X

1st ride review Antioch to Reno and back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st ride review Antioch to Reno and back

Above is the route I ended up taking. The 1st thing I need to say is I had never been on a ride more than 40-50 miles
    just tooling around the Bay Area. This was my first ride anywhere that I had to actually get another tank of gas and keep going.
    I had a function to go to in Reno and used it as an excuse to go see what riding was all about (I've also only been riding a year)

Saturday morning at 7:00am is when I pulled out.

I had wanted to get a Throttlemeister Cramp Buster for my bike and my local Cycle Gear didn't have one
    so as a dual purpose visit, point B on the map was the brand new HUGE Cycle Gear in Sacramento.
    (I picked up my Cramp Buster (well worth all of the 12 bucks!) and a small can of chain lube.)
    I'm getting ahead of myself though.

I started off going out 4 from Antioch and went over the Antioch bridge. (I've driven this many times and even rode it a couple)
    Where I started to vary though was instead of cutting over on 12 to get to 5 or 99 as I have many times in the car, I just
    went straight out 160 toward Isleton and rode 160 for a good while. (Very beautiful out there) Here's a pic of a bridge I went over....

After the scenic ride out 160, I hopped on 5 for a short blast to Cycle Gear. I got up there a little before
    they opened, so I stopped at a Starbucks right down the street for a donut and some lemonade to wait
    the 15 minutes for them to open. The new Cycle Gear up there is HUGE compared to my local stores.
    If you are in the area, definitely drop by and check it out. (If anyone does, they didn't have much signage,
    go into the deadend at the end of Date and go over to the left, it sits along the freeway side)
    After picking up the Cramp Buster and chain lube, I spent the next 7 miles going down Madison to catch Hwy 50
    to head into the mountains trying to get used to holding the throttle.
    (At first, it's a little strange riding in traffic trying to avoid pushing it down. After you get used to it though it's very nice)
    Started heading up 50 and it was just gorgeous....

I stopped in Pollock Pines to fuel up and get harassed by the locals to put the bike
    through their "car wash". Um no, and I continued up 50....

I did NOT gas here, but it was the most expensive place I saw on my route.
    For you non-Californians...yes it sucks!

Continuing on 50 I started getting closer to Lake Tahoe....

Upon arriving in Lake Tahoe, I made a stop for some quick Mclunch and took some
    more pics. This pic was right as I was crossing the state line. I was thinking, "crap, I can't split lanes anymore"

So for good measure, I split traffic right before taking this picture
    A picture at the lake...they just don't do it justice....this was at a little rest area for a bathroom stop.

After meandering around the lake, I cut over on 28 (which they were doing construction
    and had it down to 1 shared lane) Luckily I hit it right when my way was allowed to go
    as the sign said to expect delays up to 20 minutes. YIKES!

28 is a connector to 431 which comes into Reno called the Mt. Rose Hwy.
    What's that white stuff called??? Just kidding of course....

Anybody that loves twisties will LOVE 431 coming in to Reno. I unfortunately like
    to just cruise slow mountain curves and not quick turn backs.

Had a good time at my function and rode home Sunday morning for time rather than
    views so I took 80 to 5 back home. Stopped once at the Foresthill exit and made it
    in less than 4 hours. I only took one picture of the ride home.....

If you've come this far and want to see all the pictures I took the link is:
    http://jeff.alfordcomputers.com/ridepics/index.htm

All in all I had a really good time and am looking VERY forward to the next adventure.

I highly recommend the Throttlemeister Cramp Buster as it helped my hand immensely.
    Here is a link to it for sale at Cycle Gear:
    http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=CRB_07-4071&tier2=3092

The other thing I can recommend is some headphones I got at Target, they are the
    soft earbud style and have noise cancelling built into them.
    (the noise cancel unit takes 1 AAA battery) Music and earplugs in 1!
    Some people will probably NOT recommend using these, but I loved them.

Thanks all!

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffro7172; 05-19-2008, 03:57 PM. Reason: formatting

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Awesome ride. Gotta hit Yosemite next time

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Can you post a link for the noise cancelling earphones? I'm looking for a good set.

Great pics, btw. Looks like an awesome ride!
      -
      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Hey Jeffro,

This is a pretty cool post - thanks for sharing. Looks like you had a pretty good time, too.

You know, there are times I get off of my Kat after like a 400 mile Saturday, and kiss the Cramp Buster on my throttle. It is easily the best mod from a price/return standpoint!

Two quick questions:
        1) What are the tall things poking up out of the ground?
        2) What are the curvy things going on with the road? Are they broken?

We don't have stuff like that here in Florida...

Be safe.

- Darrell
        Originally posted by Nero
        "Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball."
        SUPPORT YOUR FORUM: Buy a KR decal!

MY 2001 600 KATANA - Sold... But never forgotten.

Comment

nice report thanks for putting the link to the rest of the shots too.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Here is a link to the headphones I got at Target. It worked well to have the mp3 player and the noise cancelling module in my jacket inside pocket. I tried wearing my mp3 player in the kitchen with my mp3 in a pants pocket and the length of the noise cancelling module to putting the buds in my ears was just a little too short. (I'm 6'4" though)
            I figured for 30 bucks it was worth a try. With them not even on that loud, I can't hear my bike running standing next to it (stock exhaust)
            It's probably not a safe thing on the road, but for the distance trip I enjoyed them a lot!

2001 Honda CBR1100XX - Super "Redbird"

Comment

Nice post and great pics. Thanks.
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

That looked like a great ride and you were about 2 miles from me when you stoped at the Cycle Gear ( its huge compared to their old store but not as big as Chaparral in LA) I'm going to Zephyr Point in South Lake Tahoe Friday come home Sunday. Humm I wonder what the Silver fork sign says now.
                My carbon foot print is bigger than yours.

1988 GSX1100F with 93 plastic, Avon AV45 front & AV36 rear rubber and a SS2R full exhaust system.
                Other bikes:
                2 1985 CR500
                1 1987 CR500
                1 2003 CR85 Supermoto

Comment

Working...
                X