X

The 1200 Dollar Special Redux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1200 Dollar Special Redux

ok if you dont know what im talking about, read through this thread.

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
    and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

In short, The Katana CP bought three months ago as a replacement for his stolen Kat was purchased by me last night.

Getting this kid back together was a real adventure, so was getting her to fire, the Battery is still weak as hell (and is on the short list of replacement). But i got her home really late last night, got her parked in the garage and CP and I went back to his house to drop him off and go back home (4 trips to tampa and back to St. Pete in three days- sheesh!!)

Besides the crap tire on the front, the only thing that really bothered me on the trip home was the levers. The clutch lever works with some effort (with half of the lever missing) and the brake has that "stunter Curl" to it. I hit up Cycle gear on the way home and was surpirsed that they had OEM replacements in Stock. In and out in 10 mins (i was in the store yesterday grabbing the synthetic Oil for the bike and brake fluid) and im on my way home with my precious loot.
    Praying that the levers correct the problem with the clutch, I started with the Lever, then i will go to the Cable, and if it doesnt correct itself, then i got to dig into the clutch itself (praying that i don't have to) I will post a reply to this thread whether it works or not.

Now onto other things, such as why this thread exists in the first place.
    I chose to start this thread for the reason to keep KR up to date on what is going on with the bike the Community that we are, bought for CP. Even though he no longer has it, She is still around, still kicking, and as long as they is breath in my lungs, she is gonna be around. she is going in for a total restore to stock config (minus the exhaust, and engine bits that were installed), My mod monster is my 600, the 750; however, is staying totally stock, even down to the paint job. about the only visual upgrade will be the 03+ and up tail for the added tail bulb. everything else will be stock
    So stay tuned kiddies, as I update the thread

Wow good deal. yeah keep us updated with pics
    sigpic
    Update Jul 11 2014
    Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

-
      -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

ditto to what they said. good to hear this kat is staying in the kr family.
        Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
        www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Here are some pics...

Photos courtesty of the Original Ebay Seller and the Cyberpoet

General Right side profile

Left Side Noting the Damage to fairing and the Clutch Lever and the Front Engine Cover

the Stunter Curl Brake Lever

Tank (dent not shown) but general Paint Condtion (as stated in CP's thread)

Tail shot

Yosh Slip on (sounds better than a D&D)

General Rust, and Rear Set

Close up of the Rashed Engine Cover

now the Clutch Cable was been replaced today as have the Brake Lever

Comment

the picture of the yosh looks like the bike is spinning the rear tire...wierd lol
            sigpic

Comment

yeah CP was running the engine while the bike was on the centerstand.

Comment

Ok Update time once again....

New Front Tire Is in the garage, I snagged an Instock Pirrelli Diablo Strata (in the correct weight Class) just gotta remove the Front wheel to get it mounted. Centerstand is in the process of being Donated off my 600 Kat to the 750. Kat will still not fire- all the lights turn on- nothing at the starter switch (not to self- buy a digital voltimeter)

Comment

If you want to swap that tire for a pre-mounted Z6 (few hundred miles on it) with a MotorcycleAnchor Billet Tire Valve, let me know -- I'll be recovering it from Malloc's stolen bike in the morning and since he's only interested in the tire for later use (& I'm only interested in a spare rim to powder-coat as a test for multi-color powder-coating), we could save you the tire mounting fees at CycleGear or where-ever...

PS - Please replace the rear shock bolt that's too short/sheared/whatever-it-is-it's-not-right-nor-safe.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I give ya a call later Marc, as for now there is another update...
                    She is Legal for the Road, Visited DMV and the Tax, Tag, and Title got taken care of.

Comment

It's here, waiting for ya. I met Smitty600 today and got Malloc's bike into his hands, along with the paperwork to let him finally register something!

Cheers
                      =-= Marc
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

update time again- small progress but progress
                        I tore into the bike heavily on the left side (clutch cable issues). I finally got the Sprocket cover off the bike and the Shift assembly, peel away the cover and flip over to find at least ten years of gunk build up in there. It took some convincing to get the clutch cable out of that mess, but it finally came out. Let the Bike sit for two days planning my next moves- now that I have access to the chain and Sprockets. Today off came the Chain guard (which has the same ammount of gunk in it) Dremel'ed off the master link ends and started whacking away at the poor chain with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer. add a half an hour and pop the masterlink gives way. Off comes the chain. I could have sworn i heard the bike say thank you at this point (i had a couple beers in me) Im on the phone with CP before and right after i got the chain off and arrange to pick up the Bag o' parts he ordered for the 1200 Dollar Special - i met back up with him tonight swapped cash for parts and walked away with parts needed to actually put the kid back together once she is apart (bearings and such)
                        Now the next phase is the Removal of the rear brake and getting the rear wheel off to get to the Swing arm. Firing the bike back over right now is a moot point. the bike can run all it wants, but if the parts that make contact to the road or play with the parts that make contact to the road are either shot to hell, or the wrong parts to begin with, then its pretty much a losing battle if she fires. So i bagged the "Lets get her fired back up" Plan for now to begin addressing the Real issues.
                        I think Im starting in the rear of the bike now- LOL
                        I know she runs- I rode her home.

But overall- I would not trade the experience for anything in the world.

Comment

that is one heck of a story keep fighting the good fight man.
                          02' Katana 600
                          D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

update time once again.... (with pics)

ok now some of ya'll know about the front tire from hell

Well remember Cp rode this Tire to his house- then I rode it from Cp's joint to my garage - talk about scary!!!!

I got a wild hair to finally do something crazy- i shimmied the bike out of the hole it has in the garage. (Basically threw the 600 and the 250 outside) and Go making my makeshift bike front end lifter thingee. (two ratching straps and a beam in the rafter of the garage....

yeah what a mess- no real room in the garage to do this properly but hey i do what i had to do to get the front off the ground. Note the Emergency Ninja 250 Front rim on the bike. and the jack stands under the cradle.

ok now with the front wheel off the bike i get a good look over of it and find more than i would like to see. a cross cut across the entire width of the tire- yeah this bald kid was way past done. Hop into the Car and off to cycle gear with the rim and new tire. The guys looked at me with disbelief that this tire was ridden on- 20 minutes later i got this out of the trunk....

I cleaned the wheel the best i could- there are still some black spots i need to rectify, but one of the three major issues with the bike have been addressed- its now on the bike

Comment

its comin' along, keep it up!!!
                              myspace
                              2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Working...
                              X