No announcement yet.
X

Why did you buy a Katana(s)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought my 750 brand new back in 1993 - do you think I can remember that far back?

Actually, I can...I wanted something with sport bike capabilities, but not as hard edged as some of the then current sport bikes were becoming. I was, and still am 6' 1" and about 215 lbs. (It's distributed a bit differently now, though.) Even then, it was hard to fold myself onto most of the go-bikes.

And insurance companies were starting to kick back big time about high performance bikes. Some were just flat refusing to insure certain bikes based on horsepower. Your record and the size of your check didn't matter, certain bikes, virtually ALL of the interesting ones, were DoA on the insurance agents desk.

As I saw it, there were really only two choices for me...the GSX-750F and the Honda VFR 750F. The magazine know it alls loved the VFR, but they couldn't quantify it intelligently. (The redness of the paint, the lovely sound of the engine, etc.) Me? I couldn't find a meaningful difference in the published performance specs of the two bikes, big S had always been good to me (three prior Suzi's at that point) and I really, really liked the air cooled engine. (still do.) Best of all, I could buy three full years of full coverage insurance for the cost difference between the two.

Still have the Kat, still like the Kat. Simple as that. I fit it, it fits me, I love riding it. Very rarely use it for commuting or work, it is simply a gone riding toy.

**** Holzwarth (new member, old rider)
    Dick H

"Well, my rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow...."

Comment

• I was looking for a good beginner bike, I had heard that a Ninja or a GS650F would be the best to try out but I couldn't afford any of them. Atleast not a bike in good condition. So I took a look at the most affordable bike and I happen to run across my Katana. I had put the cart before the horse, I didn't have my license so I had a coworker ride it for me and he said it was a perfect bike to start on. He was right.
      Grab life by the horns and punch it in the nose!

sigpic

Comment

• I bought my Katana in Tennessee, brand spakin new in 2006. It is my first and only bike so far. I didnt shop around much and it was more of a impulse buy, but i am happy with the bke over all.. though i wish i would have got a 750, for the extra power. but now i am looking forward to putting bigger engine in the bike so all should be good after to long. Overall great bike lots of fun to ride..
        ~Hand

Comment

• I was looking for a bike and my father-in-law's friend was selling his kat, my father -in-law decided to buy the kat for me so I wouldn't have to spend any money. No way was I going to turn it down, at first I was kind of like, ehh...what's a katana, and wasn't really too into to it, but once I saw it in person and rode it I fell in love. Eventually I will get rid of my Kat when I get my Busa a few years down the road though, the Busa is my "dream" bike.
          sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

• it was cheap
            Live to ride,
            Ride KATANA!

Comment

• When I was looking for a sportbike, I had asked a friend who works at a motorcycle repair shop, to keep an eye out for a Suzuki sportbike. About a week later, he called and told me about a 1990 Kat 600. For my first sportbike, i figured a 600 would be enough to enjoy and learn a new riding style, compared to my other bike, a 1982 Suzuki GS850L. The bike was in great shape, and got a clean bill of health from my mechanic friend.
              The previous owner already installed the K&N pods, jet kit and Vance and Hines SS2R pipe and the 5 degree ignition advancer. All this work was done though my friend's shop, so i know it was done right. I installed flush mount turn signals, created my own fender eliminator kit, Progressive front fork springs.
              Last edited by scottb; 07-28-2009, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• why i did

Well to b honest i have had a many of bikes in my time. mainly all crusiers. they very from "and still have most" 1981 Honda cb350 special, suzuki gs 800, Yamaha virago 750, and a Yamaha roadstar 1600.. i still have the last 2 but i live 10 miles from work and i was getting tired of lugging the 1600 around and it scrapes in curves and etc.. so i saw a guy down the road from me had a 1990 suzuki kat 600 for sale or trade and i have always wanted to try one.. well i did and i love it and now my other half wants a kat.. my roadstar we just use for long trips but i almost always am on my kat.. i plan to get a newer one one day
                2000-Suzi Kat GSX600f (Suzi Blue)
                1990-Suzi Katana GSX600f (Suzi Q)
                2002-Yamaha Roadstar XV1600

Comment

• I bought mine because it was exactly in the price range I was looking for. It seemed like a pretty good "beginner" bike, but at the same time something I could be comfortable with for a few seasons. I was also very confident in the care that was taken with this bike. It had only one owner previously and the dealer was not pushy at all...the stars just seemed to align on it.

OH...and I got the wife's approval

Comment

• A suitable Honda wasn't available .....
                    Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 07-29-2009, 06:08 PM.
                    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
                    X