X

wire missing???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire missing???

I am still working on a 1990 Kat 750. I had to put on another wiring harness because the guy I got this bike from butchered it bad. I have a lower mid range miss/hesitation but it does run great full throttle. Electrical?? I noticed a red wire with a slide connector from the new harness but no place I can find it goes to it is a good size wire about 10 or 12 gauge could this go to some engine function it does run and charge without it. I do have a problem starting this bike unless is is hooked up to a battery charger pulling my hair out trying to fix this mess any help will be appreciated thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ONE OF THESE DAYS THIS THING WILL RUN RIGHT

Might help if you tell us where the connector is... is it at the front right, front left, center or rear of the wiring harness (compared to the bike's layout), etc.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

it comes from the wiring harness near the battery it is part of the new harness which I believe is from a 600 so I was told the wire is definatley hot so it is connected to the battery somewhere just not sure where it goes it does not have enough length to go the the coils maybe some connection near the battery. the bike does start and charge won't start without a charger most of the time even though the battery is charged

Comment

Maybe someone added something . I have some red wires straight to the batt for the neons the PO put in .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

was told the red wire could be for a fan from a cali model which makes great sense any ideas why the bike will usually only start on a charger???

Comment

is the batery new? i had a problem like that on a 750 honda shadow, turned out the plates in the bat were shot.... try the batery
            "at 140 MPH, life some how seems BLURRY"

Comment

If it is a new battery I read somewhere that they need to be charged before use.
              here's some southerly advice that may come in handy down the road a piece... Next time you are too drunk to drive, walk to the nearest pizza shop and place a delivery order. When they go to deliver it, catch a ride home with them.
              http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/dragkota98/

Comment

Well , if the battery's discharging , it'd be from something shorted to ground , not from a wire that LOOKS like it should be hooked into the battery . If that wire went to something that needs power and isn't GETTING any , it won't be ABLE to short , so now power drain . UNLESS perhaps that's the wire from the alt TO the battery to charge it , in which case as soon as you pull the cables off from the jumper vehicle , it'd die . Of course , this is all merely speculation on my part , but I think my logic's pretty sound .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I just checked the battery and the level was very low you can see the top of the plates I don't know how old it is so I should try a new battery as far as the hesitation I have an idea on a vaccum leak. makes sense it runs great at or near full throttle because the carbs are throwing all the fuel they can. maybe that and the battery issue is the trick

Comment

Working...
                  X