Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

did you drop your bike in the 1st year of riding?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I chose the bike fell over, as I've recently posted about, mine also rolled off the sidestand while I was pushing my seat back on.. Happened in the garage, and less than 2 months after I got it.. So, I'll vote again in a year and we'll see if I have to choose the "crash" option next.

Comment

I did the ole stop and flop at a stop sign. Forgot to put the feet down. Very embarassing.

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
        My 1981 Yamaha XS400 has fallen off the stand twice, but never while being ridden.
        Hey another "Special" rider! Had this bike for my first ever. Drove it home the first day and met a really steep hill. Short legs and very very new to bikes (had just finished a MSF-like class) I came to a stop and did a slow "timberrrrrrr". Embarassing, but I got a ton of guys to help me get the bike back up L.... not so bad if you're a girl LOL!

Have yet to have anything but the tires of my Kat touch the ground and I mean to keep it that way!

Jane
        PakkeRat - [pak*rat] small little mouse capable of collecting everything and never throwing anything away

Comment

I've been riding for years, but have had my Kat less than a year... so I voted #1.

I dropped my Kat last night in the garage while trying to put it away for the night... I stuck my foot down for the kickstand... missed & slipped on the floor. Just a couple of minor scratches on the decals (that I'm removing anyway), and a broken mirror ($20).

Comment

I guess it is time to share my experience, seeing as I started this thread.
            My first streetbike was a honda nighthawk. I had it for about a year when I went to a county fair with it one night. I parked it on the grass near the beer tent where there was a band playing. When I went to leave, the dew on the grass caused me to fish-tail. I was fighting so hard to keep my grip that I ended up giving it a bit more throttle. by this time it was like I was riding a snake and I plowed right into the side of the beer tent. Not at a high speed, but I had momentum by this time. The bike didn't actually fall over because the the tent sort of just pushed in and kinda had me wedge so it just sort of leaned over at maybe 45 degrees or so. It "disturbed" the people on the other side of the canvas. I am not really sure where the cops were before this happen, but 2 of them were in my face about 30 seconds after the fact. I think they assumed I was drunk or something, but I was as straight could be. The crowd gathered pretty fast and I was in the spot light....and was embarassed as hell. Now seeing as I didn't actually go down...and would have gotten it under control if the tent didn't get in the way.....I am not sure how to count that experience. So I will just call it my most embarassing experience. It is a small area. Word travels fast. I heard about that for a longggg time.

the first time actually dropped a bike and heard that distinctice "whack" sound it makes, was with my cbr600 hurricane. I got a flat and had to push the bike for quite a ways. Every push a bike with a flat? I was 6'1, 200ish, and in pretty damn good shapem at the time, and it almost killed me. Very exhauting. I came to a small grade and was exhausted....over dressed and sweating gallons...and pretty much had no energy left. the bike leaned away from me and I tried to hold on to it, but it went down and I collapsed on top of it. I was too tired to even bother trying to pick it up. I just laid there for 10 minutes or so to get my strength back to pick it up. I got it up, pushed it off the road and walked the rest of the way without my bike. cell phones back then were the size of a gas tank and cost $2799.99, so I didn't have one.
            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

i actually dropped my the 2nd day i had it. i was angry!!!! i fell about 30mph in a parking lot and thats when i discovered gravel and parking lot dirt really became my enemy. i jammed the front break to do a quick stop and boom thats all she wrote
              "No regrets, that's my motto. Well... that and everyone Wang Chung tonight." -Out Cold 2001

Comment

I bought 2 Kats - one for me and one for the GF. Her's was delivered 1st and when the guy rolled it off the trailer, it was my very 1st time handling a bike. This was only a year ago and I remember my first thought was "Holy sh!t, these things are huge (and heavy)".

Anyway, I was beside the Kat rolling it down the driveway and towards the end, my driveway curves (while sloping). As I rounded the curve, I forgot about the slope and she fell away from me, dragging me down on top of it. But the embarrasing part is: because it fell in the direction of the slope, I couldn't pick it up and had to go get the delivery guy to help me

I was the epitome of 'n00b'

Needless to say, when I told the GF she laughed at me 'cause I dropped it within the first 2 minutes, but that was the only bike I dropped (i.e. have yet to drop my bike, hehe)
                "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

I layed my bike down within the first few hours of buying it. Thats what i get for buying a bike when i had never ridden before in my life

Comment

i have been riding dirtbikes for a good 4 years. i had an older 1979 suzuki ts 125 and that was my first motorbike ever ridden. the first week i had it i mistaken the front brake lever for the clutch at about 40 mph and did a superman into my parents driveway ripping the silencer pipe (which was rigged on anyway) off. it also broke the REAL clutch lever in half. my injuries were minor. another time on the same dirtbike i was riding in a cornfield and the corn was really tall. my brother had a dirtbike and we would ride on the outside of the field on this path we made. well the one day i rode off without him and turned around and was coming back at a pretty good speed. i turned to round the corner and here he comes around the same corner. i didnt have enough time to react and both of our front tires smacked into each other sending us both flying in the air. no damage was done to my suzuki but it was flooded from laying over and it was leaking fuel on the ground. from that day on we rode together as to know where each other was at. now to my katana i have had it since the beginning of march. its an 88 and from the condtion its in i would say it was never off of two wheels. the first day i got it i was pushing it into the livingroom(where i keep it) and i had my girfriend sit on the seat to hold the bike up while i put the racestand underneath the back. i saw the bike starting to tip and i grabbed the grab bar and was holding her and the bike up until she got her footing. so far thats the closest the bike has been to being laid down. maybe the bike is good luck atleast i hope my goodluck keeps going within it. there is not 1 crack on the fairins and i want to keep it that way. as for me i am a newbie and i take corners twice as slow as a pro could and i keep the 3 second distance from the car ahead. the space cusion did pay off for me though as i was about 2 seconds behind the car in front of me and the car didnt swerve or anything and i saw this dead cat laying right in my path of travel. i didnt have a chance to even think about it..i just reacted by swerving the bike hard to the right just barley missing the cat. it really got my heart racing though. but anyways so far so good hopefully this post wont be my demise.

Comment

My dirt bike injuries are interesting.

caught some air one time and the front came down first...right into a hole. I actually knew what it was like to fly for about 20 feet. I had an open face helmet on at the time and i planted my face into the dirt. my nose, chin and forehaed look like someone slapped me with 80 grit sandpaper. It broke my tooth and I had a couple of stitches in my inner lip.

another time racing on a logging road with a buddy and we came around a corner only to meet up with a truck coming. my buddy and i were side by side and I had to slam into the side of him and push us both off the road in order not to become a hood ornament. I am not quite sure who hit what and where things went from there, but I took a slow ride home with broken ribs from that incident.

another time we were climbing the banks in a pit and I didn't quite make it up. the bike went one way, I went another...but landed on my feet. gravity took over and was headed down the bank faster than my legs could keep up. just before the bottom my ankle twisted bad enough to fracture. that was a painful ride home.

there were other incidents as well, but I can't count them as the same as a street bike. moto-x is just that kind of sport where dumps and spills are part of the game...and injuries too. so I won't hold anyone's moto-x dumps against them. In fact, if you never dumped a dirtbike....then you never really rode a dirtbike the way they are meant to be ridden..lol.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I missed it by less than 20 days. I went 11 1/2 months before I fell off.
                        Race On The Track ... Never On The Street

Comment

you're SUPPOSED to crash dirtbikes! They absolutly don't count at all.

If you don't lay down a dirtbike (preferably the crash starts while you're in mid air) , give it back.

Comment

Last year (my first year riding)...

#1) Two weeks after purchasing my starter 97 Yamaha XJ600S SECA II... I went down on a highway on-ramp trying to avoid a large unexpected pothole mid-apex. It was way to deep to ride through, so the option was go for the inside and risk hitting pavement, or go for the outside and risk hitting grass. Needless to say a cager woke me up in the grass about 2 minutes later... I picked the bike up and rode it home before the cops could get there. I had a headache for a couple days and some rash on my leg. All bike damage was masked/repaired prior to trade-in.

#2) Two months after purchasing bike #2 (my kat) I went down in the rear parking lot of my housing complex. Basically there is a large brick building which has a small paved C-shaped driveway/lot around the front and side. The rear of the building is a gravel parking lot, where you access the basement/garage of each townhouse. Well... I was coming around the side onto the gravel and a car was headed straight at me, so I swerve to avoid him and the front end washed out. Ended up with a busted right front turn signal, scuffed main fairing and signal generator cover, and a very scarred neighbor who still won't look me in the eye.

#3) Riding through the g/f's parents wet back yard to get to driveway from their shop building at night. Everything is fine until I spy 2 dogs running at my front tire at full speed. I was either going to hurt the dogs, my bike, or both. I love the dogs so I got on the brakes and spend about an hour picking grass/mud/etc out of my fairing mesh mod.

Other than that I probably only idiot dropped it about 4 times while moving it around in the garage drunk, pushing it through gravel, getting the sidestand caught in my shoelace, and having a passenger jump onto it like a freaking wild horse before i had both feet on the ground and my hands on the bars.

SOOOOO... i'm shooting for a big improvement this year before I invest in a new paintjob.

I gotta say it... we need to get Jason05 to post his stories.
                            I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                            http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

my first bike was a marauder 800, heavy sucker too. i had it tip over a few times. never did anything to it, the only thing to touch the ground were the pegs.

then i had a slow speed drop, in front of a car full of girls non the less. that kinda sucked. i was taking a turn kinda fast thougth the turn was sharper than it was. ended up down shifting one to many times and locked the rear tire up going maybe 10mph and it slid then dropped. i was at a stop by the time it fully dropped so it didnt slide. i landed both feet on the ground stradling the bike feeling stupid. ever since i dont try to show i just remind myself of that incident.
                              03 katanika

Comment

I'm still in my first year of riding, so we'll see, but so far I haven't dropped it. That didn't stop a pizza guy from knocking it over though.........
                                What the deuce!?!

Comment

Working...
                                X