X

New Bike...Spring Cleaning

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike...Spring Cleaning

So I just purchsed a 98 Katana 750. It needs a little bit of work, and I am slowly compiling a list. I have downloaded the manual (It says its for the 600, but I gather that the two are similar mechanically?). My problem is that I am clueless as to where to purchase parts. There are a few local shops (Cyclegear, etc) and ive found a few online, but I'm not sure what the reputable ones are. Also, for my car, say, there are some parts that I would never buy aftermarket, and some that I would be stupid to buy from the dealership.

Basically, I'm looking for motorcycle maintenance 101. From an earlier post, I know I should probably do the following:

What the bike needs (assuming it hasn't been done):
    15k service including valve adjustment and oil change (using only a 10w40 API SF/SG rated -- not API SJ/SL/SM! -- and preferable also JASO-MA rated motorcycle oil).
    Replace all brake lines (every 4th year -- good time to upgrade to SS lines) and brake caliper seals;
    Flush all brake fluids (every 2nd year, every year in high humidity locations);
    Replace all fuel & vacuum lines (every 4th year for reliability);
    Probably could stand to have the air filter replaced;
    Run a load of techron through your fuel system to clean out the dried fuel residues in the system;
    Lube all the cables, replace if binding;
    Fork oil and fork oil seals (every other year).

I also want to see about replacing the clutch, as that seems like a straightforward job. Any advice?

Thanks!

How many miles does it have?

How long had it sat?

------------------------------------
    15k service including valve adjustment and oil change Mobil1 MX4T
    Replace all brake lines Definitely get SS lines (Galfer is good), Open up the calipers and follow the instructions in your manual to clean the pistons and replace seals...new HH pads, regrease, you're good to go...it's VERY easy)
    Flush all brake fluids (every 2nd year, every year in high humidity locations) Not very much difference of performance from high end to low end...just go cheap. While you're at it, get Cyberpoet's Bleed Valves
    Replace all fuel & vacuum lines Very Easy...just get it from Cyclegear (lines, and you cut to your measurements)
    Probably could stand to have the air filter replaced K&N stock replacement conical filter (no rejet required...just lasts longer...much longer)
    Run a load of techron through your fuel system to clean out the dried fuel residues in the system Drain the carbs, then do this
    Lube all the cables, replace if binding;
    Fork oil and fork oil seals (every other year). [/u]

Comment

16100 miles. It sat for a couple of months. I know it needs new fork seals and a can of seafoam through the fuel system. I may also need a top end rebuild, thats still up in the air.

Comment

Top-end rebuild at 16k ?
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
        X