Questions about aftermarket gauge wires, and opinion on wiring harness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about aftermarket gauge wires, and opinion on wiring harness

Too long, didn't read version.

1- Would you replace this harness judging from the picture?
    2- If yes, how hard would it be to be swapped out by a normal guy?
    3- Why are aftermarket gauges short on wires compared to the factory stuff?

The I got time to kill, lets read this guys long a$$ rant version

A friend of mine gave me this 97 gsx600f. He bought it to work on, and abandoned shortly after. Seeing how the company I worked at decided to go bankrupt, I have some free time, yay?

So whats do you think about this? Should I replace this with a like-new one from ebay? Or does it seem like it still is usable? I have the wiring diagram from the sticky But having everything all cut and crimped together kinda worries me. The new lights and gauges I'm installing I plan on soldering and shrink wrapping everything.

I can handle smaller maintenance jobs on my cars, the usual oil change, brakes, radio install, and the odd troubleshooting. I'd say the typical level of knowledge of an automotive enthusiast, but tend to shy away from electrical stuff. How hard is it to replace?

Also, I noticed with the current aftermarket gauges installed, not all the wires on the OEM harness is used. But supposedly these things seem to handle everything the OEM gauges can handle. What gives? Even the Koso TNT gauge I bought to replace the Ebay gauge is short by a dozen or so wires.

Last edited by Whoisjn; 02-01-2017, 11:22 PM.
    Check out my Youtube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpY...n1Nc_AMReYa41Q

Looms are cheap and fairly easy to install. You may have an issue as the 96/97 have their own loom, not a pre Loom and not a post loom but, a cross between both as the 96/97 is the transition years. Pre bikes are old school analog/electronic, new stuff is Digital more complicated needing less electrical input but, requires a sensor.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Looms are cheap and fairly easy to install. You may have an issue as the 96/97 have their own loom, not a pre Loom and not a post loom but, a cross between both as the 96/97 is the transition years. Pre bikes are old school analog/electronic, new stuff is Digital more complicated needing less electrical input but, requires a sensor.
      Thank you for the quick response! I see, would you think it be detrimental to ride without what looks to be most of the wires connected?

Comment

You know that answer or you wouldn't ask. Being it will be a street fighter....I don't know what you're planning. Just a Speedo, just a tach...the head wiring is just the gauges and signals. The manual is available in mechanics 101. You should be able to graft that portion from any pre 600 loom. From what I remember that portion did not change during the 96/97 years
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

I'd go with a new wiring harness - if you can verify it's not also hacked up.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

If your going fighter and minimalist.... List what you need, remove all the rest.

Wiring harness will be way over bust for a fighter... strip it down or replace with a custom harness. More economical to use the wire out of the harness though.

This is 30 year old tech... so nothing real special for the harness. No major hidden components. The most likely reason you have so many extra wires... non necessary things are already removed. There are like 4-5 lights that have their own wires in the OEM gauges. Obviously not needed any longer if that's been swapped with aftermarket. There will be other things like that. The clutch /kickstand safety switch and relay system. Probably been modded. Neutral light? Oil Light? Turn signals? Tach? High Beam? Fuel Gauge? All had wires going to the dash with the OEM harness.

So pick what you want. Narrow down the wires needed for those things. Ditch the rest, clean up the harness, and re -wrap the harness with harness tape (please don't use electrical tape... ).

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

After looking at the bike more this morning, there seems to be duplicate colors so I wonder what the previous owner apart from my friend, actually did. If anything replacing the harness should allow me to be reassured.

I'll probably will do as Kreylyn said, and keep what I think is necessary

Besides, it looks like it a landslide victory for replacing the harness lol, I have the best one Ebay has to offer on its way home

Comment

Got the new wire harness maybe 90% in. A few clips under where the triples/ where the fuel tank was before I ran out of daylight. Wiring diagram helped a bunch in terms of figuring out what went where at least to understand what was where.

Much cleaner up front now.

But was hoping KR could help with a few questions that popped up. Is my 97 gsx600f suppose to have a cooling fan? Theres a cooling fan module near the fuse box that had a connection on the old harness that the new harness doesn't have. Probably spliceable? I don't see a cooling fan either though lol. Apologies if this is just something I'm over looking on the wire diagram.

This is the connection on the old harness, the one poking out and away from the photo.

Also, any idea if these are factory? I don't think I had em on the old harness. Its bundled near the split when cables go into the fuses on the battery box/tray.

This one has a Red/black strip and green/blue stripe.

this guy has 3, which made it seem weird since the wiring diagram never showed 3 wires on this side of the bike. 1 wire is red, 2nd is blue, with a black/white stripe

Almost forgot, I'd imagine this is for an engine stop switch? I dont have anymore connections for these to make, albeit light was fading so maybe I didn't look hard enough. Its the orange/green stripe and the white/black stripe

lastly, is this stock? 2 yellow/green stripe up front looks like its coming from under the tripes. Related to engine stop? or is it oil pressure? Its by itself coming out the clutch lever side of the bike leading to the front with the gauges
                Last edited by Whoisjn; 02-08-2017, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Couple of quick answers...

CA model bikes have the carb cooling fan. It's not necessary and most unplug it to prevent battery drain. CA model bikes are/were sold all over the US, and only referes to the PAIR/Second AIR systems added to the bikes. This system is meant to reduce /catch the fuel fumes that naturally evaporate off the back and prevent them from being released into the atmosphere. There is 0 effect on how the bike runs if properly removed, or if it's functioning properly.

The last picture is the clutch perch saftey switch.

Do you know specific what year model and CC that new wiring harness was sourced from?

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Couple of quick answers...

CA model bikes have the carb cooling fan. It's not necessary and most unplug it to prevent battery drain. CA model bikes are/were sold all over the US, and only referes to the PAIR/Second AIR systems added to the bikes. This system is meant to reduce /catch the fuel fumes that naturally evaporate off the back and prevent them from being released into the atmosphere. There is 0 effect on how the bike runs if properly removed, or if it's functioning properly.

The last picture is the clutch perch saftey switch.

Do you know specific what year model and CC that new wiring harness was sourced from?

Krey
                    OOOH NOO. Rookie move haha, I probably should've kept an eye out for the California version..

The Ebay-er responded, Supposedly its from a 97 600 just like my bike, only his was from Washington.
                    Last edited by Whoisjn; 02-08-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Can i purchase a plug and play aftermarket gauge for my 2000 katana?

Comment

You only have to start a thread asking the question. Hyjacking others threads is rude.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                        X