2003 GSX600F stock exhaust repacking?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 GSX600F stock exhaust repacking?

Folks,

Does anyone know whether the stock stainless steel exhaust can be repacked?
    It is soaked with oil so it needs to be cleaned or repacked. The exhaust is welded so the end somehow needs to be cut off. Did anyone do this before? I know it is much easier to replace it but I would like to keep as many original parts as possible.
    Thanks.

OOoo...

Originally posted by Katfan View Post
    Folks,

Does anyone know whether the stock stainless steel exhaust can be repacked?
    It is soaked with oil so it needs to be cleaned or repacked. The exhaust is welded so the end somehow needs to be cut off. Did anyone do this before? I know it is much easier to replace it but I would like to keep as many original parts as possible.
    Thanks.
    No, there is no way to do that. Repacking the can would not resolve the issue anyways.

The mid pipe is actually lined with an internal perforated pipe and packing also. That's actually where most of the oil probably is. My suggestion would be, just burn it out by running the bike.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I have a spare exhaust in the garage from my 1st Katana (a 1999 750)
      If you can't find a reasonable replacement locally over there, I'm willing to let it go for free, just pay shipping from Southern California. I'll wait a bit for your response before putting it up for the other members.

Comment

I appreciate your offer and definitely would like to take you up on it if it works for my bike. It begs the question whether the 750 '99 muffler is compatible with my 600 '03 bike. I will do some research and get back to you. Thanks again.

OOoo...

Comment

Originally posted by Katfan View Post
          I appreciate your offer and definitely would like to take you up on it if it works for my bike. It begs the question whether the 750 '99 muffler is compatible with my 600 '03 bike. I will do some research and get back to you. Thanks again.
          I'm 99% sure it is. Going to a 750 is something of an upgrade. Some people grind the welds out to improve flow, and some people just go to 750 headers instead. Link:
          motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

98-03 were the same for basically everything. So header should be compatible. If you do this though you will likely need a jet kit, as the extra flow might lean out the bike too much.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Thanks, this is great! Excellent resources.
            Last edited by Katfan; 09-20-2016, 05:03 PM.

OOoo...

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              I'm 99% sure it is. Going to a 750 is something of an upgrade. ...you will likely need a jet kit, as the extra flow might lean out the bike too much.
              It will actually work out great because I have been struggling with carb issues. I made adjustments after much research and changed one thing at the time. Right now I assume I am running lean. Th engine starts now right away and runs solid on "choke" but stalls when i pull the throttle.
              I noticed that one of the main jets in #1 is the same (115) as in #2 & 4 but #4 is only 112 like it is specified.

Anyway i have been tinkering with this baby for some time, made good progress from not running at all to this point and I am not going to give it up.

OOoo...

Comment

Working...
              X