X

oil from right side

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil from right side

I have a oil leak somewhere on the right side of my engine. The left side is clean where would i start looking also there is a sound i can't pin point, bike is an 01 600 kat i am at work now but will upload a youtube video of the sound when i get home and maybe someone can lead me in a direction on it. It doesn't sound like the sewing machine sound but more like taking a screwdriver and scraping it accross metal more pingy then anything.

you'll need to replace the valve cover gasket. Its a pita to change. You'll need to pull the body work off, gas tank off, support bar under the gas tank off, coils off, disconnect the throttle, and choke cables. then you'll be able to get to most of the valve cover bolts. I find that I also have to take the support bolts off the oil cooler and tilt it forward so that you can reach the forward most cover bolts. Once you get those loose, tap the cover some and you might have to use a flat screw driver to pry some to get the cover to lift up and off. then you'll need to scrap off all the old gasket that remains. Its a really good idea to adjust your valves while you've got all that off. Then just reinstall with a new gasket.

Even with my new gasket installed, I still got a little seepage from the right side of the gasket, so I took RTV gasket maker and basically "sealed the valve cover all the way around the head of the motor with this stuff. That worked for a good while.

As far as the sound goes, umm that might just be the normal sound but like I said, you may want to adjust the valves to make sure one of them hasn't worked their way loose or is too tight.

Refer to the repair manual as to how this is done.

Comment

Thanks ill look for a new gasket and get it installed nice clean looking bike there.

Originally posted by Stinger02 View Post
      you'll need to replace the valve cover gasket. Its a pita to change. You'll need to pull the body work off, gas tank off, support bar under the gas tank off, coils off, disconnect the throttle, and choke cables. then you'll be able to get to most of the valve cover bolts. I find that I also have to take the support bolts off the oil cooler and tilt it forward so that you can reach the forward most cover bolts. Once you get those loose, tap the cover some and you might have to use a flat screw driver to pry some to get the cover to lift up and off. then you'll need to scrap off all the old gasket that remains. Its a really good idea to adjust your valves while you've got all that off. Then just reinstall with a new gasket.

Even with my new gasket installed, I still got a little seepage from the right side of the gasket, so I took RTV gasket maker and basically "sealed the valve cover all the way around the head of the motor with this stuff. That worked for a good while.

As far as the sound goes, umm that might just be the normal sound but like I said, you may want to adjust the valves to make sure one of them hasn't worked their way loose or is too tight.

Refer to the repair manual as to how this is done.

Comment

I would definitely go ahead and adjust your valves while you're at it.
        1992- project katfighter
        2005- GSXR750
        2001- TL1000R
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
        www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
        KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by wildturk View Post
          Thanks ill look for a new gasket and get it installed nice clean looking bike there.

Thanks. Ive got almost 89K miles on it. Its a great bike. Those engines last forever!

Comment

Working...
          X