X

A little help please? I'm at a loss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little help please? I'm at a loss

Here's the story, me and Manny (Talltec) were doing an oil change on my bike. We ran the bike to warm it up and it started up no problem. Was running pretty good for a little bit then the idle RPM started creeping up and it started to backfire. We turned the idle down to about 1500 and it ran a little smoother then started to backfire again. Once it got fully warmed up, it started hesistating then it died and wouldn't start up again. Last weekend, it did the same thing. We went out for a ride and got about 3 miles from the house when it died and wouldn't restart. We went out with friends for the afternoon and when we got home, it started right up again no problems.

So at that point, we pulled the drain plug on the oil pan and the oil gushed out and seemed almost watery. I mean it splashed out of the drain pan everywhere. However there was no metal shavings or anything in the oil.

Last summer it ran fine so I'm at a loss. Does it sound like I need to rebuild the carbs again? Or maybe just a sync issue? Or something major?
    sigpic

One or more of the float needles is not sealing off. That means with out question your going to need to pull the carbs off. Not a full rebuild, but you will need to resolve why the needle isn't sealing.

It could be float level, sticking floats, dirt/trash in the bowls, damaged needles, or fuel deposits in the float needle seat.

If you pull the carbs off, don't immediately drain them. Instead, hook up an aux fuel line with them in a catch pan so fuel doesn't leak out all over. You can simply narrow down which ones are leaking by blowing on the fuel line when the bowls are full. The one's with the issue will allow fuel to leak out with the aux source or air bubbles when you blow on the line. (be sure to wipe off the line before putting your lips to it, gas burns and sucks to get in your mouth!) When working right, full bowls should allow no air at all to flow when you blow on the line. If you can move any air at all, they are still not right.

As mentioned, a secondary issue may be the petcock, but... properly working carbs will not allow this to happen even if you have constant fuel flow. The petcock issue if you have one is secondary, and fixing it only and not addressing the real issue in the carbs will not fix the problem you have, and it will return... although it may take longer for the symptoms to be apparent.

And tell Manny I said "Hey!" "

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
    X