X

20 mph wind...ride?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 mph wind...ride?

It's finally warming up again, but it looks like my ride home from work tomorrow will have 20 mph wind. At what point does the wind become a problem for you on our kat? (Not highway)
    previous rides
    06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
    next ride - another kat

A problem? Over 20, that's for sure. Unpleasant? 20 isn't fun.
    Saving grace for you might be that you're not going to be on the highway. If you're on surface streets, going 35-45 or so and there's trees and buildings to the sides then 20mph winds aren't too bad at all.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks!
      previous rides
      06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
      next ride - another kat

Comment

Don't thank me until after you get home tomorrow!

If you start feeling like the wind is batting you around too much then slow down, squeeze the tank with your knees, relax your hands, arms and shoulders and scootch your butt back so you're leaning forward more and presenting less of a sail for crosswinds. I'm comfortable dealing with all kinds of things but then I've been riding for about 24 years. You're the only one who can tell for sure where your comfort level is. If things get too wild for you then pull over somewhere and call a friend.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

It's never bothered me, but can be tiring if you're slabbing over 2 hours in high winds like that...it's like riding in rain, the only way to get used to it is to practice.

I rode through a storm that was gusting 50 a few years ago, 1.5hrs and pouring down rain, did 80 the whole time I think I took a screen shot of the radar cross section when I got home that night...
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

75mph gust will make u pee a lil at highway speed, 55mph wind will have u leaning pretty good to go straight,,anything less than 40 is just annoying if u r in heavy traffic. Instinct tends to kick in pretty quick in gusts, if you start drifting one way you'll likely lean the other. Steady winds are easy to get a feel for tho. Just go easy till u get comfortable.
            sigpic
            1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

All good advice above. You just adjust your riding style. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is to be aware of what your circumstances are. If there are any trees where you're riding, take a look to see what they're doing, as it'll give you a better idea of how you're going to react when an 18-wheeler is heading towards you in the opposite lane......Riding in the rain makes it even more interesting. It's a learning curve.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Its not so much the wind speeds ive found that pucker up the pooper lol its more the wind gusts that hit you like a brick wall outta no where or do vice versa and while your all leaned over driving straight they disappear and now you gotta quickly correct it.
                94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

On Monday I rode to work in 45mph wind and a sandstorm.... Was not fun to say the least. I could only do about 45 and be comfortable. I ended up getting a ride home that night and just picking the bike up in the morning. 20mph winds for me really are not bad. Just remember to relax your hands and don't over correct for a gust of wind.

Comment

last weekend i was riding because weather was spectacular here in Chicago, had about 40-50mph gusts but still rode. But damn, those crosswinds on the freeway going about 70-80 definitely push you around. Not only that, it was scary as crap riding over the bridges. Rode safely that day, thank you baby jesus. but OP's question depends on the rider himself. I'll probably cap mine at 50mph, depending on conditions, route and destination.
                    - = Dane = -

"Everybody knows it ain't tricking if you got it"

Comment

From my West Texas experiences (around 900 miles per week back and forth to and from gigs 6 nights per week) 40 mph winds were just a regular thing.

I'll never forget the evening I rode 65 miles, 5 miles from my gig, and turned around to outrun a dust storm all the way home, sometimes riding at 130 mph on my ZZR1200 to stay ahead of the reddish brown wall of dirt. I learned the next day that the storm brought 95 mph winds.

Lean over the tank and grip the grips ever so lightly.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

A buddy and I went for a ride last year it was in November and it was cool and breezy. 1st time dealing with wind as a noob. We hit a small bridge and a huge gust hit us hard and shot both of us almost to the other lane. good thing for no on coming traffic. That made me alert to how bad of a sail these bikes are. couldn't go over 35. I clinched up tight. good thing for this thread im learning to loosen up the hands and squeeze the tank. thanks for the info

Comment

It was windy here in Cincy over the weekend, and I'm getting better at handling the huge gusts by advice that I've got from the board here. I try to relax and tight knee grip on the tank. Was on the highway and had to ease down a bit.
                          "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."
                          1 Corinthians 10:31
                          sigpic

Comment

Cincy has nothing in the way of wind compared to what I've ridden in since moving to west Texas.
                            Still can't wait to go home to cincy for a visit this weekend though lol

Sent from my iPhone since my tin-foil hat prevents psychokinesis.
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                              Its not so much the wind speeds ive found that pucker up the pooper lol its more the wind gusts that hit you like a brick wall outta no where or do vice versa and while your all leaned over driving straight they disappear and now you gotta quickly correct it.
                              I get this going over the south bridge that spans the Susquehanna river. You'll hit the bridge only to have to lean into the wind. Then all of a sudden it stops and you almost ride into the other lane.

As steady wind doesn't bother me much as long as I remember to loosen up on my grip and relax. It's the sudden changes in wind strength that gets me.

Comment

Working...
                              X