X

1,000 miles...slab or back roads?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1,000 miles...slab or back roads?

Planning to do some touring in next few months. Taking a trip to New Orleans with stop in Montgomery, AL. My place to Montgomery is about 1,000 miles so I figured I'll make a stab at the Saddle Sore 1K. I'm trying to decide if it's feasible to kill some of my miles on a few back roads or will that take too much of my time.

A majority of my trip to Montgomery will be on I-81, from PA through NE Tenn. I wanted to hit some of the back roads in VA so as to not die from the mindless boredom of riding the 81. VA 42 and 220 runs parallel to the 81 on the western side and Skyline and Blue Ridge to the east.

Those are the roads I'm thinking of hitting during my trip. Google is stating that the ride is about 16.5 hrs on a straight run. I figured with stoppage for gas and stretching it would take me about 20hrs to get there.

Here is a break down of what I'm looking at including stoppage time in a perfect world:
    Home to Allentown: 2.5hrs
    Atown - Hagerstown: 2.75hr
    HG - Stauton: 2.5
    ST-Wytheville: 2.75
    w.v.-bristol: 1.5
    b,tn -Knox: 2
    knox - chatt: 2
    CTN- Bham: 2.5
    Bham-Mont: 1.5

Now if I decided to take a run on the BRP (getting on at Stauton and getting off near Roanoke approx 100 miles or so) it's adding another 2hrs.

Do you think adding the extra two hours on the BRP will be too much?

Oh and my scheduled leave time is about 5 AM on a Sunday.
    -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
    sigpic

This is on your bike?

Okay, here's my serious answer. 1000 miles is A LOT of miles all at once.

I think my longest day was probably around 500 and I felt like crap when we stopped for the night. If you want to eat miles in the shortest amount of time, you'll need to stick to the interstates almost exclusively.

So, assuming you stop, let's say every 200 miles that's 5 stops. Each stop will take you probably around 15-45 minutes depending on if you need a bio break or not, so lets round that to 30 mins per. That rolls you down to 21.5 hours of actual travel time. You'll need to keep an average speed of about 50mph.... so... many of the back roads probably max out at 45 (legal) and the IBA won't take a cert for a route if you've exceeded legal speeds.

I also don't think you've done a long trip like this before, so my suggestion would be to plan ahead and decide on that first day whether or not you really want to try and go 1000 miles at once. I would pick out likely stopping places, cheap hotels, friends places etc along the route just in case.
    Last edited by steves; 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

LOL. I'm not going even comment about the bike joke.

Good advice Steve. Now you have me contemplating the goal for hitting that 1K mark. I reserved a room in Montgomery but I'm really thinking about cancelling it (I can cancel before 4pm day of) so that give me some time...there are numerous places to get a spot along 81.

My longest tour was about 8 hours or so with a stop for lunch and stuff. I did about 1000 miles over a weekend but not in a day.

In VA the max speed on the 81 is 70 mph...I'll will be hitting 75 mph. According to their DOT their state speed limit on state routes is 55-65 depending on the area. BRP is 45mph. But even with that said I think I'm going to throw out that idea completely because it seems like it will be too much riding time.

And I need to rest as I have another 200 miles the following day to NO. I'll be spending 3days/Nights to NO and then head to Robbinsville, NC but stopping for 2-3 hrs in Bham to visit some sites.

You really made me think about about my stoppage time...I hardlined most of my stops for 15-30 mins but not realizing I might need more time to take a dump or two. Hmmm.
      sigpic

Comment

Time of year also plays a key part. Don't plan on the BRP to be fully open outside of the Asheville commuter corridor until May. Other sections may open at times before then, but the slightest weather incident will close them back down again.

And trying to make time on back roads that you haven't ridden before is dicey. You never know if there will be a good food and gas stop at your planned stop distance so you need to be very conservative and not pass too many or you could end up out of gas in the middle of a lonely and little traveled section of road.
        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I think it's cool that you want to try, but I wouldn't be doing a bun burner on your first trip out.

There's actually A LOT of good information in this sub forum, so I won't bother trying to say it all again. I'd be happy to answer any questions for you.

Also think about how you are going to pack. For instance, in my tank bag I keep a small container of chain lube and honda polish so that at each fuel stop I can put some lube on the chain and clean my visor.
          Last edited by steves; 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I realize you wouldn't be getting very far, but if you need to stop for the night in Allentown, I could offer a couch.

I may have to read the sub-forum for things to look for. I want to do some longer trips this year.

Comment

Since you're planning on coming down 81 past Bristol, if you want to haul a tent and bedroll there's a couple of good campgrounds in the area. Might be a good stopping point if you decide you've had enough by then. I've stayed at Warrior's Path State Park in TN and Hungry Mother State Park in VA while traveling between Arkansas and New Jersey. Both are pretty close to the highway and easy to find.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Nancy, Steve, thanks for the responses and info.

I know it's a little bit much to shoot for it on one run but what is also motivating me is the fact that I want to get to N.O. with a two day time frame. I've been studying this thread and other touring, ADV, and IBA sites for tons of info.

I like your packing list that you had Steve for your similar trip, so I'm pretty much piggy backing off of that.

I've been planning this trip seriously for about a two months now, acquiring info, overlooking routes, planning my stay, acquiring parts/items as needed.

My scheduled leave date is is in April. DST is March so I'm figuring sunset should happen around 8pm-ish. Let me give you guys my run down and maybe you can throw some additional pointers or problems you see.

As mentioned...I'm heading to N.O. with a stop in Montgomery up some sites the next day.Then from there I'm shooting down to N.O. via interstate until Mobile, AL and ride into N.O. via the Hwy 90...about a 4-5hr ride. Intially, I was going for the BBG (1500k in 36hrs) but I want to site see so that's dead.

Leaving N.O. on a Thursday, shooting up to Birmingham for some site seeing (possibly Barbers, time permitting) and then Robbinsville, NC. I'm strongly considering staying in Cleveland or Chatt instead for that night because I'm not thrilled about riding for 2 hrs at night on the 74, 19, and 129 to Rville, a very unfamiliar road to me, as Nancy suggested.

I'll spend roughly a day at the Gap and then leave Saturday taking mostly hwy and the Skyline back home.

I've been looking at the BRP org site and the NPS site for Skyline and BRP and for the most part in VA...(according to their sites) not too many closures (as yet). Most of the closures appear to be on the NC side (like you said Nancy) but I know that can change. I factored in it's closing though and have some alternate roads picked up.

I wanted to take a 4 day trip to Montreal, with a side trip to Quebec City and back to Montreal to prep me for this trip but money is probably going to prevent that from happening.

My packing list that I usually take for touring is:
                tire plug kit
                set of metric sockets
                towel
                lighter
                gps
                maps
                lube
                disc lock
                wet weather gear
                snackies
                windex in leak proof small bottle
                eyeglass wipes
                cable lock
                camel back
                zip ties
                Dyna plug
                roll of quarters,
                spark plug socket
                etc

What I purchased/getting for this trip:
                Nealy tire plug kit
                stubby swivel head ratchet
                3 pk extension bar
                extra plugs
                MC specific wet weather gear
                Homemade ICE info located in leak proof bottle zip tied to jacket

What's always on:
                home made first aid kit
                leatherman
                wire
                safety wire
                compressor
                set of foldable hex keys
                Cruze Tools metric set
                AMA card with the towing package.

I think I pretty much lived in this Touring forum but ANY additional info is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                I realize you wouldn't be getting very far, but if you need to stop for the night in Allentown, I could offer a couch.

I may have to read the sub-forum for things to look for. I want to do some longer trips this year.
                Dan, thanks for the offer...you never know I may have to take you up on that the way back. LOL
                This thread is great for info. Katriders know how to tour.

Bill, thanks for the advice, I'll look into that.

I also read somewhere to pack a small camping chair to just sit around as that helps on long tour. I had a beautiful folding chair when I first enlisted, man that chair rock.
                Last edited by professa_riddler; 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                sigpic

Comment

If you have an AMA membership... you can probably skip some of those items.

But... what if you need to adjust your chain while on the road somewhere?
                  Plan to carry at least one EXTRA set of waterproof gloves (maybe two trust me).

I'm not sure about how I feel with regard to the camel pak. I took one with one once, but only wore it for an hour and hated it

Decide if you are going to camp or not camp. Not camping costs more, but increases the stuff you'll need to carry. I wouldn't bother carrying anything related to camping.

Pack fewer clothes and plan to do laundry (quarters).

What are you using to pack your gear?
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I think your underestimating the time line for the back roads. My calculations with the BRP section you mentioned would put you a minimal of 4 hours from exit 81 to onramp 81 from the 2 points you mentioned.... and that was only if the road was fully open all the way and clear of traffic with a good steady travel time - No stops.

If it was me, I would probably break it up a bit more if the time is available, and pick slightly more reasonable routes to make it an enjoyable ride/adventure. But then I personally never got the "make your self as uncomfortable as possible for as long as possible" award either....

If your doing highway, I'm sure you can get a lot more miles out of it. If it's back roads, honestly I think your going to be seriously hurting trying to get any more than 500 miles. If you have the time I would strongly suggest you plan the route you take by doubling the estimated time for any path.

For example... If the google maps route says it's gonna take you 9 hours straight... I would plan for that to be an 18 hour ride. If you make better time you can always choose to adjust for that. If your having a hard time keeping up with your planned schedule, that can put you into some hurt if you know what I mean.

Unless you like the pain... then by all means.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Btw, get some manner of throttle lock/cruise control and some way to play music to break the monotony on the slab.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
                        I've been looking at the BRP org site and the NPS site for Skyline and BRP and for the most part in VA...(according to their sites) not too many closures (as yet). Most of the closures appear to be on the NC side (like you said Nancy) but I know that can change. I factored in it's closing though and have some alternate roads picked up.

FYI- The BRP website is notoriously out of date on road closure updates. It takes time for them to update the website.

Use this instead... -828-298-0398. This number is updated daily and lists all closures properly by mile marker. You can download or access a map with mile markers on the .org website.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Packing list

Got curious and took a look at the rules for the Iron Butt Rally. They've got a pretty good packing list at the end. They do admit that it's too much to carry but there might be something you hadn't thought of.

I've discovered that camping gear doesn't have to be huge. A Eureka Solitare tent and a fleece blanket pretty well does you, packs down into a bundle about 5 inches across by 17" long and weighs about 3 lbs total. I don't worry about cooking at the campsite anymore when I'm traveling. There's usually someplace near a state park where you can get breakfast and coffee.

A Camelbak is a terrific thing to have but the place for it is on top of your tankbag, not on your back. It really helps to take frequent sips of water. I used to take one with me in the plane when we were airdropping personnel for 10 hours a day. I spent the day next to the open door of the plane, breathing exhaust fumes and the Camelbak made the difference between being too tired to eat at the end of the day and having enough energy to go for a beer before dinner.

An AMA membership is a really good thing to have now that they include free towing if you sign up with a credit card. Could save you a bundle if something goes wrong and I think it gets you a discount at Barber, too.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I don't remember anything about needing a credit card, towing is included with my membership
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Great info peeps. I'll respond to some of the comments in the AM.

Originally posted by steves View Post
                              I don't remember anything about needing a credit card, towing is included with my membership
                              I think Bill is referring to is that to get the free tow you either sign up for automatic renewal via cc or pay for 3 years membership upfront.
                              Last edited by professa_riddler; 01-31-2013, 08:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X