X

WSMC last race weekend of the season

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSMC last race weekend of the season

Finally made it back in the country long enough to actually race!!! Turns out the weather wasn't perfect (28 degrees and raining) but still a good outting.

Saturday - Had the bike all set to go (slicks, gas and warmers on) when the first practice sessions were called. As usual, with the Torco oil in the bike it was running cooler than everyone else out there. Missed the first practice on purpose because the track was still a little damp and cold. Ran the last three practices about 3 seconds slower than my normal times. Sounds pretty bad until we found out that everyone else was running slower due to the cold conditions.

Sunday started out cold but dry. Didn't run the practices as we were keeping the warmers on the tires to get some heat in them. About an hour before the first race it started misting a little so decided to put the DOTs on the bike in place of the slicks. Put the warmers on the DOTs and waited for Immediate call for the first race (Open Modified Production). Just as we were lining up for the warmup lap, the heavens opened up and it poured. Half the field were on rain tires (increadable traction in the rain) and the rest of us were on DOT's (better than slicks but not even as good as street tires in the rain). Needless to say, no personal Best was going to be set today!!! Straight line wasn't bad however, every turn the bike was slipping and sliding and the best I could do was 4th in the race.
    The second race (Open Superbike) was pretty was pretty much a replay of race 1 with the bike slipping around every corner and just hoping it would stay up on two wheels. The rain was getting worse so we were running in a total downpour. Ended up 5th in the second race.
    Race 3 (Formula 40 Heavyweight) was an entirely different story. Still pouring rain and this time my teammate was my biggest competition. Didn't think I would be able to do too much with him since he was on rains and I was still on DOTs. Even taking off from the hot pit was an adventure as I spun the rear really bad just taking off. Once the green flag dropped though, I got the holeshot into turn one. Kept the lead by myself to the halfway point (6 lap race) when my teammate passed me on the exit of turn two ( a high speed right hand sweeper). I immediately repassed him into turn 3 on the brakes. Actually remember thinking "no way he is getting around me with 3 laps to go. It's win it or bin it!!!!". He kept passing me out of turn 2 but I would immediately repass him on the brakes going into turn 3. Ended up crossing the finish line 2 seconds ahead of him for the win!!! Actually ran 9 seconds a lap faster in that race then I had all day. Just needed the motivation to run it in and hope it would stick.
    Pretty much amazed everyone we talked to because when it was all said and done, we were only 2 seconds a lap slower than the fast guys on rains. Running a 1:57 on a 2.5 mile track in pouring rain with DOTs is almost unbelievable. Never missed a shift and never got over 160F the whole day. Thats what the Torco oil does for you!!! Bridgestones kept me upright and my Scorpion Helmet never fogged up and the shield cleared itself!!

Thanks to all my sponsors for making this a great (if short) race season for me. Terry at HRS for giving me a Suspension that just plain works, Tigue at CycleMall for Dialing in the geometry, Jimmy at MoPowerSports for almost everything on the bike, SBKPaint.com for a paint job you can't miss and huge thanks to -Torco Lubricants for oils and lubes that have never let me down and keep my bike running freaking awesome, Bridgestone for making tires I can run in pouring rain and still win, TrackSkinz for my perfect fitting leathers that even when soaking wet were as comfortable as wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Major props to both BigHeadzRacing and Short Bus Racing just for letting me be part of great organizations.
    sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
    MSF Rider Coach 27028
    MoPowerSports.com
    Torco
    SoCalTrackDays

Some pics from Saturday

Last edited by OldandReallySlow; 11-28-2011, 09:57 AM. Reason: changed picture format
    sigpic

MSF Rider Coach 27028
    MoPowerSports.com
    Torco
    SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Those are great pics. Well done on the finish and the great season
      I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
      -Unholy m-
      Current project: Un-Katchable
      sigpic

Comment

Go Harry! Can't wait for the next track season to start, I hope to see you out there (maybe even at chuckwalla )

Comment

Final race....Winning lap!!!
          sigpic

MSF Rider Coach 27028
          MoPowerSports.com
          Torco
          SoCalTrackDays

Comment

A great racer can win in the rain! just sayin'
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Congrats Harry! Nice when it all comes together and things just fall into the right places!
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Working...
              X