Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Took advice, added parts and now need more advice on a jet kit.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took advice, added parts and now need more advice on a jet kit.

OK. After conversing with others and taking some advice from some really knowledgeable people and taking some $hit off others I have built my engine into what I wanted and now I need advice on a jet kit or other mods to the carbs to help me out. Short of going to a dyno and having them do the work for me ($1000 a day on the dyno) I need to know what size jet kit I need or should build.
    Heres the specs:

- 05 GSX600F
    - 1990 GSXR 750 cams
    - 5' advance kit (home grown and adjustable)
    - Wrapped the headers and ground down what little welds that were in there.
    - GP Exhaust (not installed yet because I don't want to lean out everything too much and fry the engine). Right now it has a Yoshimura RS-3 slip on.
    - Oil cooler fan for those hot summer days
    - I think the guy before me put a stage 1 kit in because those little caps are missing off the carbs.
    - K&N air filter (will be leaving the bike soon and being returned to the stock air filter).

So what do you think? Will the stage 1 work or should I look at going upwards to a better kit? I saw some guy on ebay with an ad saying that if you sent him a list of your mods, he would build a jet kit for you. Don't know if I should trust that or not.

By the way. I am still trying to find that GSXR 1127 motor to drop into the bike. If I can find one for the right price I will be buying it and dropping it in. - - So please no, "You want it fast? Buy a different bike." That crap helps no-one. I bought a Katana because I wanted a beginners bike 1.5 years ago. I still like the bike but I want more power. I want to keep the bike I have and make it more powerful, not buy a faster bike. Did I get my point across? Looking for advice not criticism. Sorry if I come across pessimistic but it seems that sometimes a guy can get jumped on around here. None of the posts on this site address my exact bike question so I thought a new posting was warranted.
    U.S. Marine Combat Vet - Semper Fi
    05 Katana Street Fighter, GSX600F, Modified fairings, freshly rebuilt motor, ported and polished intake and exhaust ports, 5 angle valve job, 1990 750 gsxr cams, 750 gsxr headers. (wrapped), Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit, 5' advance kit, GP Exhaust,.........

I'm not one of the carb experts on the site, but i think you will be fine with a stage 1 kit. You may have to make some adjustments but i don't think you need another kit. I don't think there is a stage 3 jet kit for the post kat's anyway.
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Factory Pro stage one kit. Boom.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Stage 3 Jet Kits, generally denote running larger main jets with pod filters.

I'm not saying this is impossible, but it will take QUITE a bit of time to get correct and tune for results.

The KN with the donut in should do just fine.

I wouldn't worry about what you 'call it' just go with what you've got.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

There are no stage 3 kits for 98+ Katanas. Stage 1 is your only option. As stated Factory Pro is the best kit you will find. That Sigma Six crap is just that... crap.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
            There are no stage 3 kits for 98+ Katanas. Stage 1 is your only option. As stated Factory Pro is the best kit you will find. That Sigma Six crap is just that... crap.
            I kind of figured that this was the case in regards to Sigma. It just sounds like this guy is going to punch some numbers into some kind of "magic" computer dyno program and come up with a result.

Factory Pro, stage one.... If the previous owner had in fact installed a stage one kit from another company, how could I know for sure? Also will the factory pro kit make that big of a difference if the previous owner did install another brand?

What primary's and secondaries would you go with? Not a total Noob to this but I need to learn as I go along. I had a team of friends help me learn on cars. I am on my own with the bike so the learning curve is kinda steep.

I ordered a carb synch today. I think i'll order the factory pro kit this evening when I get home. Looks like it might be a soggy ride home tonight. Woo Hoo. Gotta love the rain.
            Thanks again for the help guys.
            05 Katana Street Fighter, GSX600F, Modified fairings, freshly rebuilt motor, ported and polished intake and exhaust ports, 5 angle valve job, 1990 750 gsxr cams, 750 gsxr headers. (wrapped), Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit, 5' advance kit, GP Exhaust,.........

Comment

Check the needles. If it's a jet kit, it will have grooves for the e-clip. 5 is Factory Pro, 6 is dynojet. My second choice would be Ivans Performance. Anything but Dynojet really. I'd take that Sigma Six crap over Dynojet.

Comment

Pulled the needle and it has 6 grooves with the e-clip on the 3rd one from the top. Guess it's a dynojet.

Question of the day is now ........ Would the Factory pro kit really make enough of a difference for me to spend the money and change it?

Holy cow. I just went to starcycle.com and found multiple stage one kits. Which one?

Comment

Factory Pro is head and shoulders better than Dynojet. But, the FP kit uses Mikuni main jets, the Dynojet kit uses DJ main jets. So you may have a main jet issue. Stock is 115 out and 112.5 in. The FP kit only includes 2 each of 117.5, 120, and 122.5. Oh, and also for some reason that only DJ knows, they come with after market slide springs. You'll want to make sure you have the OEM slide springs also.
                  98-06 SUZUKI GSX600F KATANA FACTORY PRO JET KIT 1.0
                  Last edited by arsenic; 07-13-2011, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Hey guys, I know I just went through a lot of work on my Kat engine and I am happy with it for now but I just saw this.

I have read the post on what engines will fit into my 2005 Kat. I read it from beginning to end. I am nervous though. As I stated before I had a bunch of friends and lots of beer to help me through the stuff with my cars. I don't have that here. Were I to buy this engine; is it really "plug and play"? Just yank the old engine out and put the new one in? The wiring harness will plug right in and the alternator will mount up and , and , and? I know I will have to pick up a header for it and then the jet kits and what not. I just wanted to be sure before i dive into this head first and find out that theres dragons in them there waters.
                    Sorry to sound like such a noob but this would be my first engine transplant in a bike and I wanted to be sure I wouldn't get half way through and find out I just spent a bunch of money and would need to spend a bunch more to make it work.

Thanks for the advice so far. You guys haven't steered me wrong yet so I apprecaite your advice and give thanks in advance.

Comment

Obviously you did not read the whole thing, because it answers all that.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        Obviously you did not read the whole thing, because it answers all that.
                        That post is all over the place. It goes through turbos and bandits and gixxers back to other bikes and sometimes off topic to getting info about bikes overseas. Guess maybe I missed it. Got it now though.

"ANY OIL COOLED GGSXR motor will work.
                        Carbs stay WITH engine - always.
                        Electricals stay with BIKE. (they don't know what motor you are running)
                        Swing arm CAN and probably SHOULD be a 750 (1.5"longer, andit helps!)
                        Chain & sprockets? NEW, for sure, but I like the +1 and -2 set up..."

I appreciate the good advice you gave me before but wouldn't it have been easier to give the answer? After all, the post in question is 30 pages long and does tend to swing from one end of the world to the other. I'm not trying to be a jerk about it and I did use the search function and I did read through the article. I didn't find the information that I needed or in this case was so confused by the cornucopia of off topic and on topic but not related to my question information; so i asked a question. You obviously know more about bikes than I do so i bow down to you in this forum. Remember that some of us like to have all our ducks in a row to be sure we have all the complete information before we begin a project.
                        And again, thank you for all the help you have given me. it really, truly, is appreciated.

Comment

Last edited by ZukiFred; 07-19-2011, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Point taken. The information is just scattered all over the place was my point. I appreciate the fact that you have all the time in and appreciate that you took the time to point me in the right direction. Would it be possible for someone to clean that post up a bit and sort it out? As I stated above the post goes all over the place. If that is too much work, I understand but I can't be the only beginner confused by all that scattered information.
                            This is said in jest so please take no offense at it:
                            The "masters" of this information could probably make a lot of money by writing a book or two for us lowly beginners. "Want a 1127 GSXR in your 05 Katana? Buy this book and it tells you exactly what you need to know."

Again, I am kidding. But think about it. You could bring in some coin.
                            Thanks again.

Comment

So, back to the question that I asked earlier before I got off topic and into a personal talk with Arsenic.
                              1) A stage one Factory Pro jet kit will suffice with the mods I have listed as well as the GP exhaust? Will I lean out too much at 10-11K rpm? Any suggestions as to which number jets I should use for primaries and secondaries?

2) Also, just as a side note. I saw these cams on ebay and was wondering if my 600 would even run with them in or if they would be too aggressive. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cam-M...ht_1083wt_1165
                              I know the numbers for car cams at .50 lift but again, I am not learned enough to make a wise decision on the bike cams. I can only imagine that being race cams that are stated as being for the 750 and above motors that they may be too much for my little 600.

Comment

Working...
                              X