X

2006 GSX600F Exhaust Ideas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 GSX600F Exhaust Ideas

Hi, everyone I am new to riding street bikes. I have ridden quads and dirt bikes for years. That is the extent of my experience and limited knowledge on how to repair them or mod them.

I was hoping to get some advice or suggestions on my exhaust. I would like to give it a deep throaty, gravely sound or whatever the term needs to be assigned.

Basically, I want it louder but not obnoxious, one other criteria is I would love to avoid burning my calf ever again if possible. I ride to school in shorts yes I understand that's one of many perils of riding in shorts.

I wanted to explain my situation and describe it the best way possible.

I bought a brand new 2006 Suzuki Katana GSX600F yes new it had ZERO miles on the Odometer and has never been titled. From a dealership.

Please clear up the water for me on a few points.

Above all else I prefer to work on the bike myself so it possible no welding mods etc.

1.Silencer means a specific type of muffler exhaust or is it a term for muffler exhaust? Meaning all mufflers are essentially called silencers?
    2.Oval ver Small oval is this simply preference in cost or style or just monetary concern?
    3. 14in, 9in, 13in etc is there a requirement on what must be used or is this preference?
    4.Will a real carbon fiber muffler exhaust perform better does the length matter if so why?
    5.Will the carbon muffler exhaust help to keep me from burning my calf lol?

Based on my questions can someone help me decide on a quality exhaust that looks great and sounds good and will keep the skin on my calf intact for the most part.

I do think I prefer a smaller exhaust for aesthetics and convenience. Any help for a noob would be appreciated.

By the way not really interested in going fast not opposed to it but I am a green rider.
    Last edited by xarcherx; 07-07-2011, 05:45 PM.

Scorpian exhaust is the best deep gravelly sounding exhaust I've heard on kats... really nice.

Carbon fiber cans generally will reduce the head surface exposure for leg burns, but honestly I would suggest more focus toward leg placement... jus sayn.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ya, my calf burns come from moving the bike from the parking lane I am in not from riding. Shoulda clarified that part always when I was backing up the bike.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-bCfr-EXFg"]YouTube - ‪SCORPION EXHAUST 98 SUZUKI KATANA 600 GSXF HAYABUSA SEAT COWL‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiKu3o3A1tQ"]YouTube - ‪scorpion exhaust on a katana 600‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez7_-7-y7VI"]YouTube - ‪2006 Suzuki Katana 750 with Scorpion Exhaust‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=221UdDiN-I4"]YouTube - ‪Scorpion on Katana 600‬‏[/ame]

First one listed shows a carbon fiber can.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          ...I would suggest more focus toward leg placement... jus sayn.

Krey
          Or wear pants.

Jus sayin.

You don't want to be riding without some skin protection. It may seem like a good idea to ride around in shorts but you'll really regret it if you have a spill.
          Or ride through some gravel.
          Or find a swarm of love bugs.
          Or get caught in the rain while doing highway speeds.
          Or ride behind someone when they flip a cigarette butt out the window.
          Or...

Lots of reasons to protect yourself. Invest in good gear. At least jeans, gloves, sturdy shoes (boots are better) and a mesh jacket.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

No answers to my questions?

Comment

The smaller, the louder it will be. The lighter, the louder it will be. Carbon fiber covers or cans will not conduct heat light metal ones will, so will be less likely to burn. Aluminum cans will cool much quicker than steel, but initially be just as hot.

Any slip on will not have much of a difference in performance. It's all about the sound.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Comment

Switching from a stock 4:2 (dual exhaust) header to a 4:1 (single exhaust) header can, if properly tuned, buy you from 5%-10% more top-end horsepower. Generally, that's at the cost of making a sharper transition between low-power and high-power outputs as rpms increase. (so-called "peaky" HP) Additionally, most aftermarket exhausts are significantly lighter than OEM exhausts so you do see a performance benefit from that.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by xarcherx View Post
                  I was hoping to get some advice or suggestions on my exhaust. I would like to give it a deep throaty, gravely sound or whatever the term needs to be assigned.

Basically, I want it louder but not obnoxious, one other criteria is I would love to avoid burning my calf ever again if possible. I ride to school in shorts yes I understand that's one of many perils of riding in shorts............

1.Silencer means a specific type of muffler exhaust or is it a term for muffler exhaust? Meaning all mufflers are essentially called silencers?
                  2.Oval ver Small oval is this simply preference in cost or style or just monetary concern?
                  3. 14in, 9in, 13in etc is there a requirement on what must be used or is this preference?
                  4.Will a real carbon fiber muffler exhaust perform better does the length matter if so why?
                  5.Will the carbon muffler exhaust help to keep me from burning my calf lol?
                  Krey is right, the Scorpion sounds like it fits your bill.

Two Bros exhausts are deep, and sound very nice, but not "gravely" so much as "boomy". They have a great tone.

Hindle pipes sound very very nice.

Yoshimura pipes sound like... eh.... like Yoshimura pipes. For whatever reason, it seems to me that they always sound a bit high-pitched unless they are on either a large-displacement bike or a twin. On a big bike like a Hayabusa, though, they sound like pure f'n sex. Their customer service is top notch as well.

D&D pipes are ungodly loud. I personally hate the way they sound, but some people dig them.

Giannelli makes an exhaust for the kat, and their pipes generally sound good. However, I don't know of a US distributor for Giannelli, so you might be SOL with them.

Vance & Hines also make (or at least used to make) exhausts for the kat. They sound ok. I run a Vance & Hines, but it's not my favorite sounding pipe.

Holeshot makes a pipe for the Kat as well, I believe, but I've never heard it.

As for your questions:

#1 - Silencer = Muffler = "can"
                  #2 - Tri-oval, oval, round, etc. are all just ways to describe the shape of the muffler. Muffler volume can play a role in the sound level, but there are a lot of other factors involved as well.
                  #3 - All other things equal, the shorter the can is, the louder it will be. A lot of other things come into play as well, but given equal cans, the shorter one will be louder.
                  #4 - A carbon fiber exhaust will be lighter, but performance should be unaffected as compared to stainless or aluminum.
                  #5 - Yeah, the carbon fiber mufflers won't burn you so much. But then if you are riding around in shorts, you deserve to be burned anyway. Do you know what pavement feels like at even 30mph? Like a belt sander. Seriously, wear some pants.
                  Last edited by loudnlow7484; 07-07-2011, 10:50 PM.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Thanks for the answers it is much appreciated.

I am a full time student and this is my only ride, I do not have anyone to buy gear for me. I do have a great jacket just need some pants. I am working on it but school is my main focus atm.
                    I fully intend to buy rash gear for sure. I know it makes no difference but damn I live in Florida and the heat in a car is bad enough much less on a bike in summer with a loaded back pack on lol.
                    Soon I will have gear to ride in until then my confidence level will stay on the sure and cautious side while riding.

Lastly, now I am leaning towards scorpion or two brothers exhaust can someone point me to a good part number? I see so many but it seems there are many mount configs so I want to buy the right fitment for the bike. I would like a shorty exhaust. I see the M2 and M5 ,scorpion still doing the research at this second.

Comment

Originally posted by xarcherx View Post
                      Thanks for the answers it is much appreciated.

I am a full time student and this is my only ride, I do not have anyone to buy gear for me. I do have a great jacket just need some pants. I am working on it but school is my main focus atm.
                      I fully intend to buy rash gear for sure. I know it makes no difference but damn I live in Florida and the heat in a car is bad enough much less on a bike in summer with a loaded back pack on lol.
                      Soon I will have gear to ride in until then my confidence level will stay on the sure and cautious side while riding.

Lastly, now I am leaning towards scorpion or two brothers exhaust can someone point me to a good part number? I see so many but it seems there are many mount configs so I want to buy the right fitment for the bike. I would like a shorty exhaust. I see the M2 and M5 ,scorpion still doing the research at this second.
                      You don't own a pair of jeans? I've been in Rio off and on for the past few years: I know a thing or two about heat (and wearing khaki's, jeans, or even a suit and tie in the heat). Unfortunately I also know a thing or two about the emergency room, and a thing or two about burned legs, and a thing or two about windburn, and a few more things about large insects at 70+ mph. Wear pants, gloves, helmet, and shoes/boots that give good ankle support. These are the bare minimum for me, and I'm no gear nazi. I used to ride without gloves when I was younger, and then I took a horse fly to the hand at somewhere north of 90mph, and I've not ridden without gloves since. It felt like somebody hit my fingers with a hammer.

As for the pipes, I don't know that either company makes a shorty exhaust.

Here are all Two Bros pipes that fit your bike:

The M5's are just a larger oval than the M2's. I have no idea what the Black Series pipes are. Maybe they are for the kind of people that wear Polo Black Label suits?
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                      X