First points race of the 2011 season report

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First points race of the 2011 season report

Its a good news - bad news report

Good News: I went undefeated into the final. My opponent had to beat me twice in a row to get 1st place. I had to beat him once out of 2 races.

Bad News: I broke the bike leaving the line in the first race of the final. Had to forfiet 1st place.

Now the details:

The Katana really hooked up yesterday. Went we went to dial in day 2 weeks ago the lights were not working, so I had no idea if the bike was faster or not after the off season mods. Yesterday proved the mods were well worth the time and money. Last year I was running 7.1 - 6.8 sec times. Yesterday I dialed in at 6.1 sec and was letting off at the end because I was ahead of my opponents. Who says you cant race a Kat. My dial in ET was faster than the SS bikes in my class. Made it undefeated into the final and was up against a 650 Ninja I beat in an earlier round. I figure "No problem. I only have to beat him once and he has to beat me twice in a row. I got this." I was watching the chain tensioner throughout the day because it was starting to bend. I thought it would make it through the last run, maybe 2 if I lost the first race. I was wrong. I pulled up to the line, did my burn out and lined up. Lights walked down the tree and when I dropped the clutch the chain tensioner sucked right into the swingarm and the chain popped. S**T! Pulled it back to the pit to see if I could possibly fix it quickly and run the second run. No such luck. Had to forfiet 1st place. I ordred a new tensioner and plate this morning. It should be an easy fix and parts were only $30 shipped. I just really hate losing that way, I wish the opponent would have had to beat me for the position. Plus it cut my payout in half.

All in all it was a good day. The bike is crazy fast this year and everyone went home safe, even the one rider that went down, I picked up a 2nd place payout and 7 series points.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

wait. You win money doing this? Awesome!

Comment

Holy shnikey! Your winter mods took almost an entire second off your ET, thats BIG, congratulations! Sounds like you're off to a great start to the new racing season. When stock parts start failing, you know you're going in the right direction, and some re-engineering is probably in your near future, but that's half the fun!

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
        wait. You win money doing this? Awesome!

Yes. Not a ton mind you, but the winners get a payout. After track fees and spending money for the day I took home more money than I went there with.

Originally posted by superbike View Post
        Holy shnikey! Your winter mods took almost an entire second off your ET, thats BIG, congratulations! Sounds like you're off to a great start to the new racing season. When stock parts start failing, you know you're going in the right direction, and some re-engineering is probably in your near future, but that's half the fun!

Heh heh, yea.......I think I'm going to get a guy I know to CNC me a couple of plates for the chain tensioner.

The time difference is amazing. And the bike just plants off the line. The rear didnt spin at all. Lowering to 2 3/8" off the ground and the Shinko 003 Stealth made a huge improvement. The air flow didnt hurt either.

Obviously, I cant ride it on the street with it that low, I'll rip the exhaust off, but thats not what I bought the bike for in the first place.
        Last edited by BadLuck; 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

You ordered different style adjusters right, and not just replacement stockers?

Grats on the placement and payout.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            You ordered different style adjusters right, and not just replacement stockers?

Grats on the placement and payout.

Krey

Ordered stock for now. Thats what I can get my hands on quickly and get it put back together. I going have a guy I know CNC me a couple billet plates for the end of the swingarm to avoid this from happening again. The stockers lasted a season and a day, so they might get me by until I can get the others fabbed .

Comment

If it pays your entry fees, that's awesome....mods and going fast costs though....I heard this one "how do you make a million racing? you spend two million"

Comment

Holy f***! That's a hell of an improvement!

You must be on top of the world after seeing the results of your work. IIRC, you were hoping to pick up maybe a couple of tenths, right? How does more like a full second feel?!
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by BadLuck View Post
                  Ordered stock for now. Thats what I can get my hands on quickly and get it put back together. I going have a guy I know CNC me a couple billet plates for the end of the swingarm to avoid this from happening again. The stockers lasted a season and a day, so they might get me by until I can get the others fabbed .

Just an option...

Few OEM parts out there that are already made.

I got a set of chrome plated RF adjusters with the screw going into the adjuster hiding the threads for under $11 shipped. Keep an eye out and you can find a nice set.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                    Holy f***! That's a hell of an improvement!

You must be on top of the world after seeing the results of your work. IIRC, you were hoping to pick up maybe a couple of tenths, right? How does more like a full second feel?!

You can say that again. I couldnt believe it myself. I was expecting to be in the mid 6's, so I'm real happy with it. I'm sure alot had to do with air temp and track conditions too. Hopefully I'll be able to repeat the performance or even improve. I think if I didnt let off at the end of a couple runs I may have been able to hit 6, but didnt want to break out of my ET and was already ahead.

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
                    If it pays your entry fees, that's awesome....mods and going fast costs though....I heard this one "how do you make a million racing? you spend two million"

Yea, its not cheap, but its fun. I'm definitely not in it for the money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...Q5fAccessories

Just an option...

Few OEM parts out there that are already made.

I got a set of chrome plated RF adjusters with the screw going into the adjuster hiding the threads for under $11 shipped. Keep an eye out and you can find a nice set.

Krey

Thanks Krey. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I wont be surprised if Im looking for another set soon if I dont get the billet done quickly.
                    Last edited by BadLuck; 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by BadLuck View Post
                      Thanks Krey. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I wont be surprised if Im looking for another set soon if I dont get the billet done quickly.

It just occured to me, I had a swingarm come in where the PO took some 1" wide, 16 gauge or so flat stock and welded it around the OEM plate. Made a "box cap" out of OEM adjusters that fit over the swingarm ends.

Took a hammer and chisel to get those things off, they certainly were NOT going anywhere.

That would be a quick fix using the OEM if "pretty" is less a concern over function.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

It just occured to me, I had a swingarm come in where the PO took some 1" wide, 16 gauge or so flat stock and welded it around the OEM plate. Made a "box cap" out of OEM adjusters that fit over the swingarm ends.

Took a hammer and chisel to get those things off, they certainly were NOT going anywhere.

That would be a quick fix using the OEM if "pretty" is less a concern over function.

Krey

Thats kind of what I'm looking at getting machined. Something that cant bend and go into the end of the arm. The OEM are kinda cheesy as far as strength, but they arent made to take the kind of stress I'm putting them under either.

Comment

Got the stock parts in the mail and installed yesterday. Bike is now fixed and ready for the June 4t - 5th races. I hope the new tensioner plate holds up.

Comment

Working...
                          X