X

planning a camping trip

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planning a camping trip

i am planning to make a ride from houston up to enchanted rock near austin texas in the near future by way of side roads to hit some twisties along the way. its a fairly short trip for touring compared to some of the trips on the forum. but i am planning on camping there once i get there and doing some hiking/ climbing. its been a while since i've been camping and was wondering what foods should i bring if preparing my own meals. thanks for the help in advance.

Couple can's of beef stew you casn just toss directly into the fire to heat up ?
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

So, what about your bike? I'm always paranoid about leaving my bike anywhere that I can't see it or feel that it's safe (I park in the police garage when I'm at work). Any chance of something happening to your bike if you go off hiking through the woods or camping overnight away from your bike? I love the idea of going on a long ride, and I do try to go hiking/camping once a year (not park your truck and camp - I'm talking about hiking in for 5 hours and living out of a pack for a couple days), but I don't know that I would try to do both.

As far as foods, depending on how long you are hiking you want stuff to keep up your energy while you are on the trail, but doesn't weigh much. Granola bars, stuff with peanut butter (protein), tuna packs, nuts, etc. As far as campsite foods, depends if you have a stove or not. I like to open up a can of Dente Moore beef stew, put it in a ziplock bag, then freeze it. Stays cold for the trip/hike, less weight, and not much trash to pack back out. Just cook it on the stove and it hits the spot after a long day of trails.
      "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
        Couple can's of beef stew you casn just toss directly into the fire to heat up ?
        that was one thing on my mind so looks like beef stew it is

Originally posted by Shipster View Post
        So, what about your bike? I'm always paranoid about leaving my bike anywhere that I can't see it or feel that it's safe (I park in the police garage when I'm at work). Any chance of something happening to your bike if you go off hiking through the woods or camping overnight away from your bike? I love the idea of going on a long ride, and I do try to go hiking/camping once a year (not park your truck and camp - I'm talking about hiking in for 5 hours and living out of a pack for a couple days), but I don't know that I would try to do both.

As far as foods, depending on how long you are hiking you want stuff to keep up your energy while you are on the trail, but doesn't weigh much. Granola bars, stuff with peanut butter (protein), tuna packs, nuts, etc. As far as campsite foods, depends if you have a stove or not. I like to open up a can of Dente Moore beef stew, put it in a ziplock bag, then freeze it. Stays cold for the trip/hike, less weight, and not much trash to pack back out. Just cook it on the stove and it hits the spot after a long day of trails.
        the bike is definitely a concern of mine. the camp site i'll be able to park my bike pretty close but while hiking thats a different story. the only solutions i've come up with are chaing it to a tree and disc locks not sure if there is much more i can do.

any sugeestions for bike security would be appreciated as well if you guys can think of anything else i should do to keep my bike safe
        Last edited by gumby1220; 08-24-2009, 02:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well, one thing I was just thinking about is in the city people go prowling about looking for bikes/cars to steal, and have the tools to do it. Or, they have been watching something that they want for some time to learn the patterns (i.e. you always park your bike on the same street M-F during the hours of 8-5). As far as you being at a campsite, no real car/bike jacker is going to be out there anyway, so if anyone was to take it most likely it would be a crime of opportunity. Using disc locks and maybe securing it to a tree or post will most likely keep it safe. Not too many people I know go to a campground with a drill or bolt cutters. You should be OK. Leave the keys in it or leave it unsecured and some hillbilly might just hollar at Bubba to help him load it up in the back of the truck to take home to Mama! "That bike shor duz hav a purdy tank! I'll bet it squeels like a pig when you ride it!"
          "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shipster View Post
            Well, one thing I was just thinking about is in the city people go prowling about looking for bikes/cars to steal, and have the tools to do it. Or, they have been watching something that they want for some time to learn the patterns (i.e. you always park your bike on the same street M-F during the hours of 8-5). As far as you being at a campsite, no real car/bike jacker is going to be out there anyway, so if anyone was to take it most likely it would be a crime of opportunity. Using disc locks and maybe securing it to a tree or post will most likely keep it safe. Not too many people I know go to a campground with a drill or bolt cutters. You should be OK. Leave the keys in it or leave it unsecured and some hillbilly might just hollar at Bubba to help him load it up in the back of the truck to take home to Mama! "That bike shor duz hav a purdy tank! I'll bet it squeels like a pig when you ride it!"
            lol good points and i like the red neck quote

Comment

As stated stews work well as do cans of Chili and soups. Always like to bring along a couple a bags of peanuts and a couple packs of beef jerky as these are light weight and make a decent snack on road and take up almost no room. Just a couple more thoughts for you.
              If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

If you decide to bring those dehydrated camping foods in bags like "Mountain House" don't bother to bring toilet paper....... you won't need it lol
                Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Originally posted by cybrnathan View Post
                  If you decide to bring those dehydrated camping foods in bags like "Mountain House" don't bother to bring toilet paper....... you won't need it lol
                  lol thanks for the warning

Comment

Stuff to grill, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                      Here's a nice website regarding camping on a motorcycle.

http://wetleather.com/reference/camping.html
                      thanks for the link. good read.

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                      i thought about this just not sure if the camp grounds have grills. if i find out they do i'll definitely have to pack a cooler with some stuff.
                      Last edited by gumby1220; 08-29-2009, 12:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post

Naaaa.. can pick that stuff up on the road... waste of packing space otherwise. IMHO
                        sigpic

'95 Kat 600 (Sold)
                        '10 BMW S1000RR (aka Black Betty)(Totaled)
                        '11 BMW S1000RR (aka Bumblebee) Shine Yellow

In ur thinky box, steeelin ur dumz

If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, you probably high sided.

Comment

Working...
                        X