X

Throttle loss

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle loss

I had planned on getting my tires changed today (2006 Katana 600), and on the way I suddenly had no power, the throttle cable got loose, no tension. Had pulled over killed the engine, after a few moments I started it up again and the cable was tight. Went back enroute then happened again. Came back home after that. This is the first time it has happened for me.

What could be the cause, a bad kickstand sensor?

That, loose clutch switch connection, or kickstand is loose and needs shimming
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Loose cable fixing itself? Fuel flow issue...
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Loose cable fixing itself? Fuel flow issue...
        Fuel flow.. The carburetors? I had just cleaned those, I don't want to clean them again

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          That, loose clutch switch connection, or kickstand is loose and needs shimming
          Could a vacuum leak do that?
          I noticed the drain tube on the airbox was partially open.

Comment

Originally posted by Foreverever View Post
            Fuel flow.. The carburetors? I had just cleaned those, I don't want to clean them again
            Could be the cap vent tube. Could be the petcock or vac line to it. ItÃÔ the restart after that points me to that.

Originally posted by Foreverever View Post
            Could a vacuum leak do that?
            I noticed the drain tube on the airbox was partially open.
            Clutch switch wouldnÃÕ cause that if you were already started. A side stand would cut the engine off or be intermittent cut off, like when you hit a bump. That said is it bogging or shutting off?
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-20-2017, 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
              Could be the cap vent tube. Could be the petcock or vac line to it. ItÃÔ the restart after that points me to that.

Clutch switch wouldnÃÕ cause that if you were already started. A side stand would cut the engine off or be intermittent cut off, like when you hit a bump. That said is it bogging or shutting off?
              It didn't bog down or shut off. The throttle just became loose. I road it around just a moment ago after plugging the drain tube. I couldn't get it to do it again.

Comment

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

Loose throttle = cable is disconnected from carburetors

I think you are trying to say "lose throttle" as in it doesn't accelerate when throttle opened.
                Sounds like low fuel flow, pull fuel line and pull vacuum on hose coming from tank, make sure fuel is flowing for starters.
                "There's a green blur and a Gray blur. I try to stay on the gray one" Joey Dunlop RIP

Comment

Originally posted by SilverKat1000 View Post
                  I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

Loose throttle = cable is disconnected from carburetors

I think you are trying to say "lose throttle" as in it doesn't accelerate when throttle opened.
                  Sounds like low fuel flow, pull fuel line and pull vacuum on hose coming from tank, make sure fuel is flowing for starters.
                  Loose.. lose..
                  Okay, lose throttle. So having a low fuel flow would cause the throttle/grip to stay "open", but no power?
                  Whatever position I rotated the grip, at the time, it stayed in that position. It fixed itself after I had pulled over, parked it and restarted.

I'll check the lines, and hoses

This is my first bike. Had just bought it mid August. Cleaned the fuel tank of rust, cleaned out the carburetors, changed the fuel filter, replaced the petcock, put in new spark plugs, plugged the air box drain tube (waiting for OEM replacement for the plug), and started riding it around last week.

Comment

Oh, sticking throttle. Like the grip stays where ever you put it....lube your cable, its part of the maintenance procedure in the manual. Which is in mechanic 101.
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                    X