X

1500 Mile trip- Gear and recap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1500 Mile trip- Gear and recap

I just got back from a 1500 mile trip through the coast and around northernish-California. This was my gear:

Nelson Rig seat bag (bought on close out)
    Teknic tank bag (donated by a friend)
    A-Stars Alpha touring boots (waterproof)
    First Gear overpants
    Scorpion leather jacket
    Scorpion EXO 700 helmet
    Cortech Latigo and Scarab gloves
    Camelback H.A.W.G
    JVC "marshmallow" foam earphones
    Generic waterproof oversuit

We broke the trip into 5 days. On day one, we did about 150 miles of highway, and the rest on twisty roads. The highlight was highway 1 between Cambria and Carmel. I felt pretty beat by the end, the crosswinds, minimal wind protection and bumpy freeways not helping.

Day 2 took us through San Francisco, the Golden Gate and more of the 1. Around the town of Tamalpais the tarmac was perfect, and so was the layout of the road. At some point my exuberance almost got the best of me: on a super long, 270 degree sweeper, I dove in so hard until my front tire lost grip. I stood it up, and decided that there was no need to be a hero. We cut across inland and rode around Lake Barryesa. The roads in and out to the lake were awesome. The area around the lake was a beat up single lane. After the lake, we took 22 to the 5, and got to Chico in sweltering heat. We cooled down at the Sierra Nevada Brewery.

Day 3 started with some drama. My bike wouldn't start, the battery was almost dry! After some water fed in with a red party cup, we swapped the trickle charge terminals and jump started it from another bike. We took some roads and finally made it to our destination: Hwy 36. You know that you're in for a treat when the sign says "Curves ahead 140 miles"

We were in for a special treat, the 36 has pretty much everything. Rollercoaster sections with crests in between curves that encourage massive wheelies, long sweepers that can be taken flat out, tighter turns at the end of long straights that have you banging down 3 and 4 gears, incredible views, wood sections that make you feel like a Jedi riding through Endor on a speeder, tight technical 1st gear turns. The road has something for everyone. After the 36 we rode through the Avenue of the Giants, next to the massive redwood trees. Talk about feeling insignificant. We ended up riding the 1 to the coast, through a heavily wooded area, and then next to the beach to Fort Bragg. We celebrated with some pizza and beer.

Day 4 was supposed to be easy. We left Ft. Bragg, and down the coast on the 1. About an hour in, it started raining hard. Now, I have no doubts about my abilities or the capability of Pilot Road tires, but it was hard work. On the tighter sections I found myself wishing for either more torque or more steering lock. The guys on V-stroms (and the Harley FXR) had an easier time. Eventually it cleared up, and we decided to head to the Point Reyes lighthouse. We rode almost all the way only to find out the last mile of the road was closed. On the way back, my bike started to cut out on some corners: eventually i was able to determine some sort of glitch happens at 6600rpm. I rode around the problem either in higher or lower gears, with my hand on the clutch ready to react. We rode through SF again, on to Alice's on Skyline Blvd. After some late lunch, we rode down the coast to Santa Cruz, where we got pummeled by incredibly nasty crosswinds. I spent about 30 miles in full tuck bracing myself against the tank.

On day 5 we decided to not go down the coast. The winds were too strong, and that section is usually closed during strong rains. So we chased the storm south on the 101 and managed to stay dry. Easiest 200 miles I've ever rode.

So that was my trip. Most of today was spent diagnosing my electrical issues (turned out to be overcharging, due to poor connections.) If I were to do it again, I'd soften up the bike a little, Re-foam the seat, and get a bigger windscreen. Or maybe I'd get a V-strom! I gotta say, when the riding got sporty, the Kat had more in her while the other guys were tying themselves into knots trying to get their bikes turned/stopped.

Behold the humble rig
    Last edited by curseboy; 05-07-2013, 10:42 PM. Reason: Resize picture

Thanks for the ride along

I was born in the Bay Area (Vallejo) and have lived in Napa a few times. I have never road a bike to Berryessa (almost drowned there once) but have taken a Porsche 930 Turbo on those roads.

Sounds like a good time even in some tough winds and rain. I love the Boardwalk at Santa Cruz. I now Live 700 miles from Napa but I may just take my bike down this year and hit many of the same spots.

Mike.
    2002 GSX 600F

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
      ...We left Ft. Bragg, and down the coast on the 1...
      I'm confused. Last time I checked Ft. Bragg was just outside Fayettville, NC, a really long way away from you. ????
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I did a similar trip almost exactly a year ago, only starting and ending in San Jose - I'm sure shaving off those couple hundred miles made it much easier. Nice wrote up! Sounds like you had a blast!
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          I'm confused. Last time I checked Ft. Bragg was just outside Fayettville, NC, a really long way away from you. ????
          and there is only one Springfield, too?

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
            and there is only one Springfield, too?
            yes, where the Simpsons live.

No, seriously I only know of the Army Post Bragg in NC maybe this is not a military post in that nature but a reserve or something along the line of a NPS site.

Either way sounds like a good trip. I did two tours and never did a write up...I think it's time to put one together.

Ok, Fort Bragg is a city in Cali...learn something new every day.
            -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
            sigpic

Comment

The playlist for the Hwy 36 videos is here:

Here's my playlist of the footage from our trip across highway 36.

It's such a long road that Greg sped up the video. It does give you an idea of how awesome the road is. Unfortunately there was too much clicking from vibration on the audio, so he had to put music. I think listening with the audio off conveys enough information.

Comment

My husband and I are planning a 2100 mile trip. Me on the Kat, of course, and him on his new V-strom. He's been harping on me to trade in the Kat for a strom. I was going to send him your write up until I read that last paragraph. But seriously, Katana or V-strom? And what was your highest mileage day, or the most hours of saddle time in a day? And how much space did you have available with your bags?

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                  My husband and I are planning a 2100 mile trip. Me on the Kat, of course, and him on his new V-strom. He's been harping on me to trade in the Kat for a strom. I was going to send him your write up until I read that last paragraph. But seriously, Katana or V-strom? And what was your highest mileage day, or the most hours of saddle time in a day? And how much space did you have available with your bags?
                  Average was 300 miles a day or less. On twisty roads the comfort on the Kat is fine. The 2nd day had a long stretch of freeway, that's when the Kat wasn't as comfortable to me. About every 150 miles or so I would need a short break (and refuelling.)

I suppose it comes down to what type of touring you want to do. Serious daily miles? Mostly on freeways? I'd say either strom would be a better choice IMO. On twisties, I know for sure out of the corners the Strom riders had to do a little less work since it has a torquier engine, but in other aspects I feel my bike was a teeny bit better.

The Vstrom does have more comfort, more wind protection, and (the 1000) more power. You have to take into account that it is a higher seat, not exactly a light bike (at least the 1000, as far as I know.) At speed the Vstrom does feel lighter than it is. One advantage if you take bumpy back roads/1 lane roads, on the Vstrom it is easier to stand up on the pegs and take a little break.

Most hours on the seat were maybe 3 or 4 continuously. About that point the butt burn was felt. We made it a point to plan a decent stop for food and break. The focus of our trip was the "sport" portion of sport touring. Moving around the bike definitely keeps you from going numb.
                  I packed very light on that tail bag and tank bag. I think luggage options are more diverse on the Strom.

I am not particularly saying the Kat comes up short for touring, only that for longer trips the Strom might be a better tool.
                  Last edited by curseboy; 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM. Reason: answer question re: time on saddle.

Comment

Thanks for the fast response! After reading your response it occurs to me that our trip may be too ambitious. Currently we've got 2100 miles planned over 9 days. The first and last two days would be primarily highway, with a goal of about 400 miles a day (on the longest two days). All the days in the middle of the trip are planned around mountainous twisties. I knew the Strom would win on the comfort front on the long days, but since its a DL-650 Adventure, I assumed the Kat would outshine in the fun part of the trip. I think I'll stick with the Kat and just plan on sucking it up through the highway portions. I will say that the hard tanks on the Strom are pretty spacious, so space isn't at a premium. But I assume you would recommend those tank and tail bags?

Comment

Thanks for the fast response! After reading your response it occurs to me that our trip may be too ambitious. Currently we've got 2100 miles planned over 9 days. The first and last two days would be primarily highway, with a goal of about 400 miles a day (on the longest two days). All the days in the middle of the trip are planned around mountainous twisties. I knew the Strom would win on the comfort front on the long days, but since its a DL-650 Adventure, I assumed the Kat would outshine in the fun part of the trip. I think I'll stick with the Kat and just plan on sucking it up through the highway portions. I will say that the hard tanks on the Strom are pretty spacious, so space isn't at a premium. But I assume you would recommend those tank and tail bags?
                      If you need carrying space on your Kat, yes, these particular models of bags do well and are reasonably priced. The seat bag was a little tricky to get strapped tight, but I only had to deal with it in the morning. I was usually the first one who was all packed up and ready to go in the AMs.

I am not a big fan of this website, but they do have this cool guide. http://rideapart.com/2013/05/how-to-...torcycle-trip/

Very similar to how my friend planned our trip.

Comment

Nice trip!!! I am jealous. Northern California is on my bucket list. The 750 Katana is a great compromise. Good handling, good comfort and utility. I ride on trips with buddies on different style bikes. Ducati Diavel, Honda 599, KTM Super Duke, Harley Sportster ,Kawasaki Ninja 500. I can go as fast as them on real roads but i'm the most comfortale .

Comment

Thanks, CB. I dug reading it. The Carmel/Cambria area blows my mind. I guess you know about Morro Bay and the Hearst Castle too. That part of the world is pure magic. You took me out there again. So thanks again. Nice bike by the way.

I wouldn't call it too ambitious, Vera. Riding riding 800 miles per day for two days straight to get to the Dragon from West Texas wasn't too bad, but I think it bordered on being a little crazy.
                          Last edited by zuma; 06-26-2013, 08:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                          X