X

1989 750 Kat for Touring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 750 Kat for Touring?

I'm thinking of purchasing a 1989 750 Katana w/ 15k miles. I'm wondering how this bike would be on long, two-up rides, and ALSO, if there is any luggage available for a bike this old that would work with a passenger?? Thanks a lot for your input guys.

This thread will answer your first question..... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...=south+america

As for luggage, i'm no expert on tht but there are some that will work for the kats, search around the site and maybe someone else can answer that for you.
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

My honest opinion :

these bikes are classified as a "sport touring" bike but come with little to no comfort of a actual touring bike.

Katana's should be called a de-tuned sport bike, cause they are essentially just a de-tuned GSX-R.

Only thing touring wise they have going for them are they have a fuel gauge which almost every sport bike does not. They aren't great for long rides and 2 up riding long distances would not be fun.

I have seen luggage on a Katana but not with a passenger and luggage together. The exhaust and foot pegs for the passenger limit the space for luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
        My honest opinion :

these bikes are classified as a "sport touring" bike but come with little to no comfort of a actual touring bike.

Katana's should be called a de-tuned sport bike, cause they are essentially just a de-tuned GSX-R.

Only thing touring wise they have going for them are they have a fuel gauge which almost every sport bike does not. They aren't great for long rides and 2 up riding long distances would not be fun.

I have seen luggage on a Katana but not with a passenger and luggage together. The exhaust and foot pegs for the passenger limit the space for luggage.
        I'd like to offer an alternate opinion:

If I were going to tour the entire continent, a Katana 750 would be exactly the bike I would take.

What makes a good tourer? Weight capacity (got it), enough electrical juice to run accessories (got it), good wind protection (got it), stability (got it).... what more do you need? I'm comfortable enough in the saddle on a Katana 750 that I would wear out mentally before physically.

Luggage space is a little short, as was mentioned, due to the passenger pegs and exhaust location. Let me remind you here that this is a "sport touring" bike, not a "tourer that isn't a complete pig" bike. A low exhaust would cost a lot of cornering clearance, taking a good several points away from the "sport" side.

As a little added bonus to touring on a Katana, parts are everywhere, and they're cheap. If something went boom pretty much anywhere in the country, the closest bike salvage yard would be likely to have whatever you need.

By the way, the Katana is far from a detuned GSXR. They share effectively nothing outside of the engine. Frame geometry, ergonomics...... drastically different design intentions.

My advice might not be that sound, though, since I seem to believe that my ancient GSXR1100 is the perfect commuter bike for my 150 mile round trip to school and back (~ an hour and a half each way).
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Just my $0.02 - but gotta agree with LnL - My 06 Kat 750 will cruise all day at 75+ mph while getting 45-48mpg comfortably. She'll go at least 150 miles before I'm in the hunt for fuel, and is more than adequate for sustained long distance rides. There are everal things you can do to make her even more comfortable - a corbin saddle, and givi sideand top box set-up will carry more than enough gear for a long foray. Kats are oft maligned, but more than competent and capable as any other bike when properly set up for your style of riding.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Personally, I've gone hundreds of miles on my Kat w no probs. Luggage being the only issue especially w 2 up. If you cam get creative it's a fine bike for the job. Something like a busa might have more room for luggage options but if your on a tight budget and don't mind getting creative I'd say go for it.

Comment

the 2 UP part.....

alone, sure i could ride all day too, but not on a 89 750 kat with a passenger unless it was some tiny little thing, and its not an 06! and with a passenger it would suck no one can argue that.

don't get me wrong these are sweet bikes but not for long distance 2up riding plain and simple.

Comment

the 2 UP part.....

alone, sure i could ride all day too, but not on a 89 750 kat with a passenger unless it was some tiny little thing, and its not an 06! and with a passenger it would suck no one can argue that.

don't get me wrong these are sweet bikes but not for long distance 2up riding plain and simple.
                Fix your suspension and you would have a better oppinion of that...

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

the 2 UP part.....

I really can't comment. I only ever rode my Katana's with my ex for any kind of distance, and she was 95-100lbs tops. I've never really been into big women. I don't even really know if it was comfortable for her back there, I only know that she didn't complain about it.

There is no denying that the suspension is weak, though. Even for a single rider it's pretty weak. If you're going to do a lot of touring or a lot of sport riding, the suspension is going to need work anyway.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    Fix your suspension and you would have a better oppinion of that...

Krey
                    Did--->08+ R6 shock.

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                    I really can't comment. I only ever rode my Katana's with my ex for any kind of distance, and she was 95-100lbs tops. I've never really been into big women.
                    was your ex a 13 year old ?lol

under 100lbs for an adult is kinda gross unless your into feeling every bump in the track when riding er...even worse when you can see spine coming through the skin...geesh!
                    Last edited by 88kat-rider; 11-16-2011, 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Never really cared for riding 2-up unless it was a liesurely ride with my kids. The Kat makes a fine "all-day" cruiser even 2-up with an adult. I had/have soft bags that suited my purpose, but I never had a passenger with me when I used them.

under 100lbs for an adult is kinda gross unless your into feeling every bump in the track when riding er...even worse when you can see spine coming through the skin...geesh!
                      Knowing Rick.... each boob weighed at least a few pounds.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                        Never really cared for riding 2-up unless it was a liesurely ride with my kids. The Kat makes a fine "all-day" cruiser even 2-up with an adult. I had/have soft bags that suited my purpose, but I never had a passenger with me when I used them.

Knowing Rick.... each boob weighed at least a few pounds.
                        lol...i think i got a picture
                        Attached Files

Comment

She was 5' even, and she wasn't thin in an unhealthy way by far.

My wife might be 115lbs, and she's a solid 5" taller than the ex. (and she has more prominent... eh... "features")

Like I said, just not up on big women (though I have run through some fatties in my time).
                          Last edited by loudnlow7484; 11-25-2011, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I love my Kat, and I love riding it...but on a long haul....I'd go but I would not be comfortable. I can tell you from my experience on my bike that my neck hurts, my hands are numb, and my toes go tingly sometimes after about 150 miles. I've been told that new grips may dampen the vibration and help with the numbness in my hands-gonna try that over the winter. I am tall...5'10". Frequent (about every 75 miles or so) stops to stretch my legs definitely help tho. I ride on pretty long hauls anyway because I love to ride, and I love my Kat so I won't get another bike for comfort sake....but IMHO if you don't already have a bike and you are looking for a comfy long distance ride, a 750 GSXF isn't it. again, just MO.
                            Still riding on back sissy girl???

Comment

I've done a few 500+ mile days on my 2006 600 and thought it was pretty comfortable for what it is. It’s not going to feel like a Gold wing but it will get the job done in my opinion. I’m also pretty tall, 6’03” so some leg stretching breaks help. I have not really ever rode 2 up for any real distance though.

Comment

Working...
                              X