X

400 miles from Central NJ to Carlisle PA and back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 miles from Central NJ to Carlisle PA and back

I decided to take a trip out to Carlisle, PA Saturday for their summer bike fest to check out some gear (good enough excuse as any for a nice ride). It was about 400 miles round trip. Couldn't ask for any better weather. Left at 6:00 am in about 60° overcast skies and arrived at about 9:00 am in 70° sunshine. There was a nice breeze all day so it never got too hot in the leathers. One problem I experienced is that the throttle-side grip had a little too much buzz which would numb my hand after a while (actually my ring and pinkie fingers to be exact). I had wrapped the grips with some open-cell foam tape but it didn't really help any (no, the bars aren't filled yet either). I did pick up a set of Olympia gel gloves at the show but the gel doesn't extend to the fingers so it looks like a pair of gel grips are next on the agenda. I wound up getting a mesh jacket with armor as well as a new leather jacket also with armor. After meandering around the show for a while I strapped everything on the back of the bike and made the journey back home. No issues with the ride, no cramping, was able to walk fine afterwards, the numb hand was the only downside. Figuring out the mileage when I got back home, I found that it was 46 mpg. Normally during the work week commute I get around 49-51 mpg. I guess the 6000 rpm pace had a little to do with the mileage drop. Overall I had a great ride, the wife was happy because I got some new gear (her peace of mind), and the weather couldn't have been better.

Sounds like you had a great day!! I have been using Pro-Gip Gel Grips and they seem to help. Good Luck.

Comment

Pics of the event?
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

Re: 400 miles from Central NJ to Carlisle PA and back

Originally posted by koncsolt
        IOne problem I experienced is that the throttle-side grip had a little too much buzz which would numb my hand after a while (actually my ring and pinkie fingers to be exact).
        Sounds like the ulnar nerve is getting pinched or cubital tunnel syndrome. Very similar to carpal tunnel only the other side of the hand goes numb. If I spend too much time at a keyboard, I end up with the same problem. I can usually avoid it on the bike by changing hand positions and make sure to stretch my finger out every few miles. Good times with the ride though.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

No camera, besides it was very Harley heavy since they make them in PA. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by koncsolt
            No camera, besides it was very Harley heavy since they make them in PA. Sorry.
            It's all good. I think I am going to just start keeping my old digital camera under the seat because I have missed some opportunities by not bringing it.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

Working...
            X