X

GREAT Article on plastic welding and making missing tabs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GREAT Article on plastic welding and making missing tabs

So...I've decided to redo the paint on my Kat myself. I've acquired a HVLP gun, and will be doing BC/CC. Anyway, since I didn't want to have to stop riding the Kat to do the bodywork / paint in my spare time, I hunted around and scored some fairings and tanks.

That way I'll work on each of these pieces, prepping it for paint, then painting them, and then can just install them on my Kat without alot of downtime.

My inventory so far (not including what is currently installed on my Kat)...

2 LH fairings - 1 in VGC with two small cracks. 1 in GC with two tabs missing.

1 RH in PERFECT shape (factory black paint / stickers look MINT!!)
    1 RH (original fairing from my Kat that took a spill on the trailer) that has a small piece (Where the windscreen bolts on) broken CLEAN off. I have the piece, and I think with some plastic welding and some time it'll be fine.
    1 RH in decent to good shape
    1 RH that's just scrap and spare piece for other fairings.

Scored two tanks. One is in EXCELLENT shape outside (other than poor taste in paint schemes) looks to be in nice shape inside. The other looks HORRIBLE On the outside...no real dings or dents, just about 30 layers of paint.....inside is mint.

Scored an extra complete belly fairing set with one small crack (Again...UGLY paint)..

Scored two tails in GREAT shape...only thing I'll have to fill the screw holes from the flushmounts someone added.

I currently have one spare fender.

I AM LOOKING For a spare front trim piece that goes under the headlight...

So my evenings and weekend mornings, will be consumed with bodywork.

Anyway...lots of great threads here on plastic / ABS repair..ran across this one, and I think it's GREAT.

ABS Cement and clay..

Too many words after too much rum . I'll have to come back later .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post

VERY cool.
      This year, it would be nice to have an upper fairing with enough mounting tabs to actually hold onto the lowers!
      93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Good writeup with some interesting tips and info. Good find!
        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Working...
        X