Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BarMatt80
    Originally posted by Sin
    Originally posted by tzortn
    Is using PVC a good idea? Why not a piece of pipe? I seem to remember someone saying that they used a nut.

yes pvc is fine in fact i think its racetech that uses it in there respring anf revalve kits as and preload spacer
    my racetech 0.9 kg/mm springs came with a seamless aluminum tube. i haven't cut it yet, thought i would try the stock spacers and it worked, have about 25-30 mm of preload. i HIGHLY recommended upgrade.
    ok then its progressive that has the pvc tube then i knew it was one or the other been a while since ive done forks on a kat

Comment

yeah i wish it was some time from doing forks on a kat. i have done it twice now since owning the bike for a year. but first time i put the dang things in upside down.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Rebuilding my forks right now (kinda) . On the advice of a very wise moto-mech (thanks again , Dave ) , I bought 2' of PVC to replace my spacers with , which would firm up the forks a bit . Cut 2 lengths about 8.5" each , which is JUST a bit longer than the stock spacers , which are a HAIR under 8" . I'm told that 9" would be the "fat-boy" setting , so .... It seems a little goes a long way here . It might be a few days before I get it all back together again and am able to test it out , but I figure with new oil and seals , and new spacer .... it'll be a SHAME my front tire is toast !
        Attached Files
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

After my LITTLE test run (like 5 miles) .....
          First thing I noticed , there is NO brake-dive . NONE . Kinda cool . Second , the front end feels REALLY tight . Like any little movement is transmitted to the ground . Not quite sure what to think of that yet , since I'm used to the sloppy front end . Gonna take some getting used to , for sure . And rolling the throttle out of turns REALLY makes the bike stand back up again . Before , it would take quite a bit of throttle to get tha effect . But this is all I've managed to learn after a short test ride . We'll see how it goes on a longer one soon ....

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
            Is using PVC a good idea? Why not a piece of pipe? I seem to remember someone saying that they used a nut.
            That was me.. I used a Pecan..
            Actually I used a stainless steel nut..
            I was leary of using plastic for a few reasons.
            1. The effect of the oil on the PVC
            2. Strength
            3. I was worried about chips, shavings etc.
            4. It was handy
            5. It is demensionally sound! That is
            it is square and even. Cutting PVC will mean making sure the
            ends are square and smooth. Cutting on a lathe would be best.

PVC is a generic term, what Progressive uses may be a plastic
            but not the same composition as Home Depot carries.
            I know people have used PVC. It's an old trick but given the
            choice I'll use metal..

Comment

I did the $1.00 mod today. Actually only cost me 60 cents. I cut two spacers from 1 1/4 in. outer diameter PVC. I cut mine 8 3/4 inches long. I went for a 10 mile ride. What a difference. The bike is much more stable in curves. Has a much better ride, no dive when braking or letting off the throttle. I couldn't believe the difference in the curves. I was faster and the bike was just so much more responsive. Definately worth the small cost and effort. I cut mine with my compound miter saw, so I know the ends are square. I then sanded them with emery cloth to make sure, and washed and dried them to make sure there were no PVC shavings.
              Smooth is Fast

Comment

what are the dimensions for the diameter and thickness of the pvc pipe?
                thanks

Comment

I went the other way and installed the Ohlins fork springs... Unlike you guys, I'm not giving up any spring-length distance for a hard landing if I should get unlucky, but the priviledge is costly by comparison

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                    I went the other way and installed the Ohlins fork springs... Unlike you guys, I'm not giving up any spring-length distance for a hard landing if I should get unlucky, but the priviledge is costly by comparison

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    True....I went with the racetech springs that match my weight. well actually they say i needed 0.98 and i went with 0.9....didn't want to stiff. I wonder what and how the difference between the ohlins and racetech compare...i think comparable in price.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by Cptn_Katana
                      thanks
                      Don't remember , but I just did mine a month or 2 ago . Might have posted the details . Of course , you can always pull one of the stock spacers and compare THAT with what's at the hardware store . Make sure the OD isn't any bigger than your stock spacer .

Comment

Originally posted by Cptn_Katana
                        thanks
                        If you read the post directly above yours, it states the OD of the pipe and the length that was used. One person has said 8.5 in and another used 8.75.
                        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                        -Terence

Comment

No ,the OD wasn't stated , just the length . But it was lie 1 1/4" or something . Best if you take a spacer with you to compare , really .

Comment

Originally posted by Kat600
                            I did the $1.00 mod today. Actually only cost me 60 cents. I cut two spacers from 1 1/4 in. outer diameter PVC. I cut mine 8 3/4 inches long. I went for a 10 mile ride. What a difference. The bike is much more stable in curves. Has a much better ride, no dive when braking or letting off the throttle. I couldn't believe the difference in the curves. I was faster and the bike was just so much more responsive. Definately worth the small cost and effort. I cut mine with my compound miter saw, so I know the ends are square. I then sanded them with emery cloth to make sure, and washed and dried them to make sure there were no PVC shavings.
                            Not bashing you, MD. Just pointing out that it was there.
                            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                            -Terence

Comment

However, your post is also confusing by stating LENGTHS of the spacer specificly, and not giving the diameter or pointing to it.

Originally posted by brooder
                              If you read the post directly above yours, it states the OD of the pipe and the length that was used. One person has said 8.5 in and another used 8.75.
                              And for those that don't know.. The difference in the lengths (8.5 vs 8.75) is to compensate for rider weight. If you are below 200 lbs, 8.5 should be good for you. If you are over 200, 8.75 should be better for you.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

sorry, i posted that while i was waiting for my bike to warm up before school. my bad. thanks for the information though.

Comment

Working...
                                X