No announcement yet.
X

front caliper upgrades ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're talking about the mount where the #13 bolt goes on the 1100 caliper? Yeah, you're definately right looks like. Now you used a pic off of a 6 piston caliper. Do you think it would work as well? The guy that did the mod used a 4 piston caliper off a '95 750. If the 6 piston one would work I'd be happier w/ that. I guess about the only way to figure it out is to get my hands on one and try it out. LOL. I wonder where I would be able to find out the exact dimensions of a 6 piston GSXR caliper?
    Life's tough.....even tougher when you're stupid.

Comment

I have a set of the six piston's. Also Kewebel has the bracket needed to do the mod. It really does make since to do this mod due to cost of the material for the one off bracket. I would reccomend going to the USD frontend. By the way I have a set of six piston's for sell or trade.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

MattO the caliper of a 95 GSXR 750
        is what is pictured above..

I don'tknow what that guy from the forum was talking about..

A 93 Gxsr 750 has 4 piston..

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
          I have a set of the six piston's. Also Kewebel has the bracket needed to do the mod. It really does make since to do this mod due to cost of the material for the one off bracket. I would reccomend going to the USD frontend. By the way I have a set of six piston's for sell or trade.
          Did you mean it doesn't make sense to do this mod because of the cost of the material, or does make sense? USD frontend???

Originally posted by Black_peter
          MattO the caliper of a 95 GSXR 750
          is what is pictured above..

I don'tknow what that guy from the forum was talking about..

A 93 Gxsr 750 has 4 piston...
          Ok, I guess he had his years mixed up. Thanks for all the info and help though.

Comment

Cost effectiveness would be toward a USD setup. The material and cutting the brackets would cost over $700. I have already check this out.
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

What is a USD setup?

Comment

Originally posted by MattO
                What is a USD setup?
                Up-Side-Down. Basically the forks are reversed, so the inner-fork tube connects at the bottom instead of at the top and the bigger portion (the receiver end) sits at the top instead of at the bottom.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cost effectiveness would be toward a USD setup. The material and cutting the brackets would cost over $700. I have already check this out.
                  Dude the guy who quoted that was on crack!!!

$700?!?!?!
                  CNC machined and polished out quanity 50 maybe.....
                  But 700 clams for two lousy brackets??

Made out of what? gold!?!

Sorry I was a machinest for 10 years
                  ( I still have all my tools)
                  I've been in the machine business for 20..
                  My company marks up any part 300% (no part less than $60)
                  and even they wouldn't sell it for $700...
                  I could make the brackets needed to adapt any caliper to
                  any fork in about 1 hour with $10 of aluminum...

You need to avoid Crackhead McCracky's machine shop and find another place....

Comment

Dude the guy who quoted that was on crack!!!

$700?!?!?!
                    CNC machined and polished out quanity 50 maybe.....
                    But 700 clams for two lousy brackets??

Made out of what? gold!?!

Sorry I was a machinest for 10 years
                    ( I still have all my tools)
                    I've been in the machine business for 20..
                    My company marks up any part 300% (no part less than $60)
                    and even they wouldn't sell it for $700...
                    I could make the brackets needed to adapt any caliper to
                    any fork in about 1 hour with $10 of aluminum...

You need to avoid Crackhead McCracky's machine shop and find another place....
                    Do you still have the machine to make these cuts. I have the plans. It is a alloy and I have the formula but you know as well as I do it has to handle high heat from the brake system. That is to fire up the machine, programing, setup and the cost of the material. If I don't do a run of 500 or more.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    Who knows what is next?

Comment

Hold on Thom...
                      First off no, I don't have a bridgeport..

Since I joined field service I have lost access to all that..
                      I hate it too cause it would make my real job easier not to mention the Katana jobs...

Second yes a shop will charge you $700 for a part like that.. Why?
                      1. he/ she has a $100,000+ milling machine to pay off.
                      2. he/she has a $25/hr employee to pay.
                      3. loss coverage, most shops charge double for the material (sometimes more) in case they make a mistake.
                      4. shops hate making 1 or 2 items.. they want gravy train custmers that hand them an order for 3000 widgets.. that way they dont have to worry about money for a while.

So you as Mr. man-off -the-street, got quoted the high end of everything..

So the shop owner either really hates one off jobs or he is a crack head and has a 100K tool to pay off..

Now about the material.. this is not going on the space shuttle.. this part can be made from CRS (cold rolled steel) and painted. Stainless or standard grade aluminum. All these will handle the heat and the stress.. I like stainless because while it is twice as heavy as aluminum per cubic inch it is three time as stiff. Plus once you polish it.. forget about it!!

I used to get anything I wanted made up on a CNC tool for a 6 pack per part.. So maybe ask your friends/ relatives if there is a "Model Shop" or in house machine shop where they work. Some one there might do a similar deal. I also think you need to look for a small shop to make this part..
                      Or "imply" you are from American chopper
                      (Free publicity!!!!)

Comment

I fully understand that they do charge the average Joe or Thom in this case. LMAO

Do you know the formula's of metal? If so I do have that formula. Aluminum is not able to with stand that kind of heat.
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        Who knows what is next?

Comment

Aluminum is not able to with stand that kind of heat.
                          Q: aren't the stock calipers and the OEM fork leg lowers both aluminum? Doesn't that mean the stock set-up can handle that kind of heat? I would think a bracket made of the same type of aluminum as the caliper would do just fine...

???

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

no the mounting brackets. they also have to have great strength
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

Meh..
                              all you need is maybe 1/2 inch brackets of Aluminum..
                              and 1/4 inch of good stainless steel...

That would be solid enough for daytona...

Comment

Meh..
                                all you need is maybe 1/2 inch brackets of Aluminum..
                                and 1/4 inch of good stainless steel...

That would be solid enough for daytona...
                                HMMMM, I really wanted to keep it real lite. maybe you can pm me more info.
                                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                                Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                                X