Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

(pic heavy)How to: Check/Change the Shift Forks and Drum Without Splitting Your Cases

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (pic heavy)How to: Check/Change the Shift Forks and Drum Without Splitting Your Cases

Background: I bought my 1996 GSX600F last fall as a non running project bike to work on while my '98 Yamaha is apart for painting. I got the bike to actually run with lots of help from this site (thanks guys) and I decided that I would contribute something. Upon actually riding the bike, I learned that it had a major issue which was preventing shifting up from second to third.

I did a bunch of searching around Katriders after finding that my bike had this problem. There are many posts about second gear failures, but only 1 or 2 that even mentioned anything resembling my problem. I decided from what I could figure out that I either had a bent shift fork or bad shift drum (it was a fork). What I did find encouraging was that despite the general consensus on this site that you must split the cases to get to these parts, that there are a couple of posts where members mention checking/changing these parts with a simple oil pan removal.

Well, here is my guide on how to do this - because it is possible, at least on my model. Your model may be slightly different - do plenty of searches and look at fiches to decide for yourself before removing any parts!

SAFETY: SECURE YOUR BIKE SO THAT IT CANNOT FALL. If you don't have it on any sort of lift, you will be laying underneath it for an extended period of time. Make sure it absolutely cannot fall on you. Please. I claim no responsibility for the use of this information or any consequences of its use.

First, I want you to review these parts fiches and imagine the parts as they are in the bike. This will help us as we really get in there and do some troubleshooting:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...ING/parts.html

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...ION/parts.html

Now, using your manual, remove your exhaust, oil pan, and clutch. You have your manual, don't you???

Also, you will need to remove your front sprocket cover and remove the snap ring which retains the "shaft, gear shifting" (see fiche).

So now you will be left with something like this:

Behind the clutch:

IMPORTANT: We will be removing the four screws in the bottom, left hand corner of the whole assembly. They hold plates which hold the shift cam and shift fork shaft from backing out. THESE SCREWS ARE VERY EASY TO STRIP OUT AND YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF FOR SEVERAL HOURS/DAYS IF YOU DO STRIP THEM. Ask me how I know (check the colors of all those screws lol).

Up into the engine from below:

Here we see the gear shift cam, the gear shift shaft, as well as the bases of the gear shift forks (see fiche). Also a few gears!

Remove the 4 screws from before and pull out the two plates:

The "guide, cam" plate (sorry no picture of the other):

What you should see after NOT stripping out the screws and then successfully removing the plates:

You can see here that I did not totally remove the "shaft, gear shifting". I found that just pulling it out a bit to clear the "gear shift cam, driven" (see fiche) and turning it out of the way worked just fine. (If you have big hands, I suppose it may get in your way in the following steps. Feel free to remove it then, but that may be more work in the end. See manual.) Note that I have already removed the shift fork shaft in this picture.

Now that the plates are out of the way, you can remove the "shaft, gear shifting fork":

As you do this, look up into the transmission and catch the forks as they are set free from the shaft. You may have to poke them a couple of times for them to fall.

Check the forks for abnormal wear or any obvious problems. The pins at the base of the forks need a good inspection, as well. Here is what my #3 fork (see fiche) looked like when I pulled it out vs a new-to-me ebay fork I ordered to replace:

"New" fork on the left, old on the right. I figure it bent just enough to rub against the gear on that side of the fork, and to cause the issue I was having.

If you don't see anything like this, at least check the fork wear against the specs in your manual. It's up to you to decide whether to replace these parts at this point. Maybe they're bent, maybe they're not. Look at your particular symptoms and decide.

Next, remove the gear shift cam. I don't have pics of this, but just follow the manual. Remove the neutral sensor switch and a snap ring, then carefully pull it free. Watch that the "gear shift cam, driven" and its springs/parts don't fly everywhere! Inspect the shift cam for damage to the groves. You should know this when you see it.

After removing all of these parts, you should have a spectacular view of the gears and shafts - depending on how good you are at laying on your back for an hour and spinning the rear wheel of a 500 pound motorcycle that could smash your head if it fell (SEE SAFETY, ABOVE). Hint: put a folded up towel under your head.

What I did was look up into the transmission and spin the rear wheel and watch the gears spin. You should be able to spot any missing teeth (hopefully you would have seen these in the oil pan). Now take a look at the sides of the gears for wear on the dogs and their corresponding slots. I found it helpful to scoot around to get different views, and I also used a screwdriver to gently push the sliding gears as necessary. Hint: if you are spinning the gears and everything locks up, you need to slide a gear until you figure out which one is causing this to happen.

When you are satisfied with your inspection, reverse these steps to reinstall replacement and/or original parts. You will need to install the shift cam, and then the forks. For the forks install one at a time starting with fork #1, and push their shaft through as you get them in place and lined up. You will need to be patient, but you can get them back in there! They engage the sliding gears, obviously.

Yes, I did all of this without splitting the cases. Saved me a lot of time and money. Now, if there was something wrong with any of my gears I may not have seen it - but I'm not having any symptoms to indicate bad dogs or teeth. But I would have dropped the engine to fix it, because that's just how I am.

Good new is, for me, replacing the bad shift fork fixed my shifting problem! Took a ride today in the 70 degree Ozarks weather and the bike worked flawlessly. Oh, I also installed a Factory Pro shift kit while I was in there. Comes with exhaust and oil pan gaskets, which was awesome.

Bonus picture of how my shift kit looked like after installation (without that damn snap ring in the grove on that pivot bolt - I did get this installed after much cursing):

this was an aweseome write up!

Im currently in the same position as you. Engine out, oil pan dropped, selector drum and forks out, ready for new.

QUESTION: Do the forks just slide in the drum one way? My fear is to put the drum back in, and kick it down into 1st and actually be in fourth. How do i ensure what gear im in to put the gear selector back?

Comment

Only one way

Originally posted by whitestang41791 View Post
      this was an aweseome write up!

Im currently in the same position as you. Engine out, oil pan dropped, selector drum and forks out, ready for new.

QUESTION: Do the forks just slide in the drum one way? My fear is to put the drum back in, and kick it down into 1st and actually be in fourth. How do i ensure what gear im in to put the gear selector back?
      They only go in one way, you should be able to tell by the orientation of the peg that sits in the grooves on the drum vs the body of the fork.

One side of each fork where it rides on the rod will be flat, the other will stick out some. The part that sticks out should point outward, away from the center of the bike. Check out the "Gear Shifting" parts fiche and this is shown clearly.

As long as you have the fork properly sitting in its gear, the peg in place on the drum, and each riding on the rod like in the fiche, you should be able to do some test shifts and see that the forks are moving the gears as they should.

Comment

appreciate the fast response. Im comfortable putting the forks back in, i just want to make sure that when the gear selector goes back, that im actually in the correct gear. i guess i can dry shift it while the engine is out and make sure im ok.

Comment

appreciate the fast response. Im comfortable putting the forks back in, i just want to make sure that when the gear selector goes back, that im actually in the correct gear. i guess i can dry shift it while the engine is out and make sure im ok.
          So the forks decide where the gears go while you shift and the selector slides them in the right place, right?

There is a part on the gear selector which is called the "plate, stopper" which is part of how the transmission is held in gear once you shift. It sits on the end with the neutral sensor. There is a little arm with a spring and a wheel on the end which engages this part. It only goes in one way.

If you look at it, you will notice that it has several pointy projections on it. These are what you have to jump when you push the shifter up or down. At some point, it has sort of a little cup between two of these projections. This is actually where neutral is found - first is on one side and all other gears are on the other.

So since this part fits only one way on the gear selector, there is no way to assemble and not know what gear it's in. When you shift to where the little arm is sitting in the little cup, you are in neutral.

Comment

yup, that all makes sense.
            How do i know what "notch" to put the gear selector on the drum?

On your "behind the clutch" picture, you have the gear selector notches meshed with the notches on the gear selector drum. How do i know which notch to put it on?

Comment

Holy crap goes I miss this write up? Nice job man!
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

yup, that all makes sense.
                How do i know what "notch" to put the gear selector on the drum?

On your "behind the clutch" picture, you have the gear selector notches meshed with the notches on the gear selector drum. How do i know which notch to put it on?
                That part on the drum is spring loaded to return to center after a shifting action. You just want to center both sets of notches so that they are evenly engaged when you push the gear shift all the way up or all the way down .

If it isn't centered you will know because it will push too far up going direction and get stuck before it reaches the end of the shifting action going the other way.

Hope that helps lol. Just use common sense and you will get it. If you don't have it right you won't be able to shift up or down, but will be able to shift the opposite direction.

Comment

once again,THANKS! fork comes tomorrow. hopefully riding soon!

Comment

Seca-Seca!, HELP !

put the forks back in, gear drum back in. When the drum is not connected to the gear shift shaft, i can run through all 6 gears and neutral with me manually spinning the drum... that eliminates me putting the forks in wrong.

When i attached the notches on the gear shift shaft to the notches on the drum, i cannot.. leads me to believe it has to do with the placement of the notches.

Does the drum have to be in a certain gear when assembling the gear shift shaft to it?

Ive centered the notches, but it seems like im running out of notches before i run through all the gears.

What am i doing wrong?

Comment

Seca-Seca!, HELP !

put the forks back in, gear drum back in. When the drum is not connected to the gear shift shaft, i can run through all 6 gears and neutral with me manually spinning the drum... that eliminates me putting the forks in wrong.

When i attached the notches on the gear shift shaft to the notches on the drum, i cannot.. leads me to believe it has to do with the placement of the notches.

Does the drum have to be in a certain gear when assembling the gear shift shaft to it?

Ive centered the notches, but it seems like im running out of notches before i run through all the gears.

What am i doing wrong?
                      When I was doing this work, I had the engine in the bike still and the rear wheel was still connected to the drive shaft with the chain. This allowed me to spin the rear wheel while I shifted. The motorcycle transmission will require some motion to be able to shift through all gears smoothly.

Not sure if having the gear shift shaft connected to the drum would affect this. It's been a few months.

Here's a pic from the manual of how it should be:

Comment

Working...
                      X