Higher Bars = easier miles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Higher Bars = easier miles

Hi everyone,
    I know you can find this all over but I would like to share this. I saw some of these mods done and I assumed what I started could be done without screwing things up. Drilling out the only threaded place to mount your stock clip-ons on a post Kat '98 did not sit well so I purchased a used upper triple from a local salvage for $35. If you decide to do this you do not need to buy a second upper triple, this works and I doubt you will want to go back to the original clip-ons.
    Shopping list
    1 Bikemaster Daytona Bend bars. $25.00
    2 7/8" handlebar clamps that bolt through the upper with enough length on the bolt to raise the clamp. I raised mine about 1 1/8" using stainless steel washers. I took the clamps off an old Honda at the salvage yard. $10.
    3 Longer brake lines. I switched to a two line steel braided setup. I had the lines made at 38" and they are a bit on the long side. 36" would have been better. I took in the old line to Pirtek to match up the angles of the fittings. $69.
    4 Box of stainless steel washers to shim with. $18.
    So for around $120 and some time. you can be riding in comfort.

Things to think about.
    Lots of shavings so remove your triple clamp to work on it.
    As long as your 7/8" clamps do not cover any of the hole that your fork comes up through your good.
    If you are going to remove the ignition switch to work on the triple clamp you will need a Torx 40 security bit to remove it.
    While your triple is off, re route your cables to the outside of the forks.
    The electrical wiring is ziptied to the bar for the faring ahead of the headset, remove this ziptie to allow full lock left and right without pulling on the wiring.
    You will need to drill the locating holes for your switches into your new bars so get your measurements from your old clip-ons.
    You can still use your old grips if they are in good shape. Use a thin long screwdriver with soap on it to work off the left grip and for reinstallation you can use fast drying hairspray. I have used hairspray for grips my whole life and have never had a grip come off unless I wanted it to. Your wife may look at you funny as you are walking off with her hair spray but wont be near as mad as when you took her Tupperware to the garage.
    Attached Files

good job.
    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Here is an update on bar risers.

Since raising the bars I put Corbin seat on the bike. I just finished a 1700 mile trip and found that the Corbin seat puts you further back than the stock seat and I did have some issues. I had to reach forward enough that it put weight back onto my hands and my thumb, index, and middle finger on the throttle hand was going completely numb within 30-40 miles of riding. I was trying to take breaks about every 60 miles.

I needed the bars to be closer to me. I ended up purchasing some Rox Pivoting Bar Risers this past Friday and installed them. Glad to say they worked great! The bars are a little lower than they were but I can sit completely back in the Corbin seat and do not have to put any weight on my hands. I went on a ride that was about 235 miles yesterday and did not have any problems. If I find that I want the bars higher than they are I can still shim the main bar clamps up but I will ride it like this as long as they are feeling good.

So going back to my original post, I would recommend adding some pivoting risers to the shopping list. They cost about $100. Not counting the longer brake lines and clutch cable (clutch cable was probably not needed but mine was old and everything was apart) the cost is just under $200. That is still $200 cheaper than the bar risers that mount to your fork tubes. You do have more adjustability with the more expensive setup but so far I still do not think it is worth the extra money.
      Using the pivoting riser also ended up giving me more room for the key. The bar section between the clamps was real close to the key and made it hard to use, especially with the phone holder and 12v accessory plug. Now there is a lot more room.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by rschlegel; 06-29-2014, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I mounted up a 750 triple to my post 600 to get the 3/4" rise provided - way ore comfortable. I also have a Corbin saddle, and have been wanting the bars to be moved in towards me a teeny bit. I'm in the middle of trying to find a place/ move so it'll be a bit before I'm set up and have a workspace again, but I think this might be exactly what I need.
        Kat bars are 7/8" right? If so, what you used should be absolutely perfect for me. I might have to ditch the 750 triple so as to keep the new cables I just installed but the Rox pivoting risers should actually give me a higher rise. Thanks dude, I didn't know these existed!
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          I mounted up a 750 triple to my post 600 to get the 3/4" rise provided - way ore comfortable. I also have a Corbin saddle, and have been wanting the bars to be moved in towards me a teeny bit. I'm in the middle of trying to find a place/ move so it'll be a bit before I'm set up and have a workspace again, but I think this might be exactly what I need.
          Kat bars are 7/8" right? If so, what you used should be absolutely perfect for me. I might have to ditch the 750 triple so as to keep the new cables I just installed but the Rox pivoting risers should actually give me a higher rise. Thanks dude, I didn't know these existed!
          Thanks,
          I think I finally have this figured out. In the original pics there were stainless washers to shim in the height. The mounting bolts for the bar clamps are only threaded part way so now you can see that the washers are now under the triple. I guess the nice thing is that if I still want to raise the bars some I can move washers from underneath the triple to above them.

Comment

I am interested in doing this to my bike. I am wondering about how well you can see out your mirrors with the wide bars.
            1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
            V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
            Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Originally posted by ZookRick View Post
              I am interested in doing this to my bike. I am wondering about how well you can see out your mirrors with the wide bars.
              I am going to get some mirror extensions. You look at your arms. You have to bend your elbow in to see. But its worth it for the comfort. You can see the lanes next to you ok but almost nothing directly behind you without moving your elbow. Low speed handling is much better also with the leverage and upright position.
              Last edited by rschlegel; 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM.

Comment

rschlegel,

It looks like you have gone through some the same r&d I did when I made my risers.

Once you have the right setup you'll be a happy camper.

+1 on the Bikemaster Daytona bars. I tried several bars from mx bars, Suzuki SV1000 bars (same as bandit 1200 bars) and the Daytona rise/pullback were perfect.

I got my mirror extenders years ago and they do improve rear visibility. Ebay is your friend.

I sold my Corbin set as I found the same as you that it moves the seating position too far back.

My July trip should be 5000kms and all the mods make the Kat a grand touring bike.
                2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Have fun on your trip. Make sure to post some pics when you get back.

Comment

This is the seventh annual trip down to the US. As a group we take a lot of pictures... Although not as many pictures as years ago.

I'll be sure to post a few.
                    Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
                    Have fun on your trip. Make sure to post some pics when you get back.
                    1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I bought a pair of those Rox speed pivoting risers that I am going to try with my stock bars, had to order a longer brake line. If it doesnt work well enough I might go with standard type bars, maybe mirrors mounted to the bars.
                      I found these on ebay, very cheap, you can get mounts and mirrors or just the mounts and get better mirrors.
                      Last edited by ZookRick; 07-05-2014, 12:45 PM.
                      1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Let us know how the mirrors work out Zook...
                        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Pics when you get it figured out too!

Comment

Hey Zook - did you ever figure out the bar risers? I've been contemplating doing the same thing but it would be great to find out if it's been done before - no sense reinventing the wheel eh? ��
                            '99 Katana 750
                            Day Job - Mechanical engineering Designer
                            Passions: Professional musician / Project Recording Studio Owner / recording Engineer / mastering Engineer
                            Katana rider

Comment

Originally posted by SvanT View Post
                              Hey Zook - did you ever figure out the bar risers? I've been contemplating doing the same thing but it would be great to find out if it's been done before - no sense reinventing the wheel eh? ��
                              I have my bars and risers, just havent mounted them yet, too busy with my engine rebuild.
                              1989 GSXF 750 Katana.

Comment

Working...
                              X