Kat vs SV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat vs SV

I'm looking at
    2001 suzuki katana 600 with 6,114 miles for $2000 no visible damage/problems
    or
    a 2003 SUZUKI SV1000s with 43,000 miles for $1900 with cracks and scratches on left upper fairing that looks like a driveway drop

is the FI and power worth the extra 30k miles?
    94 kat 600 RIP
    97 vfr 750 ride on

The fact that an SV is a V twin, and the Katana is an inline 4. The Katana wins.

Comment

Ask JHILDE, he's had both a Kat and a SV1000.
      Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        The fact that an SV is a V twin, and the Katana is an inline 4. The Katana wins.
        Pardon my ignorance, why do V twins not do well in your mind compared to inline 4's? I have no v twin experience so I really have 0 idea. (Not trying to thread jack, figured the OP might also want to know)
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          Pardon my ignorance, why do V twins not do well in your mind compared to inline 4's? I have no v twin experience so I really have 0 idea. (Not trying to thread jack, figured the OP might also want to know)
          When I read that, I did a lil search on google. This discussion seems helpful

Extra life.

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
            Well, if you pay someone to do all your work, I guess it doesn't matter. Since I do all my own work and this is KatRiders.com where $25 dollar is a lot of money. Working on a V twin sucks. Take most of the parts on an inline 4 and double them. The torque vs. max HP thing was not at all what I was talking about. I was simply stating that from a working on them stand point, I hate twins. They have a lot of positives to offer if nothing ever goes wrong.
            Last edited by arsenic; 05-03-2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              Well, if you pay someone to do all your work, I guess it doesn't matter. Since I do all my own work and this is KatRiders.com where $25 dollar is a lot of money. Working on a V twin sucks. Take most of the parts on an inline 4 and double them. The torque vs. max HP thing was not at all what I was talking about. I was simply stating that from a working on them stand point, I hate twins. They have a lot of positives to offer if nothing ever goes wrong.
              Ah...my bad
              Extra life.

Comment

I'd ditch my Kat for a 2nd gen sv. Fi and a bit more hp.. the n model is nice fun bike you can toss around pretty easy.. I carved up mulholland Dr 2 up no prob...
                http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by GSXFJim View Post
                  Fi and a bit more hp..
                  Jim, you just named pretty much every other bike.

Comment

So what im gathering is that i'll be paying a lot for labor or for a lot of headache meds because I cant imagine a bike with those miles would be "low maintenance"
                    94 kat 600 RIP
                    97 vfr 750 ride on

Comment

I'd take the sv1k all day at that price. 10 times the bike for less money.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

It would really depend on the owners for me. If the kat is babied and the SV isnt I would go with the kat. Try and get maintenance records and if theres been any other owners.
                        2005 Gsx600f- My baby
                        1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
                        Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

I just picked up a 1998 VTR 1000 for 2k, Honda's equivalent to the SV 1000. It has 43000 miles. I've put a couple hundred miles on it and nothing has gone wrong. From my experience its more likely that YOU will do something wrong to a bike than something GOING wrong with it.

The SV will give you a nicer cruising rpm, WAY better sound (V-Twin), and the spirit that I4s kinda lack, but the Kat is sooooo easy to play in corners. Stock 90s kat with the right rider will corner better than most riders at a track day and the cable clutch/6 speed makes it feel natural.

Comment

I picked up a used first gen sv.. minor carb work and all the fueling issues are gone.. runs like watch and is fun to ride...
                            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

I loved my sv1000...but now I'm back to the kat. Katana wins for comfort...but based on the mileage alone, I would go with the kat. For 1900, you run a pretty good chance of buying a bike that will need a lot of work in the near future (if not right away)

On the other hand, a katana in very good condition can be had for around 2000.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think the 03 model was the last year before thy went to the new sv1000 with lighter crank and more rev. In other words, the 04 and on models were the more desirable ones
                              previous rides
                              06 kat 600, 04 Triumph ST Streetfighter, 07 Vstar 1100, 03 GSXR 750, 03 Hayabusa, 07 SV 1000 , 02 Bandit 1200s, Current ride - 07 Roadliner 1900,
                              next ride - another kat

Comment

Working...
                              X