X

R6 Shock install question PRE 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R6 Shock install question PRE 750

Hi just installed a 08 R6 shock on my PRE (96) 750 and even under load there seams to be plenty of battery box clearance, I guess I won't know for sure till I get it on the road. But most of the posts I've searched seam to be for PRE 600's that have required battery box modification. I know there's some differences in the pre 600 and 750 frames. I'm not complaining just wondering if anyone else has installed one on a 750.
    Thanks Richard
    96 Suzuki GSX750F
    89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
    05 Yamaha WR450F
    05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

I did, and other than a little bending of the battery box (at the very bottom), and no problems. It didn't seem like i really needed to, i just did it out of precaution.

Enjoy your shock, I surely enjoy mine.

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
      I did, and other than a little bending of the battery box (at the very bottom), and no problems. It didn't seem like i really needed to, i just did it out of precaution.

Enjoy your shock, I surely enjoy mine.
      So you have a 750?
      96 Suzuki GSX750F
      05 Yamaha WR450F
      05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

yes, a pre 750 (93)

Comment

It was close enough to rub on mine, but not very serious. How did you handle the 12mm bottom mounts?

curseboy- how does it ride for you, as compared to the stocker? where do you have the preload set at, and what do you weigh? just curious
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I trimmed my battery box to fit my R6 shock and padded the bottom with an old chamois to keep from rubbing thru the battery.
            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I weight 168 (plus gear) or so, I put the spring at one of the highest perches (can't recall which one) to get a sag of about 30mm, and also the rebound and compression settings fairly stiff (did that at a track day, don't remember how stiff either). The back ends feels very nice, but like most bike suspension, you don't get the true feeling of the suspension working until you've been riding for a few miles/minutes (A cold suspension feels different than at operating temperature)

Comment

What do you think about the spring rate, though? I know it's hard to compare a damping-free OEM Kat shock to the R6 unit directly, but do you think the spring should be stiffer for your weight?

I know Tmod said that racetech is offering a threaded collar so you can use aftermarket springs with the R6 shock, but I never got to ride on it, so I don't know what it feels like with the stock spring.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

As far as the bushings go a got a couple from Tmod. I haven't had a chance to ride mine since the shock install but from memory the back end seams a little stiffer. I'll play with the sag once I get it back together. and may replace the spring and preload adjuster depending on what I find. I'll go ahead a clearance the battery box just to be safe.
                  Richard
                  96 Suzuki GSX750F
                  05 Yamaha WR450F
                  05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                    What do you think about the spring rate, though? I know it's hard to compare a damping-free OEM Kat shock to the R6 unit directly, but do you think the spring should be stiffer for your weight?

I know Tmod said that racetech is offering a threaded collar so you can use aftermarket springs with the R6 shock, but I never got to ride on it, so I don't know what it feels like with the stock spring.
                    for my weight, yes the spring could be stiffer, but as it is, the back works just fine with the amount of preload i got. I am not gonna worry to much about the rear end, I am gonna concentrate on putting the emulators up front

Comment

I am gonna concentrate on putting the emulators up front
                      Don't know if you have them yet but I have a set I want to sell.

Tmod

Comment

I have them, just waiting for Bike Bandit to deliver my parts (bushings, seals, copper washers...... apparently they are delivering via Amish Buggy) Plus, the 750 emulators won't fit, since I'll be using damper rods from a pre600 for a hybrid 600/750 front end.

Comment

I have them, just waiting for Bike Bandit to deliver my parts (bushings, seals, copper washers...... apparently they are delivering via Amish Buggy) Plus, the 750 emulators won't fit, since I'll be using damper rods from a pre600 for a hybrid 600/750 front end.
                          Hmmm the pre 600's take the FEGV S4101 as well as the post kat's as well. I see RT says the 89~97 750 takes the FEGV S3801 so maybe that is the problem you are running into. Why a hybrid front end? Just parts on hand or something different?

Tmod

Comment

I think 600 and 750 use different forks from Showa. Can't remember for certain.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

More or less out of necessity, and I did mistakenly order the wrong emulators but then happened across a cheap ebay 600 front end.

no there is no problem on my end, just that my bottom fork legs on the 750 are beat up (drain holes stripped and jb welded shut, pinch on the left side cracked), and I scored a cheap pre 600 front end on ebay (40 shipped). I will be using the 600 lowers, oil locks and damping rods, and the 700 sliders and triple clamps. Looking at the parts list, it works. (the damping rod is the only difference between the 600/750.

I am no stranger to swapping front ends, I am running a cb700sc front end on my GS450 rat bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X