X

Corbin Leather Help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corbin Leather Help

I have been wanting a Corbin seat but not enough $$. I got one off of ebay for $55. The leather is torn on the edges mid seat on the bottom (where it touches if set down). I thought I could have it recovered but searching here it looks pretty expensive even if you don't go through Corbin. I am not too concerned with how it looks since the part you sit on is good. Is there anything that can be used to seal up where the leather is worn through? I thought of silicone or something like shoe goo just to keep moisture from working its way up and in the foam. I have not received the seat yet so just trying to be prepared to do something when it arrives.

I know getting them recovered by Corbin is 75% cost of new. Since my 600 and 1100 both have Corbins, interested to see if anyone has a fix. Mine are in good shape now, but if they ever need somethingike this, be nice to know how...
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I recovered my seat for less than 20 bucks, material from Joann fabrics
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Any automotive upholstery shop could fix it.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Any automotive upholstery shop could fix it.
          Not any. Find a good one if you're going that route. I took a Corbin to an upholstery shop once and a drunk monkey could have done a better job. For a temp fix I'd suggest using liquid electrical tape. Brush some along the scuff, let it dry and go ride.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            Not any. Find a good one if you're going that route. I took a Corbin to an upholstery shop once and a drunk monkey could have done a better job. For a temp fix I'd suggest using liquid electrical tape. Brush some along the scuff, let it dry and go ride.
            It seems even the good shops are expensive. I think I will give the liquid e tape a try. Should pass the 20' away test. Too many other things to get working on. This seat is in good shape where it counts and will give me the comfort I will need for a trip this summer.
            Thanks.

Comment

i paid about 100 to have my corbin reupholstered.

and picked out the material and colors to match the bike.
              went ahead and used the material that would go on water craft.
              looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by solgerny View Post
                i paid about 100 to have my corbin reupholstered.

and picked out the material and colors to match the bike.
                went ahead and used the material that would go on water craft.
                looks great.
                That is good to hear. I live near Denver Colorado so there should be plenty of places to check. I will try the liquid e tape until I can find a place to re cover it. I will be super happy if I can find someone to do it at $100. Corbin wants over $400 for a new one now. I would be into mine about $160 then.

Comment

Got the Corbin today! it is actually in better shape than my stock seat. the damage is there but is much less than it looked in the pics.

Comment

The problem with recovering the corbin I would suspect is the shape of the seat itself. It's not like you can just throw a piece of vinyl over it, but I agree any half decent shop should be able to handle it.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

From what i have read, Corbin seats are done with side panels. From your posts, the seat part is fine. The edges are messed up. I would like to think anybody that knows how to sew or an automotive upholstery shop could sew in that part, but i don't know upholstery, I have a guy for that. The next time I see him, I'll ask him about that.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X