X

2006 Zx-14

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Zx-14

Well, I'm past half ways breaking her in.

Breaking in procedure is first 1,000 miles split in half (500 miles each, thus the "half" part"

First half has you keep your RPMs below 4K. I thought that that would put me on the slow lane of the freeway at 55mph or something,,,, good God was I wrong! The ZX-14 gives you and indicated 80mph @ 4K RPM.

2nd half has you below 6K RPM:
    A few days ago, on my way home from work I reached 500 miles, by 501 I opened the throttle and hit 6K RPMs,,, this bikes opens a restrictive secondary flies at 6K, I was frigging CATAPULTED forward on 6th gear and aproximately 2 seconds on 6th @ 6K indicated 120+mph!!! Later experimentation is about 115mph. This on a long straight, safe from sorrounding traffic, I can no longer experiment anymore due to legal and safety reasons so I'll buy some track time and
    experiment there then.

I've ridden some Buells 1200, BMW K1200S, SV 1000, Aprilia something, GSXR 600, GSXR 750, Kaw 600R,,, all big fast bikes but never anything like this monster.

My ZX-14 is bone stock, the 06-07 models have a common mod where they remove the flies and place a PCIII, this eliminates the more mild low end manner bringing that 6K boost much lower,,, I'm not ready for anything like that,,, perhaps never would be a good estimate. The 2008 model for what I understand has less restrictive low end thus may not require the pulling of flies, I dunno. I hear that aftermarket pipes also add a bit on this monster.

This bikes catapults you no matter the speed or gear, I can't get over how much power, torque and speed is available when already on max gear, 6th, and cruising in the freeway.

Furthermore, the ergos are superb, I can't believe that's actually comfortable, honestly, I expected to take one for the team in the comfort department but to my bloody surprise it hasn't being an issue to me, longest leg ridden was about 120 miles on day 2 or 3.

A few days ago I did my first maintanance, the 600 miles at 618 miles. Today I greased and tensed the chain, adjusted the front shocks (3 ways) and the rear (2 ways) made the suspension a little harder than stock. I was gonna purchase a centerstand but opted for a rear stand, I still like the idea of the centerstand, we'll see.

I have not ventured much into the plastics but from what I hear at the ZX-14 site seems like Kaw discourages you working in the bike, lots of interlocked panels, lots of steps,,, I shall soon see.

I've got close to 300 miles left from breaking her in but with such an engine reaching 1000 miles wont open anything new for me in the streets, I'll have to track day in order to see what it's got.

All in all the most fan I've had in 2 wheels but she still has to respect the garage matriarch, my high mileage Kat sits there eying me warily, making sure that I remember my humble beginnings.

Last edited by 2000kat600; 01-23-2008, 12:10 AM. Reason: Adding Pix
    2000 Suzuki Katana 600 (Cryogenic suspension)
    2002 Kawasaki Vulcan (Gone)
    2006 Kawasaki ZX-14 (Gone)
    2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Sounds like an awesome bike. I know that Nero likes his too
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the write up. I have never gotten the chance to ride either the Busa or the 14. So I like to hear other people's experiences with them.
      It also cements the idea that I shouldn't buy one simply because I would kill myself.
      The only reason I get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

My kitchen is Burgandy. I don't apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by Koori25 View Post
        Thank you for the write up. I have never gotten the chance to ride either the Busa or the 14. So I like to hear other people's experiences with them.
        It also cements the idea that I shouldn't buy one simply because I would kill myself.
        cyberpeot and i have both test rode the 2007 zx-14 at daytona bike week, and we both fell in love with it, and both of us want to buy one if we had the money , cyber said he felt as if his arms were going to pull out i think or holding on for dear life :P , i felt very comfortable in laying the bike low in a turn , CP said he wish he had video of me riding it , as its the lowest he said he has ever seen me lean , as i never feel comfortable in turns much. i had test rode a kr1200 bmw b4 the zx-14 and realy thought about geting one but didnt feal comfortable turning the bike as i did on the 14. i kept the bike mostly in 3rd gear even at low speeds and threw the turns so i wouldnt over throtle it too much and even in 3rd at speeds under 40-50 it had fast picup , i pealed it out after a right turn too

Last edited by Malloc; 01-23-2008, 10:32 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Nice writeup, those things are incredible, great looking bikes too. I dont even mind the fins on the side, reminds me of a Ferrari Testarossa
          2002 GSX-R750
          2001 GSX-600F (sold)

Comment

That is nice to see how comfortable that big beast is, along with the performance which is what is mostly talked about on the bike. I really like the way they look. Very big bodied unlike the little R bikes.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

im interested in finding out how much better the busa is now that they upped CC's to compete with the zx14

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                im interested in finding out how much better the busa is now that they upped CC's to compete with the zx14
                The new Busas from the magazines I get rate the Busa having a few more horses than the new and improved ZX-14.
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Comment

ive herd better handling too thanks to radial brakes and the steering damper, but i want someone who has actually ridden it that can comment from a consumer point of view

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                    ive herd better handling too thanks to radial brakes and the steering damper, but i want someone who has actually ridden it that can comment from a consumer point of view
                    What they all indicated though is no negative about either, only praise and that is good

Comment

Working...
                    X