X

Headlight conversion, H1/H7 to H4

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight conversion, H1/H7 to H4

Pre story: My 2002 GSXF750 is originally fitted with two single filament bulbs, one H1 (highbeam) and one H7 (lowbeam). This means that at lowbeam only the left bulb light up and at highbeam they both light up.

Always thought it looked kinda wrong only having one side light up at lowbeam, so wanting to fix this I ordered a US headlight harness from CP.

When I got the harness I realized that this was i no way a direct swap.
    I knew i had to change the bulbs, but did not realize that the sockets were competly different.

This is what I am looking at (the H4 in picture for comparison):

Realizing I could not get the H4s to fit in the housing without modding, i started by cutting the sleeve off the H4 to make it fit in the H7 socket.

This:

Turned into this:

Gotta love that dremel tool

On to the next bulb. No way cutting an H4 would make it fit the H1 socket so had to cut the H1 socket off

Got the bulb in and fixed with a custom spring clip

So now I have high and low on both sides
    Just have to test them in traffic to see if there is a problem with blinding as the reflectors are different than on the US models.
    Initial tests in the garage suggest this should not be a problem.
    Anyway I still have the possibility to go back to stock if I should so desire.

I do believe this mod will make a big difference in visibility + make the Kat just a little bit cooler
    2002 GSXF 750

The adaptors in your first picture look like they also compensate for the bulb-length/filament-length/focal-length differences. Where did you find them or do you know who makes them?

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
      The adaptors in your first picture look like they also compensate for the bulb-length/filament-length/focal-length differences. Where did you find them or do you know who makes them?

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      The adaptors do not change how the bulb sits in the housing, as the bulb sleeve is what sits against the housing. The only practical thing I can see is that they enable the H1 and H7 to fit a H4 connector + they make the rubber grommet on the back of the housing fit snug.

As far as I know these are standard on my bike, atleast this is how it was when I bought it. They can possibly be ordered through a Suzuki dealer here.
      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

I learned something new (they say your never too old). My 04's headlights are both lit for high and low beam, in other words dual filament bulbs. Is this the first year Suzuki did that on the Kat?

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
          I learned something new (they say your never too old). My 04's headlights are both lit for high and low beam, in other words dual filament bulbs. Is this the first year Suzuki did that on the Kat?
          No, that's standard for the North American model Kats from 98 through 06. It's certain European markets that get the differentiated headlights.

For more, see: http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5?title=Headlight

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

So even the shape of the headlight socket is designed for the H7 for the EU bikes? The part that the bulb sits into?
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
              So even the shape of the headlight socket is designed for the H7 for the EU bikes? The part that the bulb sits into?
              I don't know if it's EU-wide, or limited to certain sub-EU markets (for example, I suspect the Germans get H4 bulbs). But for those markets that do run the H1-high/H7-low combo, the reflector, lens and bulb mount are bulb-specific for that solution. I'm pretty sure the Brits, for example, get the reverse of the Norwegians, an H1/H7 combo with the low-beam pointed mounted on the opposite side and pointing to the left...

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                But for those markets that do run the H1-high/H7-low combo, the reflector, lens and bulb mount are bulb-specific for that solution.
                Wow, bummer for those that want to does this mod.

I would figure the European countries to more safety minded where a dual bulb headlight would be standard.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                  I would figure the European countries to more safety minded where a dual bulb headlight would be standard.
                  As a general rule, their automotive lighting is generally better than ours, because of the differences between the light pattern requirements between the DOT and the EU (ECE) regulatory bodies. These differences include how edging is handled, with the US lights specifically not casting a reflection off to the side of the road to soften the transition from the lit-to-unlit portions (the europeans want pedestrians and other obstacles illuminated better); the US lenses are also (as of some year or other) not supposed to have any fresnel in the lensing system (which is a superior method to focusing light where you need it than merely reflector design).
                  The difference is extremely obvious among the Audi's, for example; the European headlights are an oft-sought after upgrade.

Here's a relevant graphic of the lighting differences -- note the bright white spot on the ECE lights and the more clear-cut, broader lighting:

Now, I'm not sure how this factors into the headlight differences among the Kats, but I'm apt to believe that the euro-reflectors are probably extremely efficient (more so than the US-standard, on a single-beam-vs-single-beam comparison basis), and only hampered by the fact that they use only a single filament bulb on each side, while we get more light but less efficiently.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Have not yet tested the bike in the dark after this mod, but from what I can tell in my garage it lights up the wall much more than before (both on high and low).

Also it does not seem to shine to high up when on lowbeam, so I don't think there will be any problem with blinding oncoming traffic.
                    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Have you gotten a night ride in yet? What's the verdict?

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Haven't really gotten to do any night riding yet, it is pretty much light until midnight up here in the summer.

I am however sure that the light is better than before.
                        I used to ride with high beams in the daytime with my old setup.
                        If i do this now i get crazy blinking from every car I meet. I take this as a good sign.

Will see if I can take a late ride this weekend to see how well it lights up the road.
                        2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Hi.
                          I'm planing to do The same as you did,
                          My honda cbr has a h7 but i wanna install h4. What did you use to cut? Where can i get it from? Do you have any problems with fog?

Comment

Zombie thread...
                            Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                            Tony
                            94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
                              Pre story: My 2002 GSXF750 is originally fitted with two single filament bulbs, one H1 (highbeam) and one H7 (lowbeam). This means that at lowbeam only the left bulb light up and at highbeam they both light up.

Always thought it looked kinda wrong only having one side light up at lowbeam, so wanting to fix this I ordered a US headlight harness from CP.

When I got the harness I realized that this was i no way a direct swap.
                              I knew i had to change the bulbs, but did not realize that the sockets were competly different.

This is what I am looking at (the H4 in picture for comparison):

Realizing I could not get the H4s to fit in the housing without modding, i started by cutting the sleeve off the H4 to make it fit in the H7 socket.

This:

Turned into this:

Gotta love that dremel tool

On to the next bulb. No way cutting an H4 would make it fit the H1 socket so had to cut the H1 socket off

Got the bulb in and fixed with a custom spring clip

So now I have high and low on both sides
                              Just have to test them in traffic to see if there is a problem with blinding as the reflectors are different than on the US models.
                              Initial tests in the garage suggest this should not be a problem.
                              Anyway I still have the possibility to go back to stock if I should so desire.

I do believe this mod will make a big difference in visibility + make the Kat just a little bit cooler

I live in the UK and have the same issue but have managed to get a head light that holds the H4 bulbs, Could you tell me how you adapted the wiring please or even better a picture

Comment

Working...
                              X