X

2000 Katana wont charge?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Katana wont charge?

I am a pretty good mecahinc. but a terribel electrician. I dont have the manual . How and where do I check for power to tell where the chargin system has went south?
    Watching Obama run this country is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

First thing is to get the schematic. Lots of people on here have one in pdf format. I'll see if I cant extract one from my softcopy of the manual.
    sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
    MSF Rider Coach 27028
    MoPowerSports.com
    Torco
    SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Have you checked the battery to make sure that it will actually accept a charge? That might be the problem if not...
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I get the bike home tomorrow. Havent had a chance to check anything yet. Just looking for idea. I have a battery tester so i will be charging it then chaecking it, Will clean and inspect the copnnections, What I was wondering, Is if there is a check i can do to see voltage when it running. i will obviously run a Volt meter on the battery while the bike is running, If its not charginsm, Then what next?

Comment

Well , then you can (like you already plan) charge/check battery , clean wiring , test alternator , and after THAT ...... . I never had to go "after that" .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by frobotz View Post
            What I was wondering, Is if there is a check i can do to see voltage when it running. i will obviously run a Volt meter on the battery while the bike is running
            Did you just answer your own question?

Originally posted by md86 View Post
            Well , then you can (like you already plan) charge/check battery , clean wiring , test alternator , and after THAT ...... . I never had to go "after that" .
            A mechanic is "after that" eh?
            Last edited by squiggy; 01-17-2009, 11:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

No I didnt answer my question. There are several checks like checking continuity of the wiring, Checking the altenator or the voltage regulator (Speaking about cars here) that you can do on motorcycles, Just not sure where to go with this yet. I WILL NEVER take my bike to a mechanic. I will fix it eventually. I have a few spare parts from my 2004 bandit 1200 that might cross over (cdi and such) Anyhow I was looking for the specific checks for the electrical system AFTER the normal checks failed to show the problem.

Comment

Good luck with the bike.
                Here is the wiring diagram, hope it can be of some help.

2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by frobotz View Post
                  No I didnt answer my question.
                  OK, you reiterated the same question.

You can buy something like the Auto Meter's volt meter to check the volts while riding the bike.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Just put the meter on DC and higher than 20vdc setting. Positive lead on the positve battery terminal, negative on the negative. Should charge anywhere between 13.5 and 14.6 vdc at idle. Suzuki charging systems don't use the regulator until higher rpms than idle so thats a good way to check the charging system. When the motors off, should see above 12vdc on the battery and it shouldnt drop over time. If it does, either look for a current draw or maybe a cell shorting out.
                    sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                    MSF Rider Coach 27028
                    MoPowerSports.com
                    Torco
                    SoCalTrackDays

Comment

I found what I was looking for on another forum, Bayond all the obvoius checks stated above, There is a way to check the components themselves. Thansk anyhow

And again I did not answer or reinerate my question, Just no one answered it.

Happy riding all. Thanks for the wiring diagram, That will help alot in the future.

Comment

CP has a good description here:
                        motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The book should have checks on the other parts. Like the resistance of the coils on the alternator etc..

Comment

Working...
                        X