X

Busa shock on a 98+

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busa shock on a 98+

Anyone done that one yet ... on a 98+? If so, how much cutting/drilling/cursing was involved? I'm collecting parts for this winter and was hoping to revamp the springy-bits. Plus I do some 2-up touring and would like a bit higher/beefier shock in the rear. Figure I'll do some Sonic Springs up front (probably 0.9).

I've searched like mad and only found info about pre-98's

Thanks in advance all!
    - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
    2005 F4i -

'99 - '06? Hayabusa (moonlit)

Notes:
    Battery Box needs to move back ~2"
    Splash guard needs to be trimmed
    (where splash guard bolts to battery box)
    This is to clear room for piggy back reservoir.

No information on increased ride height but similar Gixxer shock adds
    1 1/4 inches
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve, but what about a 98+? Is the battery box in the same location? I imagine it couldn't be that different, but would hate to get a shock in expecting a nice easy install and end up having break out the welder

That quote is for pre's...
      - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
      2005 F4i -

Comment

Whoops, sorry. I don't think you'd need to break out the welder...

I don't have a 98+ to comment... but the 98+ shock is a direct swap into the pre frame...
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That's what I figured. Maybe just a little different cutting on the battery box ... prolly nothing major though.

Thanks again!
          - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
          2005 F4i -

Comment

I'm pretty sure the shock set up is basically the same, just the dog bones changed pre to post.

Comment

Well my bike failed it's MoT today (UK annual roadworthiness test) due to no damping on the rear shock so will be looking for a replacement.

Any update on the busa shock install? Did it fit, etc?

Read the 'how to' swap post a few times and was wondering what years '2nd generation bandit 1200's' were?

Could possibly get http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-GSF1200...QQcmdZViewItem if it's the right years.
              Last edited by grumpyoldgit; 10-18-2007, 03:54 PM.
              Riding 2002 GSX600F for 2 years. UK rider.

Comment

Haven't done the swap yet ... I'm pulling the Kat in the 3-season room tonight and starting the winter teardown this weekend. I'll definatly post pics and what not when I get it in there.

2nd gen bandit's are '01 + I believe. I figured I'd go the busa route because there seems to be more of them on flea-bay and I can get a much newer version (why buy a 6 year old shock as a replacement?). A little more rear ride height also would be a welcome thing when I've got loaded down saddlebags and the wife on the back.
                - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                2005 F4i -

Comment

Decided to go for a Hagon shock in the end, can't believe the difference tbh, it's like 'how the hell did I ride this before?'

Gonna change the fork springs to Hagon's also now

Comment

Good to hear it worked out for ya. I'm still winning my ebay auction for an '07 busa shock ... another day or so and I'll know if I got it.
                    - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                    2005 F4i -

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyoldgit View Post
                      Decided to go for a Hagon shock in the end
                      A whatnow ?
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        A whatnow ?
                        http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/HagMono.htm UK shock manufacturer, not one of the most expensive, but decent quality/adjustability with a 2 year warranty and fully rebuildable.

Comment

Just got he shock in the mail the other day, it's in VERY good shape better be, it only had 358 miles on it (allegedly).

From first glance I can tell it's definatly a tad bigger than the stocker on there now and should raise the rear an inch or so. Also the reservoir is pretty substantial and will require the battery to move back 2-3" and some cutting up of the battery box. Doesn't look difficult, but I'm hoping the battery cables have enough slack in them to allow me to relocate it without having to splice in a few inches.

I'll take some pics as I go, and before/after measurements. Maybe writeup a little something if it's complex enough to warrant a how-to.

Wish me luck!
                          - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                          2005 F4i -

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Kila-Beave View Post
                              Just got he shock in the mail the other day, it's in VERY good shape better be, it only had 358 miles on it (allegedly).

From first glance I can tell it's definatly a tad bigger than the stocker on there now and should raise the rear an inch or so. Also the reservoir is pretty substantial and will require the battery to move back 2-3" and some cutting up of the battery box. Doesn't look difficult, but I'm hoping the battery cables have enough slack in them to allow me to relocate it without having to splice in a few inches.

I'll take some pics as I go, and before/after measurements. Maybe writeup a little something if it's complex enough to warrant a how-to.

Wish me luck!
                              I was able to just slide the battery box back and drill/tap new holes. It ends up sitting differently because it is no longer sandwiched with the tank mount. I think it was 2 1/4", I had no issues that I can remember with the wiring..

Is this on a Pre or 98+? I still have to complete the entry of it in the exchange list.. Any info you can provide me would be great!

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X