X

ignition problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition problem

I am getting no spark. New plugs installed. Tested coils both the primary and secondary windings tested fine. tested the throttle sensor, fine checked all the continuity and it was fine. I am thinking the only thing left is the cdi, is there anything to look for to know for sure? Any other suggestions.
    "Muck, what part of "Thou shall not" didn't you understand?" GOD

Do you have power

Do you have power to the coils? How about to the controller? Did it die while running or just not start? I think the kill switch kills the starter also but you may want to check it. Also check all fuses.

Comment

I test to see if I had power to the coils back in october. But you reminded me thaqt I dont think i am geting power to one coil but both arnt giving a spark. all fuses were checked. and it first die while running i think. I got the bike off someone else not runnigng. but know it wont start period. What controller are you talking about?

Comment

no spark or bad spark

replace-- coil
        replace-- spark plugs
        replace-- Signal generator
        replace--ignitor cdi box

Download the suzuki shop manual it's on here somewhere it will walk you through the steps to find where you are not getting spark.

Comment

also checked the pulse generator

Comment

Download manual

Download the manual from this site. Read everything. Gather the tools to test your system. Test your system. Identify the problem. Fix the problem. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

Or you could follow the advise of some and just start throwing parts at it till it runs.

Or take it to the local Suzuki shop that has hopefully read the manual. Gathered the tools. And then they will test your system. Identify the problem. Fix the problem. Take a lot of your money. And you won't be able to afford enjoying your summer.

Comment

OK how about some good advice?

We are going to start from one end to the other;
              Spark plugs (most likely) You say they are new? Really?? Because I have had plugs that were new but not "out of the box" new.. And I spent 2 days trouble shooting the ignition. Turned out it was the plugs. So are they new? Or "out of the box new"?? ok lets make sure that when you check them they are grounded well. Spend 30 minutes finding the best spot on the bike to do it. Make up rig to connect it to the ground. Do not waste your time touching it to the case or fame. No sir. Do not.

Wires. Check the wires, maybe you did when you checked the coils? OK check em again. Take the boots off and check to see they are tight and the wire is in good shape. Trim them and reconnect the boots.

Coils. Yes you checked em, now I'll ask did you check them against a manual and if not who did you get the resistance numbers from? (please say me or CP ) Now check them again while heating them up with a blow drier. "BP his bike won't run, why do that??" Cause I said so! You're looking to see if heat creates an open or short in the coils.

Wire to coils. Do a search or look in your manual. I think a search here might be better, make 100% sure the wires to the coils (from the CDI) are connected right. Also trace them back to the CDI, make sure there are no loose wires.

Pulse generator is OK, again was this by the book? And did you check the wires back to the CDI. Did you clean all the connections we checked today? Lets do that too..

If all these parts are OK.. Sounds like you need a CDI. It's about the only part you can't meter test..

Good luck..

Comment

Wow thats for the responce I was looking for black_peter The plugs are new out of the box. All the numbers I was useing were out of Haynes manual. I did follow all wire with the wire diagram to make sure evey thing was where it is suppost to go and the wires i did discont to test did not look to cause any alarm and my continuity test came out fine. I'll check the wires with a heat gun and cut them short to see if I find any thing. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Good advice

Sounds like Black Peter is telling you to do what the manual would have you do.
                  Now lets see, didn't someone suggest that. Oh yeah that was me. Guess my "advice" wasn't good cause it meant the need to actually read and understand something instead of just using others to read to you.
                  Sorry to have suggested gaining knowledge as a good thing.
                  If you feed a man a fish he's satisfied for a day. If you teach him to fish you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Re: Good advice

Originally posted by GregS
                    If you feed a man a fish he's satisfied for a day. If you teach him to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
                    Originally posted by GregS
                    Download the manual from this site. Read everything. Gather the tools to test your system. Test your system. Identify the problem. Fix the problem. Enjoy the rest of the summer.
                    Your idea of teaching him to fish was throwing him in the water and saying "I'll be back in 3 days"... The guy wanted advice your post was just lame..

Comment

I have the manual an can read it I tested every thing bp suggested before he posted except for the heating of the wires. I was looking for things to try like that. Not buy a manual or take it to a dealer. you didnt give any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by muck
                        I have the manual an can read it I tested every thing bp suggested before he posted except for the heating of the wires. I was looking for things to try like that. Not buy a manual or take it to a dealer. you didnt give any advice.
                        Sorry mate, you want to heat the coils..
                        Also you might as well disconnect/reconnect/clean every connector in the ignition circuit. A little build up could create enough resistance in operation to cause an issue, but maybe not be found with your meter.. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                          Originally posted by muck
                          Sorry mate, you want to heat the coils..
                          Also you might as well disconnect/reconnect/clean every connector in the ignition circuit. A little build up could create enough resistance in operation to cause an issue, but maybe not be found with your meter.. Maybe.
                          I THINK he was addressing the OTHER guy .....
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            I THINK he was addressing the OTHER guy .....
                            I know he was.. I was saying sorry because he misunderstood that I wanted him to heat the wires.. I want him to heal the coil..

Comment

I was talking to the other guy, now are we all on the same page?

Comment

Working...
                              X