X

Turn SIgnals will not work

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn SIgnals will not work

My turn signals will only work once in a while. Usually nothing happens if I press the signal button (right and left). Every once in a while the right signal will work. Any suggestions as to what could cause this problem? I am a newb with bikes...

well, there's two thing it could be. Either your handel bar switch is the problem, or there is a relay for the flashers on the battery box. Your problem is probably in the switch though.

Comment

The relay is a thermal type and will not work if there are any LED lights on the bike. LEDs require a special electronic relay. If there are no LED's on the bike, it's probably just a worn out relay causing the problem.

Comment

Could also just be the connections ...
        For example, If you unplug the left turn signal, the flip the switch to the right, the right will just stay on and not flash. Check 'em!
        "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy"

"True wisdom, only comes from pain"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackKat93
          The relay is a thermal type and will not work if there are any LED lights on the bike.
          Not true..

I'm guessing you just have to check and clean your connections.
          Motorcycle electrics live a hard life. Water, vibration, sun all that.. Cleaning and adding di-electric grease will solve your problem along the way, find the problem and probably prevent other problems

Comment

I bet that peter is right .. do you keep the bike out side or is there hight humidity where you live?

Comment

I'm in Ottawa, Canada, so the bike just spent the winter in a garage in the cold, although it was winterized. The problem was there in the fall though, but not as bad (the bike sat for most of the summer too last year, although it was started periodically).

There are no leds on the bike at all. Where would I find di-electric cleaner? Hardware store or automotive store? I'm alright with basic things (i.e. managed to change my own spark plugs) but I really don't know alot about wiring in a bike. Peter, do I just wipe down the connections with a cloth, and put some of this grease on?

Comment

Check the fuse. Even if the fust isn't blowen make sure it's clean. If there's any crud on it replace it. I work in the car stereo industry and I've seen way too many intermintent problems caused just from a dirty fuse.
                ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯ `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

``·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

Comment

Originally posted by RH55
                  Where would I find di-electric cleaner? Hardware store or automotive store? I'm alright with basic things (i.e. managed to change my own spark plugs) but I really don't know alot about wiring in a bike.
                  Sorry I went through that kind of fast..

These guys ought to have it:

I bought a large tube here in the MN (practically Canada!) NAPA
                  for a few bucks. It is di-electric grease or bulb grease
                  It is a grease (like vasoline) that is designed for electrical connections.

So the How to:
                  Start at one "end" of the bike. If you have the time do the whole bike, if you just want to get the signals going OK..
                  You will want some tools, like tiny screw drivers, razor blades, tooth brushes, dental tools that kind of thing. Moving from one end to the other unplug each connector you come across, clean any gunk off of it using your tiny tools..
                  Gunk:
                  Green oxidation (green from the copper), White oxidation (Zinc), Dirt, etc...
                  Apply a good amount of the grease to the female part. (or male..) I fill the plastic housing. Firmly reconnect the plug, wipe off any grease that oozed out (it will attract dirt) move on..

TIPS:
                  Take apart older plastic connectors carefully! The plastic will dry and break. Ease the two halves apart . Use the tiny screw driver to carefully separate the parts..

Bullet connectors can be a pain to reconnect. I use a tiny screw driver on the male part, I slip it under the insulation and push on the bullet. This reduces the stress on the wire..

Comment

There sure have been a lot of these threads about turn signals lately. My 2 cents says to check the flasher. It's a $2 US part, about the size of a stack of 5 quarters, and near your battery.

Long Live the D

Comment

Thanks very much everyone for the advice; especially Peter. I'll try cleaning everything this weekend.

One final question: should the battery be disconnected while working on the wiring, or does this not matter?

Comment

well just to be safe you might want to take it an disconnect it, no reason to leave it connected.

Comment

Got the signals fixed - i switched the fuse. Now on to my next problem....

Comment

Working...
                          X