X

Bicycle Riding Good Training For Motorcycle Riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bicycle Riding Good Training For Motorcycle Riding

Being a life-long cyclist, I am again thinking of how my many years as a cyclist- road, and mountain- have trained me to be a better motorcyclist. Many of the things I learned, some the hard way, have served me well on motorcycles:

Touching the brakes to loose just a little speed, while not letting off the power. Useful when in a peloton, and too close to a mc'ist just ahead of you in a curve.

Countersteering. I've done this so much on a bicycle I often do it reflexively on the mc.

Weighing down on the outside peg/pedal and the inside bar- makes you carve around the curve like nothing else. Or is it the other way 'round? I have been doing THAT for so long, I do it automatically, too.

Avoiding target fixation. You can't get thru a single mountain bike ride without knowing this well. Or learning it on the trail.

Good physical conditioning for riding. Cycling uses much more upper body work than you might think, and you control your mc with your legs more than you think.

Being aware of traffic/surroundings. No matter how strong your thighs are, accelerating away from an oncoming SUV is not likely to get you out if a jam. Knowing what is happening around you becomes second nature when you cycle in an urban environment.

Establishing your right to the lane. Cyclist call this "riding out," or taking the right-hand tire track of the lane, instead of hugging the white line. It forces motorist to at the least see you, and allows you to take the room you need. Yes, it pisses off the occasional jerk, but overall it is a better tactic. Cyclist know to watch their mirrors, and move over when traffic begins to back up behind them.

And I learned to wave to other two-wheelers on a bicycle, too. That's why I wave to cyclist, and give them the lane, when on my motor.
    "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

The biggest difference I found was getting the weight off the bars and into the legs pinching the tank. Otherwise, I also found years of cyling very helpful. Oh, and being able to hit the throttle is a nice change too.
    http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

I used to bike just about every day. I was never a hard-core mountain cyclist or anything, but my experiance has definitly helped me out a lot.

Comment

Biggest difference I've noticed is the leaning. On a mountain bike, the terrain typically forces you lean (being normal to the banking of the turn). On the MC, even if there is negative camber on the turn, you have to input for a lean.

I've mountain biked over some extremely difficult trails (many rock gardens, loose gravel and through running streams). Often, my lower back would feel like a pretzel after a ride whereas the Kat doesn't give me that same feeling (probably lean angle related).

Comment

Working...
        X