No announcement yet.
X

Project Save the Old Kats -- '93 resuscitation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subscribed! where in Dallas are you? I'm slowly trying to resurrect my '82 Kat!
    Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by JB's Kat View Post
      Subscribed! where in Dallas are you? I'm slowly trying to resurrect my '82 Kat!
      Good luck!
      I'm in Oak Cliff, near the Bishop Arts district - you?

Comment

I had some time this weekend to strip the thing down so I could make all the needed frame repairs (clean up drilled holes from the rivets, fix coil mount, etc.), then take it to the powder coaters.

Here's the thing on the way to naked:

I'm told the 1100 motor I got will almost bolt in to this 750 frame (only need to fab some front engine mounts).

That being the case, It's more valuable to me, so I'm going to work harder to bring this further back to a normal street bike, that is, eliminate the stretch rear end and find proper rear suspension.

So... Rob has a Bandit swing arm at http://www.parts.suzuki-katana.com . Anyone here have experience doing this mod? Would love thoughts and pix...

Thanks.
        Last edited by versicat; 05-21-2017, 04:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by versicat View Post
          I'm in Oak Cliff, near the Bishop Arts district - you?
          I'm in North Plano... maybe once we both finish our projects we can meet up...

Comment

Originally posted by JB's Kat View Post
            I'm in North Plano... maybe once we both finish our projects we can meet up...
            Cool!
            Will PM

Comment

Sweet!!!!

RE: 1100 motor...

If you're planning on keeping it for a long time and making it a resto-custom then do it...Otherwise if you want it to be all original and think you'll get bored after it's done, keep the 750.

Comment

Finally got a bit of time to tinker with the gas tank.

The JB weld was useless; pulled right off. Got a spot welder thingy from Harbor Freight, it worked much better.

Here's my attempts at pulling out these dents and straightening the tank:

Pulling, making a mess of things...

Threw some primer on it to see how the curves look. Much better. Almost ready for filler....

Comment

Working...
                X