X

Won't go past 90

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't go past 90

94 600. I ran out of gas yesterday, so I figured I got some dirt in the carbs, but it seems to wind out fine in lower gears. I don't have a tach, but I assume around 7500 RPM in 5th and 6th it just won't go any more. It's kinda hard to explain, it's not like it's bogging down and I have to let up on the throttle, it's more like a....I dunno, a miss? And it doesn't matter how much I'm on the throtle, it still does it.
    Last edited by TSG; 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM.

Did you take the precock off the reserve setting?
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Good question, but yes.

Comment

Excuse me if this sounds crazy, but I filled up with ethanol-free gas. It usually takes gas with ethanol. Could it be a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by TSG View Post
          94 600. I ran out of gas yesterday, so I figured I got some dirt in the carbs, but it seems to wind out fine in lower gears. I don't have a tach, but I assume around 7500 RPM in 5th and 6th it just won't go any more.
          Really big assumption there..
          Are you sure it's winding out? Why would you wind out an engine with no tach?? Why do I sound like Arsenic??..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            Why do I sound like Arsenic??..
            Hey, if asking why people do really things, makes you sound like me. I guess it just happens.

Comment

Redlne is around 13 or 14k. At redline, the bike will be "shaking" pretty hard.

At 7500RPM i wouldn't expect much noise or movement.

I would suggest you get a tach before burning out the motor.

If the bike won't go over 90, there are two potential issues: dirty carbs, or a badly calibrated speedo.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                If the bike won't go over 90, there are two potential issues: dirty carbs, or a badly calibrated speedo.

Or someone thought the bike would run without the stock airbox/airfilter combo and removed 1 or both.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  Really big assumption there...
                  I just recently took it off. I know that at 80mph it would run at 6500-7000 rpm, so I just kinda figured. I am putting it back on but I need to make a mount. And by "winding out" I don't mean taking it to what I think is the redline. Just getting on it a little.

I thought it was the carbs too, but wouldn't it stutter at that rpm range regardless of what gear it's in?

Krey, it has the stock airbox and filter.

Comment

Originally posted by TSG View Post
                    I just recently took it off. I know that at 80mph it would run at 6500-7000 rpm, so I just kinda figured. I am putting it back on but I need to make a mount. And by "winding out" I don't mean taking it to what I think is the redline. Just getting on it a little.

I thought it was the carbs too, but wouldn't it stutter at that rpm range regardless of what gear it's in?

Krey, it has the stock airbox and filter.

Zip tie makes a great temp mount...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I just had my bandit out on Sunday. It's been sitting since october, and it's a little grumpy. The RPMs were hanging a little which I suspect means I'll be cleaning carbs shortly.

Never underestimate dirty carbs as a factory to a running issue.
                      -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Going out on a limb here, but its just a thought cause I would personally like to know if it is possible, but could a malfunctioning ignitor cause a problem like this, or would that more likely affect the rpms in all gears?
                        1992- project katfighter
                        2005- GSXR750
                        2001- TL1000R
                        www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

CDI could def do it, would be very strange that it happens at a certain speed though.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thats what I was wondering I was thinking theres a chance it may cause something like that but I also thought it would more likely affect the rpm in every gear.
                            1992- project katfighter
                            2005- GSXR750
                            2001- TL1000R
                            www.lunchtimecigar.com

Comment

Electronics usually fail when HOT. If the problem happens consistently, it's probably not the coils.
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X