X

Help Oil Looks low 2nd time riding since winter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Oil Looks low 2nd time riding since winter

Yesterday I noticed that my oil level was alittle below the full line. Today I rode my bike about 35 miles on the interstate. I parked the bike and went back later and now it shows that it is even lower. Looked for oil leaks didnt see any. Second time riding since winter. Is this normal if i didnt winterize my bike. Also does anyone know what wieght oil I should use to top my oil off.

When you checked the oil the second time it may not have all dropped back into the sump. If you can see no obvious oil leaks then this would seem to be the most obvious reason to me. I use a 10w 40 semi synthetic oil in my bike. Always use motorbike oil and not car oil in your bike.
    Your damned if you do, and your damned if you don't (Bart Simpson)

Comment

I got to go with daslex but change it and you won't have to wonder. Good luck.

Comment

I think we'd need to know more about the times involved. According to the manual, when doing an oil change, you're supposed to put the appropriate amount of oil in, then start the bike and let it run a few minutes, shut the bike off, and then check the oil level 3 minutes after you shut it off. If you checked it before then, it hadn't all trickled down into the pan yet.

However, how long had it been since it was started before you first noticed it was low? If it had been over the winter since it was started, and looked low, and then without adding any you started it up and rode it and then checked it, it could be lower. If it sat that long, then the oil may have partially drained out of the oil cooler and other recesses in the engine into the pan, and after starting, it circulated that back through the system and had oil sitting in the cooler again, which would make it seem lower.

The previous responses were correct about the weight. Specifically use motorcycle oil meant for wet clutches. There are other threads on here discussing oil in length if you do a search.

I do somewhat agree that if the oil isn't leaking anywhere, and you don't have huge clouds of smoke from burning it, then it probably can't be going anywhere. But that's just a general rule. If the engine doesn't have enough oil in it, logical thinking doesn't mean it will have enough oil.

Comment

Working...
        X