X

Starter button won't start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter button won't start

I was reading a thread over in Q&A about a similar issue with an engine not turning over - my bike is a 96 Kat 600, no mods, completely stock, and it was running fine until this morning. I just put a new choke cable in, and the spring that pushes on the choke bracket is actually too strong for choke to stay open; I have to hold the choke open with my hand until it's running smooth, then let it go to close the choke. That may be related, but anyway I went to start it this morning and I dropped the choke off too early, so my bike dropped below 1k rpm and sputtered and died. Immediately after, I could no longer start my bike. When I hit my starter switch, I get no response - no clicking, no engine turn over, no sound of anything - exactly like when the clutch switch is open. So I thought, ok, my bike's not in the best of shape, maybe the switch is having issues. I shorted the switch by taking the two connectors off the bottom of the left handlebar control and ran a piece of wire between the two terminals. Still, no action from the starter. I checked my wiring harnesses after taking off my tank and they're all connected, and all my fuses are doing ok. All my lights on my console are working, neutral, hi beam, oil temp, blinkers, and gauge lights. But still no action from the starter. I'm out of ideas where to go next, and I'm at work right now (had to get a ride :/) but I'm going to pick up a multimeter on the way to home and start checking things.

Dont mean to state the obvious but have you knocked the engine kill switch. This would cause these symptoms.
    Your damned if you do, and your damned if you don't (Bart Simpson)

Comment

No, engine kill switch is doing OK, and I disassembled the switch housing to make sure the switch itself was switching. As far as I can tell, I didn't do anything to the bike other than start it, let it die, and then attempt to start it again. My first thought was a blown fuse, but they're all OK. I'm lost going forward. I did just buy a new headlight and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my gauges when I streetfighter-ize my bike, so I'll get to work on all the electronics when I can. I think I may strip the old wire wraps and re-wrap and re-route all my electronics to clean up the exterior look of my bike.

Comment

is the neutral light on ?

try with side stand up ?

so you said the fuses are ok (the ones easy to get to under the seat )

Did you check the main fuse?? behind left tail fairing
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Side stand is up, in neutral, neutral light is on. Guess I haven't checked main fuse, but I would think none of my lights would turn on if my main was blown.

Comment

sometimes light still work if fuse is damage..

Comment

Ripped apart my electricals, tested all fuses and they're ok. Turns out my starter switch itself had some corrosion on the contacts inside the switch, and once I pulled it apart and cleaned it off with some sandpaper it starts fine.

Comment

I know you said it starts fine, but in case anyone else has this issue, we should add the point to check the wire to the clutch. Mine was broken at a splice, and the starter was nonresponsive. My mechanic friend had taken all the fairings off to check all the wiring, only to find the broken wire up at the clutch.

2006 Katana 750
                2001 Katana 750 (Deerhunter)
                2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

Working...
                X