Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

LED quesiton. Ever see something like this?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED quesiton. Ever see something like this?

First off, bike is a 1993 1100. I put an integrated LED tail/brake/turn light on it. It was originally for a gsxr but I changed the rear so it fits, anyway.
    I made up LED signals for the sides to put near the rear in order to make my turnals more visible. They contain 10 LEDs each, wired 2 x (5 LEDs + resistor) in parallel.
    The rear turn signal currently on the bike has a load resistor wired in parallel in order to increase current draw and trip the flasher unit.

Here is the problem:
    Side LED strip wired in parallel with rear turn signal
    - Rear and front signals turn on and blink
    - Nothing happens with the side signal
    Side LED strip wired in series with the rear turn signal (after both the LEDs and the resistor)
    - Rear and front signals turn on but are steady
    - Side signal turns on but is also steady
    - Obviously this is because the added resistance of the 2 turn signals is causing a drop in current flow and not tripping the flasher unit.

And yes, I did check polarity on the LEDs when i hooked them up. I took a tap wire off of the circuit so that I could check to make sure that positive went with positive and neg with neg, etc.
    Any ideas?

I have a pic of the circuit diagram showing the set up. But I can upload it right now. Reached my 2 mb limit.

What resistors did you use? Did you guess? or calculate them?
    You said that the load resistor is in parallel with the rear unit. Is it just one load resistor?

Want to email me the schematic?

Comment

The resistors came with the LEDS for that specific purpose. I tested the LED strips with a 12 VDC source prior to installing them. I am e-mailed the schematic.

Comment

Got it..
        I'm thinking:
        a. Steady light,
        The current as you thought is too low to trip the flasher.

b. No light,
        The current flies though the main blinker (path of least resistance)

Maybe try the steady light arrangement and get rid of the load resistor..

Comment

Hmm, I thought about that path of least resistance thing. But whole setup isn't the easiest thing to work on and considering I have my medical board exam coming up this month, everything willl have to go on hold for a while. Thanks for your advice. I'll post with my results when I resurface to society in a month.

Comment

Good luck!!
            (With the exam that is!)

Comment

Working...
            X