Ride In Peace Marc

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101

Mechanics 101 Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Old 03-16-2015, 04:19 PM   #131
jettrod
Chicken Strip

Default evil ethenol

I have a 2001 kawasaki klr 650 that I bought new. In the owners manual it says to NOT use ethinol blended gas as it will likely cause problems with the fuel system such as moisture build up. It does say that you can use it if no other fuel is available, but to use as little as possible. Unfortunately it is difficult to find gas without ethenol in it in Canada. I do believe that the premium gas at some stations doesn't have ethenol in it so ya might just have to shop around. It does tell you that it can't be good for your bike tho if the manufacturer says not to use it. Not sure why it's in there anyway, seems to me that the study's have shown that you'll get worse milage and have less power with ethenol blended gas, although I don't think it's quite as bad as that mtbe was that used to be in our gas until it was proven to be way worse for the environment as well as messing up fuel pumps in vehicles. I believe Shell stations were paying for fuel pump replacements in Chrysler minivans a few years ago because of it.
jettrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #132
bucket_hat_jojo
Rookie

not sure if it's been mentioned, but there are sites that tell you what gas stations serve ethanol free gas.
bucket_hat_jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:48 PM   #133
92xjunker
Neo-Maxoid-Zoomed-Dweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Yeah, none here and getting thinner. I would sue my state for repair of my vehicle caused by this fuel. They know it damages vehicles, even e85 rated. Alcohol is corrosive.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #134
90GixxerGeezer
Skid Mark

Default Evil ethanol

My solution to the evil ethanol problem for all my engines that may sit idle for weeks or months at a time is to drain the existing fuel, then put 2 gallons of 100LL avgas in the tank and fire it up for a few minutes to purge any remaining auto gas from the system. Aviation fuel us engineered to sit in aircraft tanks for YEARS without any significant change in chemistry. It is non-corrosive and friendly to all known carburetor gaskets and fuel lines and fittings. At 6 bucks a gallon it is cheap insurance. You can obtain it from your nearest general abiation airport FBO. Plus, the bike really snorts when running on that stuff.

Err .. aviation, not abiation.. My bad

Last edited by 90GixxerGeezer; 08-27-2015 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
90GixxerGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #135
katanarider
Kat Daddy

Figured I'd update this thread since its got so many visits:
Local pump... January/30/2017

Old 05-15-2017, 07:36 AM   #136
Cheap Bass Turd
Chicken Strip

I used it to desludge my Dakota engine last fall.
Halfway thru the tankful of E-85 the oil pressure
gauge went to zero and back up. Did this a few times
during the same drive. Dumped the oil and it came
out in globs mixed in with the oil. Put in a quart of oil, 4 qts diesel,
idled it for 6 min, and more globs fell out. Bet that baby is
squeaky clean in there, and luckily ethanol free gas is available
here in Indy-anna. NONE of that stuff is going into my bike unless
roadtrippin' so it's getting cooked out right away.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap
Cheap Bass Turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #137
RobertTravis
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Bass Turd View Post
I used it to desludge my Dakota engine last fall.
Halfway thru the tankful of E-85 the oil pressure
gauge went to zero and back up. Did this a few times
during the same drive. Dumped the oil and it came
out in globs mixed in with the oil. Put in a quart of oil, 4 qts diesel,
idled it for 6 min, and more globs fell out. Bet that baby is
squeaky clean in there, and luckily ethanol free gas is available
here in Indy-anna. NONE of that stuff is going into my bike unless
roadtrippin' so it's getting cooked out right away.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap
Roundy-Round cars built to run on alky run 'bean oil' for that very reason...It'll wash all the oil off the cylinder walls and creep into the crankcase.

Luckily I have access to corn-free fuel down the street at the track. 100-116 octane...but it's $6-11/gal. Works great for any orphan that didn't get Startron in it before being parked.

Startron (by StarBrite) has been great for my stuff. Apparently it's one of the only ones that will 'convert' bad gas to burnable fuel because it has some kind of enzyme in it that gets the alky bonded to the gas again...or so they say. I put 1/2 a bottle in the KLR and topped it off with 100 octane when it sat and would only run choked...drove it around varying throttle the whole time and it eventually cleaned the slop out of the carb. The carb is a PITA to get out on that thing...
RobertTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Mechanics 101