Katana of the Month - April 2007 - KatanaSoldier

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #11
first ride
Tank Slapper

now that is a trip good luck
first ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #12
JimG4652
Kat Legend

eBay ID: supercompdragracer

Awesome! Definitely keep us updated and STAY SAFE!!!
87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
JimG4652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
loudnlow7484
Kat Legend

Sounds like someone's been reading through ADVRider a bit....

What is your plan for getting around the Darien Gap? Be careful in Columbia.... and take LOTS of pictures. Let us know how much you have to bribe the authorities to let you cross the borders. Haha.
Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.
loudnlow7484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
Zepp
Jus Sayin'

Very Cool!!! I would really like to go on a riding adventure like that too.

visit the Twisted Assassins
Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
The CyberPoet
Cloud Rider

eBay ID: MotorcycleAnchor, and TheCyberPoet

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
What is your plan for getting around the Darien Gap?
I'm curious about this too -- no chance you can go over-land through the Darien Gap on the Kat...

------

I think it's an awesome thing to do...
Specific mods I'd highly recommend before going:
- NRC or FactoryPro engine [signal/starter/etc] covers. If you drop the bike by accident on a bad road, last thing you want is a cracked cover keeping you from continuing. Parts-delivery time-frames can be a real PIA south of the border, esp. in some of the rural areas. If you need emergency parts, I will ship for you anywhere you need them to go during the trip.
- Remove any advancer if present. You need less heat, not more.
- If you're going through Mexico City, seriously consider installing a fan on the cooler, and possibly the bigger cooler from the next size up air-oil Suzuki motor.
- hard luggage & racks (I prefer Givi, but if you're on a budget, I've got a set of Krauser racks here that will fit your bike and you can use cheaper hard-bags from Pelican or JW Whitney).
- Aluminum tire valves (see my website at www.motorcycleanchor.com ).
- Restuff the OEM seat or get a Corbin (I'm also a Corbin vendor, so contact me if you need one cheaper than their price).
- Chain oiler. I've got one of those available too...

We have a guy from Mexico City that occasionally pops in here (Süsser Tod -- http://katriders.com/vb/member.php?u=821 ) -- suggest you PM/email him to see if he can provide any on-the-road support if/when you're in his area.

Will also suggest that you call ahead to a dealer in Panama and pre-order another set of tires and chain+sprockets plus OEM air & oil filters, or ship them down in advance of you. By then, you'll be ready to swap to a new set. Might also want to contact Metzeler/Pirelli USA and talk to them about seeding you with free tires in exchange for some publicity (specifically state that you'll be posting on various rider forums & your own website) -- for the cost of tires, they will often take the publicity related to it.

And as a mechanic, I probably have no need to tell you about on-board kit for repairs, etc., but you might want to look through some of the special lists on KR about it (such as http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=66450 ). Make sure you bring a sock or other fine-mesh material to filter crap gas through before it goes into the tank.

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet
Old 08-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
paul.miner
Knee Dragger

Damn awesome, hope to hear more about this!
paul.miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #17
CenCalKat
Cop? What Cop?

eBay ID: vanmann735

Why go all the way there??? Just ride around California for the month.

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009
CenCalKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
FDuranCol
Poser

Hi everyone,

Let me first thank you for all the responses and all the support much needed.

I will most definitely post pictures and information of this trip day after day as it goes by...

For those of you that want to know about the Darien Gap, let me tell you that it was one of my main concerns, and doing research i have found a little hotel that has established some trips with couple of sailing boats and ships that go from panama to Cartagena-Colombian port and from there you can continue to SA.
They have arrainged that you can ship your bike and your self from Puerto Lindo, Panama, they stop for two days in the San Blas Isalnds of Panama. In this untouched paradise you can snorkel in pristine waters which envelope palm tree covered islands with white sandy beaches. After four to five days we reach Cartegena, Colombia, an ancient town with a fortress from which you can admire the vast blue sea. Beautiful old houses with carved balconies in the downtown area of Cartagena are protected by the city walls, from which one can stroll around and enjoy the old city whilst also appreciating the sea views.
So what it seems like a problem now looks like a vacation!!!

here is the link

http://www.hostelwunderbar.com/index.html

I really apreciate the support from you all, i will be posting pictures soon, i am finishing the bike and getting most of what i think i need for the trip, i also may say that the goal is to reach South America, i am taking day after day, no schedules, no time restrains, no plans, just hit the road and live by it, life will develop anyways... may be i'll end up in Patagonia...God knows...

Thanks again.
FD
FDuranCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #19
loudnlow7484
Kat Legend

I had heard of the sail boats that make that little journey. Pretty pricey, if I remember correctly, though. (~$1000 usd, for bike and person?) Seems like a plan though. I had wanted to drive to SA sometime, but the cost to get a car around that same problem is even higher. Best of luck to you, and make sure you keep a thread open about your journey.
loudnlow7484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #20
FDuranCol
Poser

Thumbs up

Well yes its a little bit expensive, about 700 dollars to ship the bike and my self, but its a safe option, besides are 4 days with food included so...
there are some other options I guess...I'll find out when i get there...
FDuranCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk