Katana of the Month - January 2008  Erki

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #11
jackgold46
Skid Mark

I also suggest buying a $20 outflow battery power charger to keep your battery power lead off over winter months season if you're not driving it. Up northern here, we get a strong 6 months of winter weather.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
steves
Argh
Supporting Member

Spring time

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:13 PM   #13
BrandonF93
Poser

Default Piece of advice

I am in the process of getting my 98 Kat to start and I did so. First I would make sure that the battery has enough power and that I can hold a charge. The battery I had would never hold a charge for long and would not have enough juice to turn the bike over. DO NOT JUMP YOUR BIKE WITH YOUR CAR. It will screw up your bike and can fry stuff. Get a slow charger and a new battery. DO not make the same mistake I did. Make sure to charge your battery with the terminals open and then cap them.

Next I will check if you are getting spark from each spark plug. If one is not sparking, I would recommend to change all 4. Spark plugs are cheap.

Next I will do an Oil change.

Make sure that the hoses that are connected to your engine are plugged. They are located on the top left and right under your gas tank.

Also make sure the petcock vacuum line is covered and connected to the very last port (4) on your carbs...

If none of these helps you.. Now it is time to move onto your carbs. Best you follow carbs 101 if its an older Kat like mine. Very detailed. Also make sure to look at your bikes manual. Follow along and make sure you separate your pieces into 4 different containers. This will insure you from mix matching things. BE CAREFUL when you pull out the get needle. There is a tiny E ring. I lost mine when I pulled it off. ALso make sure you are using good tools when working on your carbs. You do not want to strip screws so use Snapon. IF not, really good craftsmen tools and to use the biggest screw driver possible. DO not use harbor freight tools on an operation like this because carb screws are important. Check and make sure the jets are clear, float bowls have no rust, and that your butterflys are slightly cracked open. Watch carbs 102, the gentleman takes apart the whole carb for you as a great reference.
MAke sure that your idle screw is in the right possession and that your throttle springs do not have great play.

Now if this does not help, you could have a blown out head gasket.

Hope this helps!
BrandonF93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk