X

Katana in a minivan pt 2

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what year is that bike?
    I'm starting to wonder if you all need a beatdown.

Comment

Just to add a small point. A small tool box weighing 20 pounds (10 Kilos) left loose in the back of a trunk can break through the split fold down seats of most small cars and create an impact of close to 1500 lbs at the dashboard during a 35 mph frontal impact.

I recently watched the results of a study done on transporting materials in your car. The mostly deadly was a sink and countertops layed in the car through the trunk.

The problem is the acceleration. If you have a cargo net use it! if you have tie down straps use them. If the cargo doesn't move, it doesn't accelerate and gain the effects of greatly increased mass.

Good points made.
      AMA member # 224227

Comment

Mojoe makes some very good points. In a 10g crash your 600cc Kat will effectively weight about 4500 lbs (2045 kg). Now if you have 4 straps each rated at 1500 lbs you will have 6000 lbs of restraining force so in a crash you should be ok. That assumes that the seat restraints hold up during the crash. Redundancy is a good thing. When my friend took his bike to the gap in a minivan he had at least 6 brand new straps holding it down. Remember straps do not last forever especially if they are exposed to sunlight.

It is easy to say that you can get a trailer for $1500, but that assumes that you have a vehicle capable of towing it. I drive a Civic which is not up to the task. My buddy borrowed the minivan from work for free

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
          Mojoe makes some very good points. In a 10g crash your 600cc Kat will effectively weight about 4500 lbs (2045 kg). Now if you have 4 straps each rated at 1500 lbs you will have 6000 lbs of restraining force so in a crash you should be ok. That assumes that the seat restraints hold up during the crash. Redundancy is a good thing. When my friend took his bike to the gap in a minivan he had at least 6 brand new straps holding it down. Remember straps do not last forever especially if they are exposed to sunlight.

It is easy to say that you can get a trailer for $1500, but that assumes that you have a vehicle capable of towing it. I drive a Civic which is not up to the task. My buddy borrowed the minivan from work for free

I am not so sure it works that way with the straps. if you have 4 straps at 1500lbs each...anchored on the 4 opposing corners, each strap is still only 1500lbs. For example....2 straps at the rear of the bike are anchored outward from the bike and to the sides...to prevent the bike from moving forward and sideways. The straps at the front are heading forward and out to prevent movement sideways and back. If you hit something from the front, your 2 straps on the front of your bike are completely useless. In fact, the tension you have on them will only help to apply more pressure on the ones on the rear. Same applies if you are hit from the rear....the front straps will snap. I only have grade 11 basic math and zero physics, but I do have basic common sense. And my basic common sense tell me that if you really want to measure the holding strength of 4 straps to its maximum, then it can only be done by pulling straight up on your bike so all straps are forcing from the same direction. This would be extremely useful in the event that someone tries to sneal your bike off the trailer with a crane or helicopter...and in that case they will get your trailer or vehicle as well. My point is that no matter what direction you get hit from, at least 2 out of your 4 straps have ZERO retention because all 4 straps apply tension in different directions. Do you get where I am coming from?

My trailer cost me about $700, and $200 for the hitch and wiring harness.
          I drive a plain ol' 5 cylinder automatic, non-turbo Volvo. My vehicle is definately not a power house. My bike and trailer combined is not over 800lbs for sure. It pulls ok, but more power would be welcome. 800lbs is not much to pull. You can do it with a 4 cyl if it is a manual tranny.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
            I am not so sure it works that way with the straps. if you have 4 straps at 1500lbs each...anchored on the 4 opposing corners, each strap is still only 1500lbs. For example....2 straps at the rear of the bike are anchored outward from the bike and to the sides...to prevent the bike from moving forward and sideways. The straps at the front are heading forward and out to prevent movement sideways and back. If you hit something from the front, your 2 straps on the front of your bike are completely useless. In fact, the tension you have on them will only help to apply more pressure on the ones on the rear. Same applies if you are hit from the rear....the front straps will snap. I only have grade 11 basic math and zero physics, but I do have basic common sense. And my basic common sense tell me that if you really want to measure the holding strength of 4 straps to its maximum, then it can only be done by pulling straight up on your bike so all straps are forcing from the same direction. This would be extremely useful in the event that someone tries to sneal your bike off the trailer with a crane or helicopter...and in that case they will get your trailer or vehicle as well. My point is that no matter what direction you get hit from, at least 2 out of your 4 straps have ZERO retention because all 4 straps apply tension in different directions. Do you get where I am coming from?

My trailer cost me about $700, and $200 for the hitch and wiring harness.
            I drive a plain ol' 5 cylinder automatic, non-turbo Volvo. My vehicle is definately not a power house. My bike and trailer combined is not over 800lbs for sure. It pulls ok, but more power would be welcome. 800lbs is not much to pull. You can do it with a 4 cyl if it is a manual tranny.
            You are correct Mojoe. I admit I did not think about the fact that usually only two of the straps are doing the work at one time (not including the helicopter scenario), but that is why I endorse using extra straps. If someone was doing a lot of hauling in the van I would tell them to add well placed robust anchors. That is why I made my comment about redundancy.

Where did you get your hitch? I have not looked into one for the Honda, but I know that my car has a rated load of 700 lbs and that adding a hitch voids all warranties. I am worried about overloading the transmission.

Comment

Some Awesome points!! I never haul anything in my car when my sons are with us. Reason A two seat stroller, it sits sideways in the trunk and just fits.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by JohnbliYayzzy
                what year is that bike?

Comment

that is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                    Where did you get your hitch? I have not looked into one for the Honda, but I know that my car has a rated load of 700 lbs and that adding a hitch voids all warranties. I am worried about overloading the transmission.
                    I got mine through a small glass repair shop. It is a Reese. Had to order it. All kinds of them on the net. As far as your tranny is concerned, add a transmission cooler. Check with your warranty on that. I don't see it being a problem because it is actually an advantage to have one anyway.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                    X