No announcement yet.
X

Who's running 170/60/17's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear you man, Just thought i can go bigger w/o having to do modifications. I'm cool with the skinnier tire, plus i love the handling and traction. 92 750 with modified carbs, able to keep up with cbr100's believe it or not i did! 155mph and still pulling! yea its true!

Comment

Size

2001 Katana 750 with 160/60/17 Pilot Power. No problems.

Comment

Originally posted by twizz View Post
        I hear you man, Just thought i can go bigger w/o having to do modifications. I'm cool with the skinnier tire, plus i love the handling and traction. 92 750 with modified carbs, able to keep up with cbr100's believe it or not i did! 155mph and still pulling! yea its true!

See, here is a common issue...

Your bike has a 3.5" rim on it.

EVERYONE else that posted in this thread so far has larger rims. Post Kats have 4.5" rims.

THAT is why they can run 160s, and sometimes a 170.

The commonly seen thing here is someone with either a pre, or a post asks this tire question... and then everyone one responds with both pre and post answers, causing confusion.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

heh yeah krey , I was scratchin my head for a moment there. sanity returned
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Krey; the voice of reason...
            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

i was told that any step above a 150 was a danger but ive got a 160 with no problems and still corners great.

Comment

It is if the tire was not designed for a 4.5" rim. Most 170 series tires are not however the conti road attacks are desinged for a 4.5" rim.
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  It is if the tire was not designed for a 4.5" rim. Most 170 series tires are not however the conti road attacks are desinged for a 4.5" rim.
                  Funny thing...If you go to Continetals website and search for the correct tire size for a post 98 Katana it says to use the 150
                  Stupid German Engineers
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by crbrichey View Post
                    Jeremy - great question, I am interested in the responses as well. I'm looking to get a little more rear tire width and height.
                    Wanted to clarify something.
                    A 150/70 is taller than a 170/60.

Comment

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
                      Funny thing...If you go to Continetals website and search for the correct tire size for a post 98 Katana it says to use the 150
                      Stupid German Engineers

Tire "recomendation" listings even on the tire websites is directly from the bike manufacturers. Suzuki told them what it's supposed to be. They don't test every bike and verify what will work, and the bike manufacturers don't give a "range" of sizes. Just what was put on it at the factory.

Half the tire places don't even list a match for pre kats... because they no longer make those sizes that came on it OEM.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        See, here is a common issue...

Your bike has a 3.5" rim on it.

EVERYONE else that posted in this thread so far has larger rims. Post Kats have 4.5" rims.

THAT is why they can run 160s, and sometimes a 170.

The commonly seen thing here is someone with either a pre, or a post asks this tire question... and then everyone one responds with both pre and post answers, causing confusion.

Krey
                        Krey speaks the truth I apologize for my aid in this confusion as I am in fact a post Kat owner

And yes, the manufacturer recommends the sizes for reasons. One step up is about the most that should be done, if any, IMHO.

what scottynoface said earlier is the answer: do the work on swingarm or buy a SS.
                        vwvortex.com : jettajake00
                        midmoriders.com :jettajake00
                        Go Cardinals!

Comment

these bikes came with bias ply tires stock... what the mfg recommended back then is not always best now days...
                          honda produced the CB125RR with a 110 rear wheel yet HRC races the exact same bike with a 130 .
                          They do that for many reasons such as cost, less weight, ress resistance, better mileage, etc. They did not do it for looks or better handling.

if you contact a Continental distributer or Michelin etc they can tell you the specs on the tire as well as recommended wheel size, speed rating etc.
                          I delieve Dennis Kirk post most of the mfg recommended specs on their site with the tire
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

If I do remember correctly, Pre-Kats can change to the same style rim in 4.5" width by converting to an RF600 rear rim...I'm currently in process of trying this as I jus ordered a used rim off eBay for $78 with a used tire on it...Supposed to be a direct fit swap...We'll see

Also probably getting the Shinko 006 podium 170/60 tire also
                            110/60 for front
                            Last edited by stretched600; 03-27-2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Umm, dont think an rf sa is a direct swap...
                              However a post 4.5 wheel is a direct swap. Just need the wheel, rotor, some say the cush drive is required but I'm using the pre cush drive on mine.
                              1992- project katfighter
                              2005- GSXR750
                              2001- TL1000R
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Well the only difference I've noted so far is changing over to the 5 bolt brake rotor... Cush drive, axle n bearings are supposed to be the same
                                And the reason behind getting this rim is to keep the slanted spoke same as the front
                                Last edited by stretched600; 03-27-2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X