Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi.

After wanting a bike for years, I've finally bought one. A black 2006 Suzuki Katana 600. I'm 5'8", 135lbs, female and 35yrs old. I'm discouraged by the number of posts saying this is not a good bike as a first pick but I'm determined to learn everything I can and be safe out there.

I'm a new rider. I took my course last weekend in the snow, rain and hail, and it went well - learned a ton and was very much humbled by how hard it was to learn. I'm certainly aware of the dangers I face being that I'm from the insurance industry and as the daughter of a doctor (who will not be at all happy about the bike).

I also have no idea why there is a bacon smiley.

Thank you so much for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

welcome! I think the kat is a perfect bike to learn or especially the 600. my fiance first bike was my first bike - 2006 kat 600. She's 5'6 160ish (dont tell her i told you - LOL). You'll be fine, just take your time and wear you gear. Congrats on living the dream!
    Godspeed
    CSBA #1167
    Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Welcome...I got my first bike last fall, just started riding for the first time this past month, and am loving it. From my lurking about these forums, I've seen that there is a pile of useful information here, and the members are like a big family.

And where else would there be a bacon smiley?

2006 Katana 750
      2001 Katana 750 (Deerhunter)
      2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

Welcome to kR! I didn't get started till I was in my 30s either(I'll be 36 this year) and I started on a '99 Katana 750. While it's not as easy as, say a ninja 250 or a Honda rebel, the only major problem I had was the fact that Kats are a bit on the heavy side. But taking the class was a step in the right direction for me too, I had been riding for 1 1/2 years before I could afford the it and I learned ALOT in class.

Again, welcome, and when it comes to info on Katanas, you've come to the right place!

Comment

Welcome Laura-

My '04 Kat is my first bike. I've found it to be perfect for me. It's comfortable all day, enough power, doesn't scare you if you accidentally grab a handful of throttle, just a really good all around bike. I think for some young kid that just got a license, it could potentially be a bad first bike, but you sound like you're taking a very mature approach to it all, and in that case you will be fine.

Some things that helped me (when I start something new, I like to learn as much as I possibly can)

1 - Go to a library and get Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. (there's a sequel book also, but just start with the first one) Read a chapter in the morning, and then as you ride that day, keep that chapter in mind, practicing techniques.

2 - You are probably finding other riders coming out of the woodwork, (like when you buy a new car, and start seeing that kind of car everywhere). Be very picky about who you ride with, and don't take any crap from other riders. If they aren't mature enough to let you ride how you need to, then you shouldn't be on the road with them. Don't let anyone pressure you into riding beyond your ability.

3 - Gear up. You spent a few thousand dollars on the bike, spend a few hundred on good comfortable, protective gear.

*of course this is all stuff you already heard in your MSF course, but . . .

4 - post pics of your new Kat so we can check it out.

And congrats on picking a strong reliable bike, welcome to the family!

Oh yeah, 5 - remember that most cars that will not see you are turning left. Always watch out for left turning cars. . . and minivans. Probably more on the minivans.

Comment

If you can deal with the weight, the Kat is just as good a starter bike as anything else

Welcome
            Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

welcome Laura

KR is a great place to learn alot about Kats, to make friends and have alot of laughs.

Oh and bacon is yummy!

Comment

Another lady wooooooooooo hooooooooooooo that's even better then bacon !!!

You'll be fine .. my first bike ever was an 05 Kat 750 and never had any issues with it. I'm also shorter then you
                Guylaine
                Try and keep up now

Comment

Hello and welcome to KR and your new adventure into the motorcycle world.
                  It's not considered cheating if it's a motorcycle, right???

2006 Katana 750

Comment

Welcome to KR
                    THE DOC
                    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                    mistake when you make it again.
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                      In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

Congrats on your first bike! Now let's see a photo of it. Although not my first bike, I've only had my 750 for about a month and a half, and it's a blast. Just take your time and get comfortable with your bike. The folks on this forum have been great to answer any of my "newbie" questions regarding my bike, and are very friendly and helpful. And besides, where else can you go for your happy dancing bacon fix.
                        It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

my kat was my first bike too.
                          don't be discouraged, and don't let anyone else tell you what a good choice for you is =)
                          you've got her, make her yours now.

welcome to KR!
                          the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                          # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                          [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                              "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X