2008 Rally Fontana Dam, NC

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk

Suzuki Katana Talk KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
steves
Argh
Supporting Member

Default Help! It's spring time and my bike won't start!

Here's a list of tips to try when your bike won't start, like in the spring.

Help! It's spring time and my bike won't start!

First, check the battery. Are the lights coming on? Are they strong? Is the starter motor enganging? Is it "clicking?" Obtain a Multi-Meter and test the battery. Is it reading 12-13v DC? If not... attach a battery tender OR attempt a jump start. To Jump start, get a car or truck with a 12v charging system. With the car or truck OFF attach jumper cables and attempt to start the bike.

Charging system looks okay? What about fuel?
Did you put stabilizer in the gas last fall? Turn the petcock to PRIME for 30-60 seconds to make sure you have gas in the bowls.
You can check to be sure your bowls are filling by cracking the drain screws (with a rag under the carbs) to see that gas drips out.

Still no luck? Huh? Time to dig in.

From here, you can try a multitude of trouble shooting.
Sparkplugs. Remove and inspect. Plugs should not be black, sooty, oily, or damaged.
Coils. Check for spark. Be sure to use a good solid ground, laying the plug on the engine might note do it.
All connections good?
Wires. Wires aren't frayed or loose? Boots have good connections to plugs?
Any questions about the plugs, install new ones.

Petcock. Is it operating correctly? Flows fuel freely on prime?
Airbox/Airfilter. Installed correctly and clean?

Is it still too cold? Try heating the engine or the space the bike is in. But be careful of gas fumes!!

If none of the above seem to be helping... then you likely have dirty carbs. If the bike will idle, but only with the choke on... the pilot circuit is dirty. Check out Carbs 101 and Carbs 102 in the wiki.

Ugh... it's spewing gas everywhere! Out the puke tubes? Gas in the oil/crankcase? Check the petcock function. The diaphragm is probably bad and/or you have a stuck float. Sometimes to unstick a float, you can drain the bowl. Put a small container under the float bowl to catch the gas... and open the drain screw. Do this once or twice. This will usually flush sediment out.... but can be an indication of a bigger problem! Like rust/scale/dirt/junk in the tank.

Hopefully others will come along and provide some additional sage advice. Please, don't post QUESTIONS here... post ANSWERS to problems.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Last edited by Black_peter; 03-16-2010 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Figured I'd just add to your's, hope you don't mind..
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
HemiKat
Kat Legend

eBay ID: jesmith382

Before you post a new thread about "Help it spring and my bike wont start," read this thread.

Also dont forget to use the search to find your answers. Chances are if something is happening to your Kat, someone else on here has had the same problem.
HemiKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
rexazz2
Kat Legend

eBay ID: uburocks

I would add one step before tearing in too deep

If it is turning over give it a quick shot of starting fluid in the air cleaner

if it doesnt start then carry on with plugs etc
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
steves
Argh
Supporting Member

Warm weather

No offense intended, but I want this thread to be kept on-topic with answers only.

Last edited by steves; 03-07-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Cmillz
Squid

eBay ID: armysoldier569

i just bought my 98 kat from a rich dude in savannah ga for $1800 with 20000 miles but its super clean amazing condition. the only issue is that it will run only with choke, onces i level it back to normal idle it dies..im guessing plugs are bad? carbs dirty? vacuum leak? need of a full tune up? if i do keep it reved up and while giving it gas idle it down and i ride it normal it runs fine but when i hit the clutch and not giving it gas it dies as well...
Cmillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Meeoww
Squid

eBay ID: kernscrew

I also suggest buying a $20 trickle charger to keep your battery topped off over the winter if you're not riding it. Up north here, we get a solid 6 months of winter.

'04 Suzy Kat 600
Meeoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
steves
Argh
Supporting Member

If you do that, make sure it's a trickle/float charger that turns off the current when the battery is topped off.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
2002KatanaRider
Chicken Strip

the most likely mechanical problem encountered after a bike has been sitting awhile is dirty carbs.

cleaning the carbs out is a super easy process/ the links steves provided are very good.
this is very preventable by simply running the carbs dry after adding in a little fuel stabilizer.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
krigs
Skid Mark

sweet
krigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
xarcherx
Rookie

Its has been said to actually ride the bike in winter, not just start it. I would have thought either was good enuff.
xarcherx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Suzuki Katana Talk