X

Is it getting worse out there?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it getting worse out there?

Lately I've had people crossing the yellow line at me, at the rate of about two a day, on my daily commute. Most are on cel-phones, some are just stupid. I had one broad driving a schoolbus (empty, thank Christ,) going through an intersection while texting, and two weeks ago an ambulance driver, half over the line, while texting. (Drumming up biz?) I also saw one schmuck on a Harley with the cel-phone mounted to his tank, tapping away with his left hand.

I'm at the point, I'm considering unloading the Kat, and sticking to off-road activities.

Anybody got any words of wisdom? Anecdotes? Rants?
    Is it actually getting worse, or am I entering the Curmudgeon Years?
    668, the Neighbour of the Beast.

Here in SoCal I wouldn't say things have been markedly worse than I normally expect them to be - there are always unaware people and certain neighborhoods have predictable driving habits, etc.

Every day there are several accidents on the major freeways, and that has been the norm for years. I don't see too many people texting and driving here - but it is illegal here to use a cellphone while driving at all without a hands-free device, which may be part of it. Or I'm just not noticing it.

I sorta think the baseline driver here is just pretty incompetent and unaware - we should all move to Finland, where the baseline driver is a World Rally Champion.

Comment

NorCal here - drivers are just terrifying. While I notice a difference from area to area, within a given area I haven't seen anything get worse, but I'm also at the tip of the generations that grew up with cell phones (32) so...if you're older than that, there likely was a drop off mostly caused by that some time ago that for me has just always been normal.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I actually saw a guy yesterday going through a busy intersection on an e-bike (probably lost his license for DUI,) with a phone held to his left ear, right hand on the bars.
        Go Darwin!
        668, the Neighbour of the Beast.

Comment

your right, I've been dodging more people lately.

Comment

The situation of "distracted drivers" has gotten worse. I rarely have a commute that doesn't have at least one or two accidents caused by an inept driver. Even though it is illegal to talk/text/drive, it is incredible the amount of people who regularly flout the law - as though their "right" to yap/text while operating a vehicle takes precedence over their responsibility to operate their vehicle in a safe manner. Common courtesy is no longer common on the road - it is trumped by self important azzhats that have no business being allowed to operate a vehicle - weaving in and out of lanes, cutting others off and in general being a scourge to society. Until tougher laws are in place and effectively enforced, one must maintain a constant vigil over the ever lurking dolt ready to pull a moronic maneuver in the blink of an eye. Stay alert, ensure you always have an escape route, and dress for the slide.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Almost got t-boned on the way to work by someone on a cell phone running a red light...
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Its getting bad in Texas, i see cops on cell phones txting while driving. I drive for a living and i can say that in the last 5 years its become a serious problem. Its like people cant go for 5 minutes without being bored. Drugs are illegal, they are still around. Laws wont stop this. Its just generation feels, an entire planet of sociopaths screaming look at me but only staring in the mirror.
                We may not always win the game, but we never lose the party.

Comment

This is a little bit late but it's getting a lot worse for all riders...I'm 52.. when I got my first bike I was 19..it really wasn't as bad as it is now..we have more cages on the highway and every freaking driver has some type of device that they r using and not paying attention to the road or other vehicles. ..it's sad but true ( whoa James Hetfield moment ) just my 3 cents

Comment

Working...
                  X