No announcement yet.
X

gsxr headlight swap into pre

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well here it goes, this will take some time and it will be missing some pics. I must have used more than 1 device to log this.
    first you will need some ABS "L" (edit) and some sheet metal, a small piece will do. We will use this for some tabs. You will also need some small rivets and a rivet tool.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    and a 2000 GSXR600/750 headlight $200-300 for a really nice condition piece, like this. [IMG]
    [/IMG] if you don't mind some scratches, dent and dings, you can get it cheaper.

you will have to remove the lens from the headlight. warm your oven to 250 deg turn it off, then put the light inside, after 10 minutes remove it and carefully remove the lens. be as quick as possible, the glue will reset once cooled. try not to get any of the glue on the lens, it can get stringy. it should look like this.
    [IMG][/IMG]

You will then remove the reflectors so, you just have the housing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

here comes the good stuff. remove the lens pivot pins, don't cut them off!! unscrew them. set those aside, you will reuse those for full adjustment.
    Got a Dremmel? better get one with a bit kit and a locking cutoff wheel meant for plastic, these wheels are way heavier and will last much longer than the crap that comes it the kit.
    [IMG][/IMG]

First, cut off the pivot perches as close to the shell with out cutting up the shell, a little left behind can be removed with a sanding roll or what ever you want to use, set those aside. now drill a hole in the center of that spot for the pivot pins to screw back into but, don't install them yet.

Second, now you have a basic shell that needs to fit the Katana.... so, now you can remove your fairing and headlight from your bike, if you haven't done so already. measure the width of the opening from, the Katana headlight stay, top and bottom.
    now get the height measurement. take all of those measurements and transfer them to the back of the GSXR fixture and mark the center points of those lines. I used a scribe, paint pen will also work. FYI the height of the GSXR Shell is perfect for the Katana, it is only use as a center line mark so, measurements can be made from a known point.

Third, this is where things start to get tricky, Place your original headlight back on the bike and measure how far out the light sits from the stay frame, not the mounting tabs.
    Now, grab your Dremmel and cut the headlight tabs off as close to the stay frame as possible. [IMG][/IMG]
    Now you'll need to cut the peak off of the GSXR shell to resemble the flat fixture of the Katana. (Edit) Your measurements need to ensure the housing fits flat and straight up, not tilted up or down in the stay and not too far in. take your depth measurement and mark the side of the shell. Now you can simply cut off the peak level with the sides of the shell. What we want to achieve is a nice flat shell top that matches the dimensions of the Katana headlight. don't worry about the top edge of the shell just yet.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Fourth, now take your head light depth measurement and your width measurements and verify they still fill the stay void . Now the measurements for the old light vs the new light will show the GSXR light is wider in the back than the Katana light. you will need to notch the GSXR shell to fit into the Katana headlight stay, cut at the width and depth points, keep any contours in the shell.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Some tweeking may be needed here and there, just make sure you keep your edges clean and flat, notches and gouges make reassembly problematic.

So, now we have a nice clean shell that fits a Katana. Time to rebuild the shell. You'll need the ABS "L", something to glue with ABS cement works pretty good but, it doesn't really matter what because, the shell is PPE and nothing sticks to it for long. (edit) professional windshield adhesive works perfectly as a permanent seal. Sheet metal and some small rivets as 4 points makes the piece even more secure, the rivets an clips won't be seen. Cut 3/8" x 3/4" strips from the sheet metal and bend them into a "L" shape. You'll need 8 of them. Take the ABS "L" and fill your cutout seconds. Take the tabs and rivets, and secure the ABS to the shell. Tabs mount from the inside of the shell, rivets through the front and ABS or windshield adhesive to seal the seams. Yes, rivets will hold through plastic. Now glue it down to fill the seams.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now you can install the light pivot pins. take those pivot pin perches you cut off, put a little glue at the hole end and hold them over the hole you drilled for the pivot, from the back of the fixture. you're just putting the pins back into the same perches but, we lowered the pins into the shell. we need the old perch to give the pins a stronger point so, they wont come off. as the light is sealed and repair would be a pain.
    back the adjusters out. now set the reflectors. you may have to move or tweek the adjusters and such the fit the reflectors perfectly. they must be even, square and flat.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Now you can refit the light in its new home. make sure the fixture fits snug without having to force it into the stay, make any adjustments necessary, you only want to do this once. (this is where I was over rambunctious, cost me a redo).
    [IMG][/IMG]

Ok, I'll leave this here for now, More to come, same Bat cannel, same Bat time. I'll review this as I go so, as I remember things I've left out I'll add them in the appropriate places.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-12-2017, 08:17 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Updates are coming, folks Only the lens and fairing mods are left, then the electrical mod.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran

Comment

Forkin photophucket........I'll need to try and fix this shit.....again...
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          Forkin photophucket........I'll need to try and fix this shit.....again...
          Imgur.com... excellent photo storage and sharing site. Easily set up albums, easy to load, works fast, and very dependable. They want you to share the pics, it's what the site was designed for to start with.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Got that covered.....just need to find the pics that were where they were and put them back where they were.....again. Tongue twister..
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

I'm starting on fixing this .......again and again
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

I'm going to fix this AGAIN!!! folks
                found all of the pics and saved them to a stick......just in case...I just have to remember where they went in the thread.
                Last edited by 92xjunker; 02-08-2019, 06:47 PM.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Looking forward to it. Just slap the pics in one post. We can figure it out

Comment

Working...
                  X